Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Humidor safe?

Default Humidor safe?

Well my collection is growing and I just ordered cigars online for the first time today! I have done some research and cant find any real answer on what cigars are safe to go in with others. I am not keeping ACID's in with my others but my question is are cigars such as Isla Del Sol,Tabak Espicial, and java ok to keep with my romeo's brickhouse's etc. I keep all of my sticks in the cellophane. Thank you for your time
    -Mike

All the infused cigars need to be separated from the rest.
    I keep a small 30 count just for javas and other coffee infused cigars that i like to smoke every now and then.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

That frustrating so I would potentially need 3 humis one for regular coffee and acids? I guess I'll see how bad it gets. I have another question which is what is the shelf life of an infused cigar not acids but isla java etc thanks
    -mike

shelf life ? i have no idea i have smoked some that were 2 years old and tasted the same to me, maybe a little milder.

Blog Entries

Could just play it safe and get a humidor for each cigar. Problem solved.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I though this was going to be about converting a safe into a humidor.

What a let down...
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post

What a let down...

Quote Originally Posted by bondo007man View Post
    Well my collection is growing and I just ordered cigars online for the first time today! I have done some research and cant find any real answer on what cigars are safe to go in with others. I am not keeping ACID's in with my others but my question is are cigars such as Isla Del Sol,Tabak Espicial, and java ok to keep with my romeo's brickhouse's etc. I keep all of my sticks in the cellophane. Thank you for your time
    -Mike
    I recall reading that with the cello on it should be ok to combine. The aging and combining occurs with the cello off.

Good thing you don't keep the ACIDs in with the others. I did that once and almost ruined the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    I recall reading that with the cello on it should be ok to combine. The aging and combining occurs with the cello off...

You "recall reading", but do you know this to be true? Are you willing to replace his cigars if he follow your suggestion and things don't turn out as you "recall reading"?!?

...this comment reminds me of the current State Farm commercial with the girl dating the "french model".
    Last edited by ggiese; 01-06-2013 at 04:19 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    you "recall reading", but do you know this to be true? Are you willing to replace his cigars if he follow your suggestion and things don't turn out as you "recall reading"?!?

...this comment reminds me of the current state farm commercial with the girl dating the "french model".
    lmao!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Hey guys thanks for the responses I do have another question. Should I keep baccarat's in my sweet humidor or are they safe to be in with my regular sticks, thanks.
    -Mike

Baccarat's are normal cigars so safe as you can get.
    The sweetened cap will not effect the others just leave them in the cellophane.
    Last edited by Mangyrat; 01-11-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Blog Entries

Yeah, what mangy said.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

What CC86 said...

What a let down...
    Thanks for bringing up another painful memory, Buzz... That rat bastid still hs my Yugo and I ain't got nothing!!!

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Yeah, what mangy said.
    I second that

Interesting notion, I hadn't really considered cross uh... 'flavoring'? I'm new to cigars myself, well new in the sense that I'm actually stocking a home selection and the knowledge and proper equipment to store and enjoy them.

Regarding your question concerning cigar shelf life, and this may not be any more than an interesting tidbit of trivia really, but when I recently looked up a list of the most expensive cigars in existence (Top 12 at the Refined Guy site) some lists ranked some cigars, and interestingly the container was labled "Sicars" (obviously VERY well stored), recently discovered at a Mayan archeological dig as number one although to date not a one has been purchased. Despite anyone following through and actually lighting one up, a number of "experts" (of what they didn't specify, heh) maintain they are perfectly well smokable but maybe a bit on the dry side (yeah I bet, I wonder how much sarcasm was behind that term - dry, HA!). They dated them as roughly 600 years old so if one were to accept the word of these so called experts I guess the shelf life of a properly stored cigar is at least longer than the shelf life of a human being.

Also, I'm currently building myself a humidor using a small Brinks fire-proof safe I no longer use (honestly I took the title's meaning in that spirit as well, heh). They can still be purchased at good 'ol Wally World for approx. $20 and it's dimensions seem perfect for a small starter humidor (approx. 12" X 7.5" X 3.5"). With a lock and all, friends who don't know better may think I'm actually sitting on some really top of the line stock as well HA!

