Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member, Need Some Help

Default New Member, Need Some Help

Whats up guys,

I'm new to the world of cigars. I'm looking into buying my first humidor to start my first cigar collection. This is the humidor i was looking into:

http://www.premiumhumidors.com/shop/...ge-deal-2.html

I thought this was a good humidor to start with because it comes with the seasoning kit and the calibration kit and since I dont know how to do either one I figured they would be able to show me how. I was also going to buy it with the digital hydrometer instead of the hydrometer it normally comes with, is one better than the other? pros and cons?

Any opinions, tips, or tricks would be really helpful,
    Thanks

2. Default

It's ugly and overpriced. If you want to spend $$ on a humidor look at what this place has to offer. I am only endorsing them because I have boufgt from them before and have had excellent results

http://www.cubancrafters.com/categories/HUMIDOR/
    The older I get ,the better I was

Straight and to the point. I checked out that site, I like this one:

http://www.cubancrafters.com/product...-CAPACITY.html

Do you know where I can get a seasoning and calibration kit? or instructions on how to do it?

Thanks.

4. Default

I will get back with you tonight. There is nothing you need to buy to season it. Perhaps one of the members can add their 2 cents about a digital hygrometer and beads
    The older I get ,the better I was

Heartfelt beads, distilled water (in a spray bottle so you can mist the beads) and a digital hygrometer (if you don't want to take the time to calibrate a analog hygrometer) is all you'll need.

Wipe down the humidor interior several times with a clean cloth soaked with distilled water until the water no longer soaks into the wood (2, maybe 3 times). Let the humidor stabilize overnight and the hygrometer reads roughly 70%. Load the humidor with cigars (you can safely store the cigars in a heavy ziplock bag or a sealed Tupperware container until you're ready). The humidity may likely drop - that's okay. (Though seriously resist the temptation to open the humidor often to check the humidity level). Check the beads weekly and mist them as necessary. Otherwise - don't sweat it.

That's as easy as it is...

for Cubancrafters! I bought this box back in 2005 and it's done me well with my modest collection. Probably going to upgrade to something with a solid top and no hygro in the front just to minimize moisture loss over time, but it's been a good humidor. Think I paid $75 for it, but my memory isn't what it was.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	3308
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Heartfelt beads, distilled water (in a spray bottle so you can mist the beads) and a digital hygrometer (if you don't want to take the time to calibrate a analog hygrometer) is all you'll need.

Wipe down the humidor interior several times with a clean cloth soaked with distilled water until the water no longer soaks into the wood (2, maybe 3 times). Let the humidor stabilize overnight and the hygrometer reads roughly 70%. Load the humidor with cigars (you can safely store the cigars in a heavy ziplock bag or a sealed Tupperware container until you're ready). The humidity may likely drop - that's okay. (Though seriously resist the temptation to open the humidor often to check the humidity level). Check the beads weekly and mist them as necessary. Otherwise - don't sweat it.

That's as easy as it is...
    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help.

When I let the humidor stabilize overnight should I leave it open or closed?

Can anyone give me a website to buy the beads from? Can't find them anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jmontz View Post
    Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help.

When I let the humidor stabilize overnight should I leave it open or closed?
    Keep it closed

Google "Heartfelt Beads"
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Would you also like one of us to stop by, set your humidor up and give you valuable pointers?

Kevin - I believe you're up! ...or was it Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Would you also like one of us to stop by, set your humidor up and give you valuable pointers?

Kevin - I believe you're up! ...or was it Buzz.
    Only if you bring some cigars to put in it as well. Thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    It's ugly and overpriced. If you want to spend $$ on a humidor look at what this place has to offer. I am only endorsing them because I have boufgt from them before and have had excellent results

http://www.cubancrafters.com/categories/HUMIDOR/
    Thanks for telling me about cuban crafters. The humidor just came in today and it looks sooo nice!

