Thread: Humidity issue

Default Humidity issue

Recently I ramped up my cigar purchasing and now have roughly 70 sticks in two humidors both 50 ct. they both are really full and both have a humidifier that came with the box and also a jar of Xikar gel beads in them. I came home from school to find my hygrometers reading 56% ?!?! I just calibrated them so I know they are accurate. MY question is, is it not accurate because my box is so full and because my hygrometer sits on top of the cigars it is not getting an accurate reading? Or do I have to many sticks in the boxes. There are about 35 sticks in each box. both have been seasoned correctly and I have had them for many months. Note* the jar does take up a lot of room so if it was not in the box I could potentially fit another 10 sticks in the boxes. One box has a 4oz jar and the other has a 2 oz. Thanks for the help
    -Mike

has anyone had any luck with these?
    http://www.amazon.com/Cigar-Humidifi...pr_product_top

Forget purchasing humidification devices from Amazon or eBay. Use heartfelt beads...

Not unusual the humidity is low during the winter months when the air is typically drier, or after you've been regularly opening and closing the lid (eg adding more cigars) And it's also easier to maintain humidity when a humidor is full - the cigars do a wonderful job of regulating humidity, so don't think you have too many in there. As long as you can properly close the lid, you're good to go...

If the rH is going that low - don't panic - just make sure to regularly check the humidity source (e.g. Beads, humidity device filled with florist foam, gels, etc) and ensure they are moistened. And seriously resist the temptation to open the humidor often to check humidity.

Also - the humidity needs to increase gradually. Don't be tempted to try to move from 53% to 72% in 1 day. Just put your humidity device in and let nature take its course...

Blog Entries

I'm no expert but it would seem that if you have filled your humidors quickly then the cigars could be pulling in a lot of the humidity that was in your humidor causing the overall level to decrease.

Regardless, like the real expert before me said, try the heartfelt beads and bring it back up slowly.

Honestly since I have switched to heartfelt beads, I don't even think a hygrometer matters. If your beads aren't dry, your humidity is perfect, bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by steffanan View Post
    Honestly since I have switched to heartfelt beads, I don't even think a hygrometer matters. If your beads aren't dry, your humidity is perfect, bottom line.
    So what did you think of my advice in this thread? Is it "kinder" and "gentler" enough for you? Or do think I might have been too harsh...

Thread Information