Thread: Stogies have a newbie!!

1. Default Stogies have a newbie!!

Hello All.

I am a complete newb when it comes to all of this. I have enjoyed cigars for a bit, but I want to started expanding my taste buds. I dont think I will become a 10 year collector or have 50 cigars in my humidor.

I have a few basic questions:

1. Is a humidor necessary for 2-3 cigars a week that I will smoke? If so, what are the true benefits of having one?
    2. Can I just get a basic cigar box?
    3. Any certain recommendation's as far as brands to try for a rook?

I am a huge fan of the Romeo Y. Julieta 1875 Clemenceau. Are there any similar? What are some good mild to medium smokes for a rookie? I dont want to spend an arm and a leg either on them. Prefer to stay under $6 per stick.

Also, are there any must knows for rookies?

Greatly appreciate the time and effort to clue me in.

Blog Entries

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay.

My take on your questions:
    1. No. If you aren't going to "have 50 cigars in my humidor" just pick up what you're gonna smoke.
    2. Sure you could, but a zip-lock baggie and a water pillow would work better, imo.
    3. Search the board for mild/medium smokes or smokes for beginners.....I'm sure you'll find something there.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum from AZ.

1. No it's not necessary (you could just smoke cigars at your local shop). Benefit is having cigars on hand at an appropriate, consistent humidity.
    2. Yes, but it would leak more than a humidor - so it would require much more attention to keep the humidity in the correct range.
    3. Padron 1000 series, Camacho Coyolar, browse the reviews forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

4. Default

1. I don't think so... It just makes things more convenient!
    2. Yes, wouldn't see why not.
    3. Montecristo No 2: https://www.swisscubancigars.com/ind...isto-no-2.html
    4. Montecristo No 4: https://www.swisscubancigars.com/ind...isto-no-4.html
    5. Guantanamera, but it's not for everyone.
    Last edited by bretted432; 01-07-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bretted432 View Post
    1. I don't think so... It just makes things more convenient!
    2. Yes, wouldn't see why not.
    3. Guantanamera, but it's not for everyone.
    Guantanamera? Seriously?!?

Blog Entries

It is a nice song to accompany smoking a cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    It is a nice song to accompany smoking a cigar.
    I sincerely hope so. Because that sorry excuse for a cigar by the same name is not worthy of mention as a good "starter" cigar. I don't know who in their right mind would recommend it - and would worry if I was new to a board and saw someone making that recommendation. Kinda like someone endorsing a Acid Blondie or Kuba Kuba as a "fine" cigar...

8. Default

Haha, am I the only one who likes that :D I'll admit, I'm quite new to the world of fine cigars, BUT I think that means I know what a newbie might like Or maybe I just have a very unrefined palette.

Any suggestions for me then

Blog Entries

The song, which has been around for decades, is sometimes viewed as anti-American or anti-establishment (Guantanamera is the feminized spelling of Guantanamo, implying the girl from Guantanamo Bay), with the first verse usually taken from a poem by José Martí - whose name Castro put on the H. Upmann cigar factory. I think it is safe to say that any product of that factory (including various H. Upmann, Montecristo, Diplomaticos, Cohiba... ) is better than Guantanamera. In fact, I think that it is safe to say that Guantanameras are the worst Cuban cigars.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    The song, which has been around for decades, is sometimes viewed as anti-American or anti-establishment (Guantanamera is the feminized spelling of Guantanamo, implying the girl from Guantanamo Bay), with the first verse usually taken from a poem by José Martí - whose name Castro put on the H. Upmann cigar factory. I think it is safe to say that any product of that factory (including various H. Upmann, Montecristo, Diplomaticos, Cohiba... ) is better than Guantanamera. In fact, I think that it is safe to say that Guantanameras are the worst Cuban cigars.
    The first Cuban cigar I ever smoked was a Guantanamera - which left me wondering what the big deal was with Cuban cigars. I'm glad I did not stop there...

I can't imagine any Cuban cigar that's worse - with the exception of some of those cigars that are sold to tourists on the streets throughout the Caribbean. Those glass top Cohiba's are to die for,,,

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    The first Cuban cigar I ever smoked was a Guantanamera - which left me wondering what the big deal was with Cuban cigars. I'm glad I did not stop there...

I can't imagine any Cuban cigar that's worse - with the exception of some of those cigars that are sold to tourists on the streets throughout the Caribbean. Those glass top Cohiba's are to die from,,,
    There, fixed it for ya George

My favorite B&M in Edmonton has some Guantanmera's sitting on the counter next to the till. As far as I know, those are the only cigars in there that aren't in a humidor. They are in tubes though....clear plastic tubes. I always figured that said everything I needed to know about those cigars so I haven't tried one yet.....and never will.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information