I looked on Heartfeltindustries.com for my heartfelt beads. They have heartfelt bead tubes and heartfelt bead humidifiers. Is one better than the other? Anyone have a preference?

Both do the same thing just get the one you like.
    designated whipping boy for the grammar police
    Just run everything threw a spell checker.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mangyrat View Post
    Both do the same thing just get the one you like.
    And that you have room for.

Okay, I bought the humidor, the heartfelt beads, and the distilled water. The Humidor came with instructions that specifically said DO NOT wipe down the humidor with a wet cloth. It said to leave my humidifier in the humidor with a cup of water for 8 hours until the humidor reached 72%. WHAT I DID- I took a tupperware container filled it with about an inch of water and then wet my heartfelt beads and put them in as well. I then left it for 10 hours and the hydrometer now reads 75%. Is this good enough for my humidor? Is it broken in now? because I'd hate to start filling it up with cigars and then watch them go bad just because I didn't break it in right.

Okay, I bought the humidor, the heartfelt beads, and the distilled water. The Humidor came with instructions that specifically said DO NOT wipe down the humidor with a wet cloth. It said to leave my humidifier in the humidor with a cup of water for 8 hours until the humidor reached 72%. WHAT I DID- I took a tupperware container filled it with about an inch of water and then wet my heartfelt beads and put them in as well. I then left it for 10 hours and the hydrometer now reads 75%. Is this good enough for my humidor? Is it broken in now? because I'd hate to start filling it up with cigars and then watch them go bad just because I didn't break it in right.
    I'd say your humidity level may be a bit high. I know from reading here the majority of members keep their humi's in the 65-70% range.

Once your humi stablizes you're good to go. To see if it's stable, take out the cup of water and check about 6 hours later. Do the beads look dried out? Has the humidity level dropped? If yes to one or both, then it's likely the wood is still absorbing moisture. It may take a day or so for it to absorb as much as it is able and your humi to stabilize.

Should you put cigars in before your humi is stable, they'll dry out some as the humidor will suck moisture out of them as well as the beads so I would wait until it stabilizes to load cigars in. If you don't wait until it's stable, you'll end up stabilizing both the cigars and humi. Seems to me it makes more sense to get the humi stable first.

Oh, and its called a hygrometer, not "hydrometer"
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    I'd say your humidity level may be a bit high. I know from reading here the majority of members keep their humi's in the 65-70% range.

Once your humi stablizes you're good to go. To see if it's stable, take out the cup of water and check about 6 hours later. Do the beads look dried out? Has the humidity level dropped? If yes to one or both, then it's likely the wood is still absorbing moisture. It may take a day or so for it to absorb as much as it is able and your humi to stabilize.

Should you put cigars in before your humi is stable, they'll dry out some as the humidor will suck moisture out of them as well as the beads so I would wait until it stabilizes to load cigars in. If you don't wait until it's stable, you'll end up stabilizing both the cigars and humi. Seems to me it makes more sense to get the humi stable first.

Oh, and its called a hygrometer, not "hydrometer"
    Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your help. Hygrometer, got it.

20. Default

Seems you're doing all the right things, keep on going, it's not a quick process, but like all good things it just takes time.

thank you for reading the instructions! i can't tell you how many humidors i see that are ruined by people wiping down the inside with a damp cloth. DO NOT do this! the cedar absorbs the moisture too quickly which can cause it to split.

I usually recommend leaving a shot glass (clean obviously) half full with distilled water or propylene glycol solution, in the humidor for about 4days, depending on the size of the humidor, along with any beads/gels/sponges you will be using for humidification.

once it has stabilized you can check your hygrometer and adjust as appropriate.

At the end of the day it isnt rocket science, it's a wooden box - if it's too moist, open it up until it drops to the correct level, if it's too dry add more solution and keep it closed. not much else too it. when you add new stock it will adjust the level of moisture within, no need to check it everyday, but keep an eye on it every now and then and adjust as necessary.

happy smoking!

Thread Information