Thread: Sorry, but another humidor thread

Default Sorry, but another humidor thread

Hi all,

I bought my first humidor a while back and the clerk that sold it to me said that it had been there for a while. I mean at least three years. The whole time it was in the shop, it was stored in a larger, cabinet sized humidor. Is it possible that mine is "pre-conditioned" from all the exposure to a regulated environment and I shouldn't have to worry too much about it? The analog meter that came with it hasn't left the "normal" range since i bought it almost three months ago.

I've since been storing other items in there as well, such as my pipe tobacco and a couple pipes. Not many cigars at a time, three or four at the most.

Interior dimensions roughly 9" x 13", 5" deep.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.

Blog Entries

Hello.

I think it probably did season well inside a larger walk-in like you're describing. You don't need to store your pipe tobacco in a humidifed environment, as far as I've read.

Fill that humi up with cigars and get smoking. That will really tell you if it's functioning correctly.

Analog hygrometers are usually not reliable.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I agree with Will except...If your humi was closed inside of another big humi (regardless of the humidity conditions in it) yours will not be seasoned. My opinion of course assumes that you purchased a good humidor with a tight seal. The whole point of a humidor is to obtain and maintain a certain humidity within itself, regardless of external conditions.

Guess I'll just have to get a digital meter and see for sure how it's all holding up.

As far as filling it goes, any recommendations on sites that ship to Canada? I'm in Newfoundland, hard as hell to get anything decent here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    I agree with Will except...If your humi was closed inside of another big humi (regardless of the humidity conditions in it) yours will not be seasoned. My opinion of course assumes that you purchased a good humidor with a tight seal. The whole point of a humidor is to obtain and maintain a certain humidity within itself, regardless of external conditions.
    I have done no research in this department. Still, I would think after 3 years (claimed) of sitting in there, it would eventually equalize to its environment. Mine needs maintenance, and I suspect that it's more than just me opening it a couple times a week. I've just read about someone with a coolerdor who didn't open / do anything with it (for whatever reason), in a couple years, and it destabilized and the cigars were dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Logiter View Post
    Guess I'll just have to get a digital meter and see for sure how it's all holding up.

As far as filling it goes, any recommendations on sites that ship to Canada? I'm in Newfoundland, hard as hell to get anything decent here.
    Get some humidity beads while you're at it.

I'm not versed in vendors shipping to Canada as I don't live there, however a search may yield better answers.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Hmmm, good point. The humidity has to go somewhere, but where? I too have to recharge my beads every so often when I see the humidity get lower than I like. Would this happen in a vacuum? I assumed it was a combination of leeching into the cedar / cigars, plus dissipating / escaping when I open the humidor (which is wayyy more than a couple times a week btw ). But, if an air tight vessel is in stasis for an indefinite period...why would there be a change in conditions and / or a need to recharge the beads?

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    I have done no research in this department. Still, I would think after 3 years (claimed) of sitting in there, it would eventually equalize to its environment. Mine needs maintenance, and I suspect that it's more than just me opening it a couple times a week. I've just read about someone with a coolerdor who didn't open / do anything with it (for whatever reason), in a couple years, and it destabilized and the cigars were dry.

Get some humidity beads while you're at it.

I'm not versed in vendors shipping to Canada as I don't live there, however a search may yield better answers.

Will
    I have to agree with Will. I suspect that no matter how well you make a humidor, over time some RH is going to leak out and you will have to refill your humidifier/beads to keep it stable.

I have an electric humidifier in my 500 count and it runs several times a day to keep the humidity at an even 65%....and I might not open it for several days so it's not from being opened that the humidity escapes. Also, it seals quite well. I can drop the lid from several inches above and it will "whoosh" closed gently and not slam. I may be wrong but to me that says the seal is good.

Logiter

Hi and welcome to the board from Alberta.

As to the beads, I ordered some for my travel humidor direct from Heartfelt Beads (google is your friend) and they were here very quickly. So no worries, you can get them here in Canada too.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by Logiter View Post
    Hi all,

I bought my first humidor a while back and the clerk that sold it to me said that it had been there for a while. I mean at least three years. The whole time it was in the shop, it was stored in a larger, cabinet sized humidor. Is it possible that mine is "pre-conditioned" from all the exposure to a regulated environment and I shouldn't have to worry too much about it? The analog meter that came with it hasn't left the "normal" range since i bought it almost three months ago.

I've since been storing other items in there as well, such as my pipe tobacco and a couple pipes. Not many cigars at a time, three or four at the most.

Interior dimensions roughly 9" x 13", 5" deep.

Thanks in advance for any help that can be given.
    You should probably take the pipes out of the humidor. You don't want to stink it up.

Thread Information