Thread: Looking to try something New

1. Default Looking to try something New

I have been smoking for a while now and Im just looking for some new brands to try, I know the ones I like but when it comes to sticks I haven't smokes im a little lost just looking for suggestions. I like medium to full, and price rang is about 10 bucks tops a stick. Ive been smoking romeo y julieta, La aurora, padron, rocky patel, and alot of Aj fernandez; like man o war, diesel, and ave maria. If you have any suggestions for stick like those or just any i should check out it would be much appreciated.

2. Default

Anything by LFD, Tatuaje, or Don Pepin Garcia.

Doc
    Do draft dodgers have reunions? And if so what do they talk about?
    Doc

3. Default

thanks ill keep an eye out next time I'm making an order or at my local shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewon145 View Post
    I have been smoking for a while now and Im just looking for some new brands to try, I know the ones I like but when it comes to sticks I haven't smokes im a little lost just looking for suggestions. I like medium to full, and price rang is about 10 bucks tops a stick. Ive been smoking romeo y julieta, La aurora, padron, rocky patel, and alot of Aj fernandez; like man o war, diesel, and ave maria. If you have any suggestions for stick like those or just any i should check out it would be much appreciated.
    This is Kinda like saying you drive a Ford product and like the ride - and then asking for opinions about comparable cars, yet not specifying which line (e.g. Lincoln, Mercury or Ford) or platform (e.g. Truck, SUV, truck, car).

We can give you lots of suggestions, but I'm not sure if you'll like 'em...

5. Default

I guess you have a good point, but isn't that the point? I'm lost when it comes to other "cars" so I'll ask a better question. What is the best stick you have smoked that is under 10 bucks a pop, and is not a mild. I'm not all that picky anyways except the whole mild smokes don't care for them much. It's just when I go to a website or my local smoke shop I could be scrolling or walking right by a great smoke but I pass it up because its not a Romeo or something I know. But i don't why I'm asking a forum to begin with it's not any help.

I guess you have a good point, but isn't that the point? I'm lost when it comes to other "cars" so I'll ask a better question. What is the best stick you have smoked that is under 10 bucks a pop, and is not a mild. I'm not all that picky anyways except the whole mild smokes don't care for them much. It's just when I go to a website or my local smoke shop I could be scrolling or walking right by a great smoke but I pass it up because its not a Romeo or something I know. But i don't why I'm asking a forum to begin with it's not any help.
    The point is - why would you not go through the member's reviews, which are chock full of great info about the actual smoking experience, in favor of asking others to just recommend a cigar? That way you can look for those things you like about your personal smoking experience.

And - if you're going to outright ask for recommendations, wouldn't it be better to let everyone know what it is you liked/disliked about the cigars you already smoked?

You may also want to do research on the cigars you've liked. Perhaps there something in common - such as a Cameroon wrapper, or the filler was from a specific country, etc.

Or - you can just remain clueless and bitter because you take offense to others trying to help you develop your palate by blindly leaving it to the community to pick cigars for you...

Blog Entries

How could you run out of new shit to smoke if you're smoking Patel cigars? You could smoke a different one every week for the next millenia.

Doc gave you some good suggestions. Your price range of under $10 is chock full of very nice, not-so-mild cigars.
    Here's just a couple:
    JDN
    El Cobre
    Berger and Argenti
    Camacho

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    How could you run out of new shit to smoke if you're smoking Patel cigars? You could smoke a different one every week for the next millenia.

Doc gave you some good suggestions. Your price range of under $10 is chock full of very nice, not-so-mild cigars.
    Here's just a couple:
    JDN
    El Cobre
    Berger and Argenti
    Camacho
    You have a good point about patel, and ill keep my eyes open for the brands you pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    The point is - why would you not go through the member's reviews, which are chock full of great info about the actual smoking experience, in favor of asking others to just recommend a cigar? That way you can look for those things you like about your personal smoking experience.

And - if you're going to outright ask for recommendations, wouldn't it be better to let everyone know what it is you liked/disliked about the cigars you already smoked?

You may also want to do research on the cigars you've liked. Perhaps there something in common - such as a Cameroon wrapper, or the filler was from a specific country, etc.

Or - you can just remain clueless and bitter because you take offense to others trying to help you develop your palate by blindly leaving it to the community to pick cigars for you...