I'm posting a thread concerning what materials, adhesives, etc. would be safe to use in it's interior as I've now learned that even relatively slight odors, the burn-off fumes of lighter fluid for example, impact the flavor of a cigar. I'm most definitely not supporting what anyone would consider "top of the line" yet but I'd hate for even a $10 stick to be less than the best I can get from it. Well, even a $2 stick to be honest if it's conditions that I could easily control. I'm hoping some of the wiser Ladies and Gentleman here would have some advice on what I could use to craft the interior without the impact of any chemical odors. I'll also be posting pictures (if I can figure out how, I'm not the most tech.-savvy guy) and steps taken if anyone else would be interested as well.

Currently I'm using a 5 cap. Herf-A-Dor I got as part of a package deal I ordered and a 10 cap. Spanish cedar box I bought at a local tobacco shop (they sell the boxes their stock comes in - $5 for wood & $2 for cardboard, regardless of it's size), which also seems a great resource for converting to home made humidors or at least for the Spanish cedar that can be slavaged. For humidity I've been using some cheap $1 inserts but have yet to invest in a Hygrometer. For those boxes all that one seems to need is an insert or two and a thin roll of weather stripping (sold at any hardware store for a couple bucks, typically for windows and usually about .25" in width). Additionally tupperware containers seem to be a cheap, quick alternative for storage if you can't find the same kind of deal on used boxes

I hope some of this was helpful and please check in on my thread later as I'll be posting the general costs in addition to pics. and steps for construction. Best of luck and I hope you're enjoying this new hobby as much as I.

Sincerely,

- Mayam

P.S. As I said, I'm quite inexperienced and as far as I've been aware "ACID" is a brand of cigar (maybe brand isn't the exact correct term but you know). What about them necessitates seperating them from your "traditionally" flavored stock? Also, are they any good and for what specific reason? I'm excited to try any new cigar which these days is pretty much every single one, heh!
    Last edited by Mayam; 01-13-2013 at 12:33 AM.

I am currently on deployment, so I live on my ship, DDG 86 USS Shoup

What a let down...
    Haha I opened it thinking the exact same thing. Altho not a terribly bad idea, if you were really worried about you cigars

Quote Originally Posted by Mayam View Post
    P.S. As I said, I'm quite inexperienced and as far as I've been aware "ACID" is a brand of cigar (maybe brand isn't the exact correct term but you know). What about them necessitates seperating them from your "traditionally" flavored stock? Also, are they any good and for what specific reason? I'm excited to try any new cigar which these days is pretty much every single one, heh!
    ...for the same reason you would not want to spray your wife's perfume in your underwear drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    ...for the same reason you would not want to spray your wife's perfume in your underwear drawer.
    HA! Excellently illustrated point Sir! I indeed LOL'd. I don't type my LOL's lightly either. I take truth in LOL'ing very seriously!

Specifically though, I was wondering if storing any ACID Cigars among the traditionally flavored ones would "contaminate" (for lack of a better term, heh) them. I've seen ACID Cigars in pretty much every local shop, which honestly though isn't many by any stretch with just 4 that sell hand rolled (read: not Swisher Sweets, Black & Mild, anything "berry" flavored, etc. ) cigars with in 5o~ miles and really only one I'd classify as an actual Tobacconist rather than tourist trap or head shop, heh. I just wasn't sure if ACID is a brand of cigar or just a line of cigars produced by some brand and, either way, if all ACID Cigars are infused and need to be segregated.

P.S. After years upon years of seeing probably thousands of smileys I've finally found it - THEE BEST SMILEY that has ever been um... digitally smiled (I guess is the term? HA)

... it's not just an emotion conveying icon. THAT, Sirs and Ma'ams, is raw poetry in smiley form and indeed worthy of no less than a SECOND LOL'ing!

P.P.S I'm completely full of shit. I'm a total slave to the abbreviations that make up roughly 98% of every teenage girl's postings (just kidding - 96% tops) HA!
    Last edited by Mayam; 01-21-2013 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Clarification

Thread Information