Thread: Homemade Humidor

1. Default Homemade Humidor

I just got to Afghanistan for a 1 year deployment. I would love to get a hold of some cigars but I have no idea as to how to store them. I'm not looking to buy another humidor since I can end up anywhere at anytime and may not be able to drag it along. Any ideas as to how I can store cigars?

Tupperware containers make great temporary humid orbs. Or - ammo cans lined with cedar.

Good luck!

Pelican case.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

I am currently on deployment, so I live on my ship, DDG 86 USS Shoup

I am in deployed right now too, and what I set up was a 25mm ammo can, and I got a few cedar cigar boxes off line and broke them down and put the pieces on the bottom, and took the tops off the others and am using them as trays, and threw a couple of Boveda 72% humidpacks in along with a digital hygrometer. its holding at a 70 - 75% humidity. Works for me! Just make sure to let the can air out a while, mine smelled like gun powder for a few days at first.

5. Default

^ outstanding
    The older I get ,the better I was

Can't beat the seal on an ammo can!

Quote Originally Posted by apostle228 View Post
    I am in deployed right now too, and what I set up was a 25mm ammo can, and I got a few cedar cigar boxes off line and broke them down and put the pieces on the bottom, and took the tops off the others and am using them as trays, and threw a couple of Boveda 72% humidpacks in along with a digital hygrometer. its holding at a 70 - 75% humidity. Works for me! Just make sure to let the can air out a while, mine smelled like gun powder for a few days at first.

You should take some pictures and put them up on here. There is a thread for showing off your humidor. I'd love to see that! LOL
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Can't beat the seal on an ammo can!

But you can certainly beat a seal WITH an ammo can!

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    You should take some pictures and put them up on here. There is a thread for showing off your humidor. I'd love to see that! LOL
    I'll see what I can do when we pull in to port, maybe I can find an internet cafe somewhere. We arent allowed to plug anything into the LAN on the ship here, so no way to upload anything from the ship. When we pull into port somewhere though i'll definitly try!

Quote Originally Posted by Eville View Post
    But you can certainly beat a seal WITH an ammo can!
    HAHAHA. Boy I would love to do that in my home port! Those damn things are EVERYWHERE and they constandly bark and annoy the crap out of me

Quote Originally Posted by apostle228 View Post
    I'll see what I can do when we pull in to port, maybe I can find an internet cafe somewhere. We arent allowed to plug anything into the LAN on the ship here, so no way to upload anything from the ship. When we pull into port somewhere though i'll definitly try!
    Cool!

Yeah, no rush so don't be in any hurry. If you can't do it until you return home, that's totally fine too.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Cool!

Yeah, no rush so don't be in any hurry. If you can't do it until you return home, that's totally fine too.
    Hopefully it wont take that long, but i'll post pics eventually. I kinda am eager to show it off, it IS pretty cool... But when I first did it I thought I had come up with something awesome and unique, then I googled it... Turns out its not that uncommon at all for people to make ammo cans into humidors ha. But its still cool non the less, and very cheap and easy if you are in the military The only thing I paid for was a hygrometer and boveda packs Oh, and the cigar boxes I used to line it with and use as trays. Total expense of, oh... $35 maybe?

Thread Information