I spent quite a bit of time reading through the reviews and making a list of things to try. I'm happy to say, I found a lot of cigars I like thanks to the reviews. It IS a really good place to start and I highly recommend you follow the advice above and go there and do some reading and make a list for yourself. I also make it a point whenever I go to the B&M to buy at least one cigar I've never tried before.

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post

Here's just a couple:
    JDN
    El Cobre
    Berger and Argenti
    Camacho
    Just to add to Jamie's mentions above:
    Oliva (I really like the series V maduro)
    Padron
    My Father
    Santa Damiana
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time reading through the reviews and making a list of things to try. I'm happy to say, I found a lot of cigars I like thanks to the reviews. It IS a really good place to start and I highly recommend you follow the advice above and go there and do some reading and make a list for yourself. I also make it a point whenever I go to the B&M to buy at least one cigar I've never tried before.

Just to add to Jamie's mentions above:
    Oliva (I really like the series V maduro)
    Padron
    My Father
    Santa Damiana
    Well I do read tons of reviews, and things like that on cigar aficionado, and places like stoggie review, but ill check here too. I never really made a list thats a good idea i normally just make a mental note, but with a list ill never forget.
    I like oliva alot too I wanna try the V series, I have a bunch of Series O chruchhills in my humidor and like them alot, and have the master blend 3 too but havnt smoked it yet. I also wanna try some my father. I really wanna try the Flor de las Antillas Toro by my father, mostly cuz aficionado named it #1

Well I do read tons of reviews, and things like that on cigar aficionado, and places like stoggie review, but ill check here too. I never really made a list thats a good idea i normally just make a mental note, but with a list ill never forget.
    I like oliva alot too I wanna try the V series, I have a bunch of Series O chruchhills in my humidor and like them alot, and have the master blend 3 too but havnt smoked it yet. I also wanna try some my father. I really wanna try the Flor de las Antillas Toro by my father, mostly cuz aficionado named it #1
    Sister Mary Deathstar would have smacked the crap out of my knuckles if I'd written something like that. Here - let me translate for you. I would hate for your thoughts to be lost in the translation...

I do read quite a few reviews, (e.g. Cigar Aficionado, Stogie Review, etc) but I also like to check the reviews on this forum. Normally I make a mental note of what I'd like to try, but with a list I see I might not forget. I've never made a list but that is a good idea.

I like Oliva quite a bit, but I want to try the V Series. I have a quite a few Series O Churchills in my humidor, which are quite pleasant. I also have the Master Blend 3, but have not yet smoked it.

I also want to try My Father cigars. I'm also especially interested in their Flor de las Antillas Toro primarily because Cigar Aficionado recently named it #1
    Last edited by ggiese; 02-19-2013 at 09:13 AM.

12. Default

A member, no doubt, of the Sisters of Perpetual Misery.

Doc
    Doc

Filipino, born and raised. Now living in Sherwood Park Alberta, Canada

Candela smokes, anyone? Green stuff always makes me curious.

Might be worth a try (or not)
    You are what you eat. That's why I'm a fat bastard.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Sister Mary Deathstar would have smacked the crap out of my knuckles if I'd written something like that. Here - let me translate for you. I would hate for your thoughts to be lost in the translation...
    Haha thanks. I'm glad you got the point.

15. Default

Chrisboy if you ever see a Fuente 858 Candella buy 1 and see how you like it. Everybody has a different take on flavor but you will be smoking a quality smoke
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by chrisboy View Post
    Candela smokes, anyone? Green stuff always makes me curious.

Might be worth a try (or not)
    It appears they are again producing Candela cigars for nostalgic reasons. It was something that had been readily available back in the 70's and 80's but lost favor with cigar smokers. Apparently the cigar manufacturers are trying a re-release, albeit pretty limited. And it still does not seem to be taking off...

I will say - personally - Candela is not to my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Doc View Post
    A member, no doubt, of the Sisters of Perpetual Misery.

Doc
    Yes! How did you know!!!

Clearly, ewon has never interacted with the sisters...

18. Default

George, I know them well. I still remember a list of eleven verbs, in alphabetical order, other than the verb "To Be", that take a predicate nominative rather than a direct object. And, I rarely need spell check.

Doc
    Doc

Thread Information