Thread: Fixing dry cigar

1. Default Fixing dry cigar

Hi,

After exams me and a couple of friends always have a celebratory cigar. We do not smoke otherwise. I am picking up the cigars this time around. I went to a small smoke and gift shop at the end of my street to see what they had. They have don tomas robusto maduro which apparently has a mild to medium flavor so I was going to go with those (not sure if these or good or bad). The cigars were just in the cigar box, no humidor. Would it be possible for me to get them now and put it in a tupperware container with some moist paper towel and have them fit for smoking in time? I would need them on December 13th. Or would these be too dried out and need more time to re-humidify?

Thanks
    Last edited by jwhiteney; 11-27-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Blog Entries

Use a shotglass with some water or a sponge instead of a paper towel.

I would go to a cigar shop that has a humidor. As someone who has also smoked Don Tomas cigars, there are better cigars in the same price point or close to it. Good luck with your exams.

Mark

Team Blowholes owns the Whiny Bitches!

Just to add to the other responses.

I agree 100% with VancouverMark. It makes more sense to go to a store that specializes in tobacco products and buy cigars that were kept in a humidor than to buy them at some corner shop that doesn't even have them in a humidor.

If you do decide to buy them at the corner store and follow Eville's advice (it's good advice) you want to remember to:
    1) Use distilled water
    2) Do not over humidify the cigars.

A soggy cigar is not a good smoke. So, if you don't have a hygrometer to ensure proper humidification, take Mark's advice.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I've heard of use a new lining of cedar at the top of the box , but i feel if there is any such different way than do let me also know..

Quote Originally Posted by seanben View Post
    I've heard of use a new lining of cedar at the top of the box , but i feel if there is any such different way than do let me also know..
    Bad idea.

Adding a new lining of cedar to the box will just make the problem worse.
    The cedar absorbs humidity and will draw what little is left out of the cigars.

When i get in cigars that are to dry i just add more humie packs or humie jars im using now.
    the reason i do this is for my work cigars i tend to empty the humidor beforer i order more and by the time i fill it again the humidor is drying out.

IF you adding a few dry cigars to a full humidor then just let them sit for a few weeks they will be fine.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Quote Originally Posted by seanben View Post
    You're done...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Bad idea.

Adding a new lining of cedar to the box will just make the problem worse.
    The cedar absorbs humidity and will draw what little is left out of the cigars.

When i get in cigars that are to dry i just add more humie packs or humie jars im using now.
    the reason i do this is for my work cigars i tend to empty the humidor beforer i order more and by the time i fill it again the humidor is drying out.

IF you adding a few dry cigars to a full humidor then just let them sit for a few weeks they will be fine.
    Gregg,

Whoever "seanben" is, they are a spammer.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Thank you for the heads up Will
    I haven't been keeping up with the forum lately and don't know who is who any more.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    You're done...
    There you go again, banning the entertainment.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    There you go again, banning the entertainment.
    If seanbendover was in the least bit entertaining I'd feel bad...

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jwhiteney View Post
    Hi,

After exams me and a couple of friends always have a celebratory cigar. We do not smoke otherwise. I am picking up the cigars this time around. I went to a small smoke and gift shop at the end of my street to see what they had. They have don tomas robusto maduro which apparently has a mild to medium flavor so I was going to go with those (not sure if these or good or bad). The cigars were just in the cigar box, no humidor. Would it be possible for me to get them now and put it in a tupperware container with some moist paper towel and have them fit for smoking in time? I would need them on December 13th. Or would these be too dried out and need more time to re-humidify?

Thanks
    I'm just curious as to what you decided and how it turned out. Any chance for an update?

Thread Information