Thread: Tobacco Pest Advice *Please*

Default Tobacco Pest Advice *Please*

I recently recieved an order I had placed on-line and when I clipped the head of the first of one of the brands I ordered I first noticed something whiteish rolled up in the interior. I took my knife and began to dig at it gently and finally started to dislodge it. What I teased out was a kind of "cottony" substance that appeared to have been white but had began turning off white from the tobacco. I clipped a larger section of about 3/4" and began to dismantle it and what I finally ended up locating was what appeared to be a web or coccon like material that was maybe about a cm in diameter (though it was more of an oblong / oval shape I guess) and inside of which was a shiny black beetley (deceased) looking thing that was maybe only 2 - 3 mm tops. Now I'm not a fan of arachnids in particular or any bug really but what concerned me here was all that I had read and heard about concerning tobacco ruining insects.

I searched through the web a bit and my best guess is that it was a Tobacco Flea Beetle but truthfully I concluded this solely from the picture. Those particular cigars were each individually wrapped, though not sealed, in cellophane but then wrapped again in bundles of 5 with cellophane and sealed there. Ultimately it was boxed with 29 other cigars though but they were all wrapped thusly, individualy and then sealed by the 5 count. Clearly the little sucker was long dead as well (I'm guessing it, or rather it's corpse, rode out the entire curing and aging process) and I saw no damage what so ever as was described and pictured in that link either.

I'll just cut right to the point: How concerned need I be about it possibly having laid eggs that could have lain dormant and could potentially "wake up" and commence infestation?. That was the one question I couldn't find a direct answer to. If I had to guess I'd say I'm 95% confident there's nothing to worry about but I was hoping I could run this by you guys and, hopefully, you all would be much more well informed and tell me for certain.

I've segregated the other 4 (I won't lie, I smoked the remainder of the little bastards "home cigar", heh) in a travel Herf and even stuck a slightly moistened square of Sp. Cedar in with em, though I have no clue if that would help anyway. Is there any reason to worry about a potential infestation from dormant eggs or anything? If so, how long should I keep em segregated?

In reading about tobacco specific bugs before I ever found the little stow away I kind of had the impression that an insect could reduce some poor schmo's $100 = $1000's collection to a sad pile of dust in mere days but also that the chances of a creepy crawly sneaking in and launching a cigar apocolypse were about the same as coming down with gram-negative bacterial meningitis.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer me on this.

Much Appreciated,

- Mayam

P.S It's also very likely that I've misidentified the bug altogether anyway so if anyone could correct that for me if needs be it would also be a huge help.

P.P.S Additionally, for what it's worth the brand and make is Alec Bradley FamilyBlend VR1 Natural, country of origin Honduras.
    Last edited by Mayam; 01-26-2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: added some details

segregate the cigars and send them back to where you got 'em. ask for a refund or replacement.

There ain't no entomology experts I'm aware of in this community. You need to ask the question of bug identification at an entomology website, otherwise you're likely to have some newer member cut/paste some crap on what they think it is.

Blog Entries

I think they're gypsy moths.

I tried to cut and past some information for you but some wise ass put a character limit on posts.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Dumass ,they are obviously Miller Moths

The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post

I tried to cut and past some information for you but some wise ass put a character limit on posts.
    Ha, shoot the newb a pm, he found a way around the limit!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Dumass ,they are obviously Miller Moths

Well I'll be damned!

Sure enough, there's the proof, right there under "Recorded Food Plants" :

Recorded food plants

Acer - Norway Maple
    Alnus - Alder
    Betula - Birch
    Corylus - Common Hazel
    Fagus - Beech
    Nicotiana - Tobacco
    Populus - Poplar
    Quercus - Oak
    Salix - Willow
    Sorbus
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information