Thread: Calgary Flooded Bad

Default Calgary Flooded Bad

Calgary has had a hard hit this past week. A one in a hundred year flood!! Most of downtown has gone without power since Friday! More then 100 000 people affected and evacuated! I posted a couple videos on my youtube page. Our restaurant was without power until this morning, and we where two blocks from the encroaching water to the east and three blocks to the north, thankfully we didnt get flooded. But there is still absolutely no power in the north end of downtown by the river. Anyways just thought I'd share the craziness that's been going on around here this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wea_alta_flooding_201306022_27428911-e1371959622893.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	3460
    http://postmediacanadadotcom.files.w...0&h=330&crop=1
    Last edited by Roham; 06-27-2013 at 06:14 PM.
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Yeah - our Calgary office was shut down due to the flooding. We had a few anxious days helping our colleagues relocate. Didn't have a clue how bad it was until I saw the pictures... All I can say - WOW.

Back in April We had 100 year floods in the Chicago area as well. Lots of damage, power outages and roads closed. While it was bad, thankfully all has now pretty much returned to normal (though we did have some flash flooding earlier this week)

I hope all is getting better and you get back into operation shortly!
    Last edited by ggiese; 06-27-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Blog Entries

Terrible news. I hope everything returns to normal and stays that way for a long time after this.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Terrible news. I hope everything returns to normal and stays that way for a long time after this.

Will
    What he ^^ said! We've had our share of weather here this year as well. 89 mph winds last night.

Blog Entries

Dang man, hopefully things get back to normal soon. We could sure use that water down here, we've been in a drought for as long as I can remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham View Post
    Calgary has had a hard hit this past week. A one in a hundred year flood!! Most of downtown has gone without power since Friday! More then 100 000 people affected and evacuated! I posted a couple videos on my youtube page. Our restaurant was without power until this morning, and we where two blocks from the encroaching water to the east and three blocks to the north, thankfully we didnt get flooded. But there is still absolutely no power in the north end of downtown by the river. Anyways just thought I'd share the craziness that's been going on around here this week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wea_alta_flooding_201306022_27428911-e1371959622893.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	3460
    http://postmediacanadadotcom.files.w...0&h=330&crop=1

Well Roham, I'm very glad to hear you've survived the floods more or less unscathed. I was actually wondering about that and meant to PM you to see but quickly forgot to (I have a good memory, it's just short) because I got distracted by something else.

Our Calgary office is closed too as they're right downtown. We recently moved into new digs..........the new Bow Valley College building which was just completed a few months ago.........and is now flooded. We're presently looking for some space in Cowtown so we can at least still have people doing exams and such.

Now that the sun's out, hopefully the water will recede quickly and they'll have your power back on at work real quick!

Oh, I may have to run down to setup the network in the temp space (should we find something) so if I do I'm going to PM you and ask you which restaurant is yours so I can come for supper there (assuming your power is back up and you're in business again).........and maybe we can hook up for a cigar after that!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information