Thread: First humidor and tips.

Default First humidor and tips.

Hello folks, first post in a long time :)

I'll try explain my situation.
    I'm 18 from Scotland (I don't know if laws are different in other country on legal age to smoke) I've gave cigars a go since of turning 18 and strangly i really enjoyed he experience. I dont smoke cigarretes, i go o the extent of saying i hate them. I enjoy whisky especially single malts, I tend to purchase a bottle every time i run out of one and usually last me month or two.

I've smoked Bolivar, Guatemera, R & J and varietys within these brands. Recently bought Dutch and Brazil Cigars (first non cubans) Looking forward to getting home. I have had views of people saying i'm wasting money at my age but it's something i particullary i like. I dont drink alot, i like simple things. Give me a guitar and an open fire and im content all day.

As i'll be turning 19 soon i have decided i would like to start a collection. Planning on buying a humidor and mabye a box of 10 Montecristos and mabye few sampler packs.
    I'm not completely on sure if there will be a specific humidor i should get?

I have a big issue once i have something i like using them so trying to keep a humidor full without smoking them all seems like a hard fact for me so any tips on saving and collecting them?

Any advice on Cheap but good cubans? I try to not go any higher than £15 a cuban (I absolutely hate tax in UK :P ) or even good non cubans. I've bought http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/cgars-dutc...”-p-13265.html
    Just to have in the back if i ever run out, seem small but hopefully tasty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisb View Post
    Hello folks, first post in a long time :)

I'll try explain my situation.
    I'm 18 from Scotland (I don't know if laws are different in other country on legal age to smoke) I've gave cigars a go since of turning 18 and strangly i really enjoyed he experience. I dont smoke cigarretes, i go o the extent of saying i hate them. I enjoy whisky especially single malts, I tend to purchase a bottle every time i run out of one and usually last me month or two.

I've smoked Bolivar, Guatemera, R & J and varietys within these brands. Recently bought Dutch and Brazil Cigars (first non cubans) Looking forward to getting home. I have had views of people saying i'm wasting money at my age but it's something i particullary i like. I dont drink alot, i like simple things. Give me a guitar and an open fire and im content all day.

As i'll be turning 19 soon i have decided i would like to start a collection. Planning on buying a humidor and mabye a box of 10 Montecristos and mabye few sampler packs.
    I'm not completely on sure if there will be a specific humidor i should get?

I have a big issue once i have something i like using them so trying to keep a humidor full without smoking them all seems like a hard fact for me so any tips on saving and collecting them?

Any advice on Cheap but good cubans? I try to not go any higher than £15 a cuban (I absolutely hate tax in UK :P ) or even good non cubans. I've bought http://www.cgarsltd.co.uk/cgars-dutc...”-p-13265.html
    Just to have in the back if i ever run out, seem small but hopefully tasty.

Thanks
    If you like those cheap Dutch cigars, look around for Cheroot's - particularly those made in Italy. You should find them relatively easy and inexpensive throughout Europe.

Cheap Cubans? As cheap as you can get are the Quinteros. And dollar for dollar - one of the BEST cheap cigars you'll ever find. I hands down prefer them over the Guantanemera's.

The humidor is an important investment. If you want to store cigars, that can easily be done with a sealed container (e.g. zip lock bags, plastic storage containers, plastic cooler, etc.) Anything that has an airtight seal to it. But - if you're looking to store your more expensive cigars properly - choose wisely. Humidors come in all sorts of shapes and sizes - and made from a wide variety of materials. I would recommend looking for a high quality humidor with a tight seal. Choose one that appeals to you and is well constructed. It will cost you, but it's a price worth paying to properly store your best cigars.

I can store them without a humidor?
    Well planning to collect more and more, well try to anyway.
    For mean while might get a platic container with a lid and put all cigars in plastic sealed bags then.
    The missus has a thing for giving my presents in a wooden box. I might show her a woodenbox i may like :D
    That would be a good birthday present.
    I don't know how many EU smokers are here but does anyone use online sites to buy cigars. I like 100miles away from a cigar retailer they mabye have about 5-10brands and about 300-500 cigars in the humidor. They're not the cheapest but its nice to see what you're buying. I use 2 sites as JJFOX and Cigarsltd. Both brilliant quality in service packaging etc but seeing if there were anymore that do sell them cheaper. I see a few american sites that i wished they shipped to EU but they dont.

Thanks for reply it's appreciated

Howzit, As far as your first humi goes, get one on the bigger side, cause your stogie collection will grow exponentially if your anything like me. LOL

Blog Entries

Besides Quintero - I am partial to the Londres Extra - JLP Cremas or Conservas are better than Guan... . However, I would rank the Por Larrañaga Panatella above all these at the low-priced end.

Up a few bucks is the Por Larrañaga Montecarlo, and then the Por Larrañaga Petit Corona.

After that you are into main stream Partagas and Montecristo, Bolivar, etc.

I would recommend starting with Partagas Shorts. Buy 10 Shorts from the same cabinet (or box), and smoke one every six months. You will gain an appreciation of how a good Partagas ages over five years - the only way one can.

You might as well start now.

BTW, as this is an American site, we can't talk about actual buying of Cuban cigars, eh?

Thread Information