Quote Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and don't know if this is the right place to post this thread.
I am a cigar aficionado for about 20 years now and over the last year or so noticed cigars going missing from my humidor.

Last night my 17 year old son Paul came clean, dad I have started smoking. Watching him carefully light his cigar made me realize he is no beginner and knows what he is doing. Part of me enjoys smoking with my son, part of me thinks he is too young to start his cigar journey at 17.

Any of you have had the same experience and how did you handle it.

Rick
Hi and welcome to the forum from Alberta, Canada

As to your son smoking, I started cigarettes when I was like 11. Having my son start smoking occasional cigars at 17 seems to me a whole lot better than chain smoking cig's at 11/12........lol. But that's just my opinion.

If it were me, I'd let him. I'd just tell him he should not smoke more than one or two a week and that should get a job and buy his own and quit smoking mine!

At 17 he's almost an adult and you're not going to make him quit if he truly enjoys it. The most you'll do is piss him off and put distance you likely don't want into your relationship. Just make sure he's aware of the health risks.

I would tell my son I'd prefer he didn't smoke, but it's pretty hard to be convincing with a lit cigar in your own hand as you tell your son not to. If he decided to continue smoking them, I'd consider it a fine chance for some quality time with my son and would try to get together with him regularly to smoke a cigar and talk.