Thread: Any way to fix humid cigars?

1. Default Any way to fix humid cigars?

Hello, looking for some help here guys. I have a 150 Cigar Humidor, usually keep about between 75-100 cigars in it. Different brands, all separated. I smoke maybe 3 a week. Lately I have noticed that all my cigars have a terrible taste. I believe that they are too humid, all brands tastethe same, awful, like I don't know, ammonia? really bad.
    Anyways, I stopped smoking them and I'm now smoking straight from the box, much much better.

Is there anyway to fix the cigars in my humidor??

Thanks,

I'm guessing you don't have a digital hygro? If your humidor came with an analog hygro, throw it out immediately and go get a digital one and calibrate it. The cigars in your humidor now can be saved, keep them around 65% for a month or two and they should be fine. Watch out for mold though, if they were over-humidified it could be a problem. Another possibility, depending on the origin of your cigars, is that they are in their "sick period". If that's the case, simply wait a couple of years and they'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by DnQuijote View Post
    Hello, looking for some help here guys. I have a 150 Cigar Humidor, usually keep about between 75-100 cigars in it. Different brands, all separated. I smoke maybe 3 a week. Lately I have noticed that all my cigars have a terrible taste. I believe that they are too humid, all brands taste the same, awful, like I don't know, ammonia? really bad.
    Anyways, I stopped smoking them and I'm now smoking straight from the box, much much better.

Is there anyway to fix the cigars in my humidor??

Thanks,
    Tasting "ammonia" is a great indication that at least some of the cigars are in their "sick" period - meaning that they are in the early process of aging. Not often common with "domestic" cigars (ones created for the US market), but very common for cigars produced in Cuba. It may take 6 months or more for that period to pass, but the good news is - once they pass through their period they should smoke very well.

I recommend patience.

1. are you using distilled water? 2.Do you have a digit hygrometer? 3. is the temperature in the humi getting hot therofore raising the humidity levels? If it were me i would pull out a cigar in the a.m. and smoke it that night see if you get better results.

Thread Information