Thread: Humidity

1. Default Humidity

Just got a new humidor a month ago, prepared it for a week using distilled water in a dish for 7 days. So for the last 3 weeks with cigars in it stays at 80 humidity with the foam humidor with 50/50 solution. Get it to 70 leaving the lid open then goes back to 80, any ideas.
    On another subject I remember having humidors in the 1980's where the humidifier was a clay ? Bar , what ever happened to these.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2150 View Post
    Just got a new humidor a month ago, prepared it for a week using distilled water in a dish for 7 days. So for the last 3 weeks with cigars in it stays at 80 humidity with the foam humidor with 50/50 solution. Get it to 70 leaving the lid open then goes back to 80, any ideas.
    On another subject I remember having humidors in the 1980's where the humidifier was a clay ? Bar , what ever happened to these.
    I actually have no idea what the clay thing is but I would assume technology is what happened to it.

3. Default

Clay discs were /are used in pipe weed pouches. Primitave but effective
    The older I get ,the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    Clay discs were /are used in pipe weed pouches. Primitave but effective
    I have a clay teddy bear in my brown sugar container. The stuff dries up and turns to rock eventually if you don't keep some humidity in it so my wife bought one a put it in there. When it's dry (the clay teddy), you soak it in water, dry it off and then put it back in the brown sugar container.

I never thought about using something like that in a humidor. Mind you, I don't want a clay teddy bear in my humi. Now if they made them in the shape of a moose or elk............

Quote Originally Posted by Steve2150 View Post
    I would say take the humidifier out and sit it beside the humi. I would leave your humi open and watch until it drops to 65% and then I would close the top and (leaving the humidifier out) would wait 6 hours or so and then I'd check again to see what level your RH is at then. Until you can close the lid and leave it sit for about 1 to 2 hours without it going back up to 80, there's no point in putting the humidifier back in.

Once you've got your RH steady at the level you want, then you can reintroduce your humidifier.

If the hygrometer you're using is the analog one that came with your humi, don't trust it. Get yourself a decent digital one. I have a couple Caliber III's in my big humi and really like them. I recently found out there's now a Caliber IV available. I bought them on amazon

Alternatively, you could google Heartfelt beads and buy and use those. A lot of the members on this board swear by those beads and don't even use hygrometers since the beads can be bought to maintain different levels of RH (ie: 65%, 70% etc).
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

5. Default

The clay humidifier that came with the humidor I had in the 1980's looked like a 12" ruler that slipped into a slot on the top of the lid of the humidor

Ditch the foam and get some beads or boveda packs.

Blog Entries

I have one humidor that has a clay humidifier. (A Don Alfredo display humidor FWIW.) Clay is a good moisture source but does not control humidity. Silica beads were commercialized in Japan to control humidity (or remove it, depending on how they are used). They just work better (than clay or green sponges with PG solution).

Thread Information