Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The time is...

Blog Entries

Default The time is...

... off for me. CigarSmokers says GMT-4 = 09h36, but it is actually 17h43.

Is it just me?
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

No, it's not just you. I think we need hexilicious to fix it.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

I brought it to Hex's attention - the time is pulled from the serve and i can't get to it to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    I brought it to Hex's attention - the time is pulled from the serve and i can't get to it to fix it.
    You should be able to contact your host and ask them to fix the time setting on the server. Chances are it just needs to be resync'd with their NTP server.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I brought this up months ago and no one is doing anything about it. Not only is it off by eight or nine hours, it's off by about four minutes too.

I posted this at 12:22am ADT and my post is time stamped "Today 04:18 PM"

WTF, it's off by eight hours and four minutes.

I'm not buying the bullshit about some "server" running amok.......there ain't no "server" that's off by eight friggin' hours AND four minutes.
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 07-08-2013 at 02:21 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    You should be able to contact your host and ask them to fix the time setting on the server. Chances are it just needs to be resync'd with their NTP server.
    Who do you mean by "you" and "your"? Our site admin who hasn't been around for over a year?

Good luck with that.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    Who do you mean by "you" and "your"? Our site admin who hasn't been around for over a year?

Good luck with that.
    I wasn't aware the admin hadn't been around for a while. I'm not even sure I know who the admin is.

So being I'm a computer geek by trade and having experience with hosted sites I contacted the host's support team. What I learned was, without being the admin, there's nothing anybody can do. (I figured as much having been the a co-admin of a privately owned gaming server hosted at a colocation site) He has to call them and discuss this with them.

From what the support person told me, the issue appears to be a nameserver issue and would be easy enough to fix............if the admin would call them........LOL

8. Default

Try some nice Cohiba Esplendidos for that: https://www.swisscubancigars.com/ind...plendidos.html Im very happy with them from swisscubancigars https://www.swisscubancigars.com website. Highly recommended.
    Last edited by bretted432; 01-07-2014 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bretted432 View Post
    Hmmm, my posts see to be timed correctly? Haha, that's so strange that this forum is so active, even though the admin has been gone for so long!
    Admin is here.

10. Default

Oh, what, are you the admin? Man, I really need to learn my way around here!

Blog Entries

I wasn't aware the admin hadn't been around for a while. I'm not even sure I know who the admin is.

So being I'm a computer geek by trade and having experience with hosted sites I contacted the host's support team. What I learned was, without being the admin, there's nothing anybody can do. (I figured as much having been the a co-admin of a privately owned gaming server hosted at a colocation site) He has to call them and discuss this with them.

From what the support person told me, the issue appears to be a nameserver issue and would be easy enough to fix............if the admin would call them........LOL
    When I said "admin" I meant the site owner, hex1848. Apparently a few others have "admin" powers but I don't know if that alone is enough for them to be able to get something like the clock fixed or the hosting company will only deal with the guy who writes the check.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

When I said "admin" I meant the site owner, hex1848. Apparently a few others have "admin" powers but I don't know if that alone is enough for them to be able to get something like the clock fixed or the hosting company will only deal with the guy who writes the check.
    I figured you meant the owner. I maybe should have said as much. *sheepish grin*

From talking to the lady on the phone, anybody with the right info can have a change made on a server. It just requires that pserson to have the account username/password. Since I don't have that info, I knew there was nothing I could do aside from see if the issue had to do with the server itself (like the NTP was out of sync) which they would have fixed had that been the case.

Blog Entries

I figured you meant the owner. I maybe should have said as much. *sheepish grin*

From talking to the lady on the phone, anybody with the right info can have a change made on a server. It just requires that pserson to have the account username/password. Since I don't have that info, I knew there was nothing I could do aside from see if the issue had to do with the server itself (like the NTP was out of sync) which they would have fixed had that been the case.
    Okay, I get it. Even if Hex (the site owner) has granted certain yahoos "admin" powers, the only way anyone can make changes with the host is with the account username/password (which is probably just and rightfully so, the site owner). So if Hex hasn't given that information to anyone else then we're screwed on the clock thing.

Reminds me of the problem we had on Snobs where the former owner has lost interest and was willing to turn control over to another guy but the holdup was he needed to give the new guy the credentials to communicate with the hosting company and that took a while.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bretted432 View Post
    Oh, what, are you the admin? Man, I really need to learn my way around here!
    I think there are about 40 "admins" at this place so ggiese isn't really THAT special, LMAO!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"

Okay, I get it. Even if Hex (the site owner) has granted certain yahoos "admin" powers, the only way anyone can make changes with the host is with the account username/password (which is probably just and rightfully so, the site owner). So if Hex hasn't given that information to anyone else then we're screwed on the clock thing.

Reminds me of the problem we had on Snobs where the former owner has lost interest and was willing to turn control over to another guy but the holdup was he needed to give the new guy the credentials to communicate with the hosting company and that took a while.
    Admin's like George have administrative capabilities within CN itself. Which is to say, within the forum itself. Typically, the power to delete a message/thread, lock them, band dumbasses after they've been thoroughly trounced (LOL) and so on. The other type of access is actually server level. With the account info you could remotely connect to the server to fix this time issue or do other things like backups and such. If this issue was within the forum, George or one of the other admins could likely fix it. But being as how it's server level, we'll have to live with the time offset (8 hr's in my case) until Hex returns.

Admin's like George have administrative capabilities within CN itself. Which is to say, within the forum itself. Typically, the power to delete a message/thread, lock them, band dumbasses after they've been thoroughly trounced (LOL) and so on. The other type of access is actually server level. With the account info you could remotely connect to the server to fix this time issue or do other things like backups and such. If this issue was within the forum, George or one of the other admins could likely fix it. But being as how it's server level, we'll have to live with the time offset (8 hr's in my case) until Hex returns.
    Hex has been made aware of the issue and has responded that he would look into it... (about a week ago).

I think there are about 40 "admins" at this place so ggiese isn't really THAT special, LMAO!
    Oh, Bill... You and your sweeping generalizations.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    40 you say? Hmmmm... Whom might they
    be? I only count 4.
    I thought it was 'gang of six?'
    Last edited by craig; 07-15-2013 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I thought it was 'gang of six?'
    Nah... That's the general inmate population (according to hogwash)

Blog Entries

I tried to do this myself, but could not due to security restrictions. I opened a ticket with the provider, this should hopefully be fixed soon.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information