Thread: great father/son moment

1. Default great father/son moment

Hi guys,

I have been smoking cigars for close to 20 years now and am so glad I quit my 2 pack a day cigarette habit.
    Last night as I was enjoying my after dinner cigar and brandy my 18 year old son Marcel sat down next to me and said do you mind if I join you. He casually took a cigar out off my humidor and lit it. I knew he has been dipping since he was 15, smokes the occasional cigarette with his friends but this was the first time I saw him actually smoke. He was definitely no novice and really enjoyed his cigar.
    I enjoyed our father/son moment and asked him how long he had been smoking cigars. Well over a year now dad, was smoking close to a pack of Belmonts a day and decided to quit and smoke these instead.
    He is 18 years old, old enough to be aware of the health dangers so I did not feel I should make a fuss about it and thoroughly enjoyed our shared habit.
    Do any of you have sons who enjoy a good cigar together with you?

Great moment I'm sure. I cannot wait to enjoy that moment with my son one day. My father describes them as disgusting so I don't have that to share with him but my grandpa doesn't mind a good smoke when I have the opportunity to come home. Nothing better than sharing that moment and relishing on stories from his past.

My son and I started smoking cigars together when he was 18. On his 21st birthday, with the blessing of mom, he and I had a Las Vegas adventure (and he even lived after drinking a "yard"). Our special times together like that seem to be less and less as work and life seem to get in the way. But both of us recognize how important those times are.

As they say - there are five things you'll never recover

The stone, after it has been thrown...
    The word, after it's been spoken
    The time, once it's passed by...
    The occasion, once it's missed...
    A person, once they die...

Soon enough your son won't have the quality time to spend with you. Enjoy each and every minute...

My cigar moment came right after my son Anthony went college. After he went back for his second semester of his freshman year, he text me that he wanted to take some cigars back to school after Spring break. This was surprising as he never showed any interest in smoking them previously, so I asked what brought this on.

He went on to tell me that he was hanging out with some friends, throwing around a frisbee, and a few guys were smoking cigars....and as soon as he smelled the aroma, the whole history of me, my brothers, and my friends smoking them hit him. He said it reminded him of home, the holidays, and all the special occasions he saw us smoking and joking around. He said at that moment, "he got it". Just hanging with the guys, having a great time, smoking cigars..

After he got home from school, we got him a humidor and filled it with cigars. I bought him a box of Short Stories and a bunch of my friends dropped off bags of cigars....all the while we were sharing a smoke when they came. Needless to say he went back with a huge stash and it was the start of 'cigars nights' on campus. He remembered seeing how many cigars I would always give away over the years and now he was doing the same...and how gratifying it was to share his cigars with his friends now.

We've been smoking cigars together since then as he's now almost 26. He's been to the Quad State Herf three years, we've gone on vacations together and enjoyed many cigar bars and enjoy an after dinner cigar a few times a week....and I enjoy every second of it. It provokes great conversations between us and has definitely strengthened our relationship.

He is now the fifth generation in our family to take up this great pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
    My cigar moment came right after my son Anthony went college. After he went back for his second semester of his freshman year, he text me that he wanted to take some cigars back to school after Spring break. This was surprising as he never showed any interest in smoking them previously, so I asked what brought this on.

He went on to tell me that he was hanging out with some friends, throwing around a frisbee, and a few guys were smoking cigars....and as soon as he smelled the aroma, the whole history of me, my brothers, and my friends smoking them hit him. He said it reminded him of home, the holidays, and all the special occasions he saw us smoking and joking around. He said at that moment, "he got it". Just hanging with the guys, having a great time, smoking cigars..

After he got home from school, we got him a humidor and filled it with cigars. I bought him a box of Short Stories and a bunch of my friends dropped off bags of cigars....all the while we were sharing a smoke when they came. Needless to say he went back with a huge stash and it was the start of 'cigars nights' on campus. He remembered seeing how many cigars I would always give away over the years and now he was doing the same...and how gratifying it was to share his cigars with his friends now.

We've been smoking cigars together since then as he's now almost 26. He's been to the Quad State Herf three years, we've gone on vacations together and enjoyed many cigar bars and enjoy an after dinner cigar a few times a week....and I enjoy every second of it. It provokes great conversations between us and has definitely strengthened our relationship.

Great story, thanks for sharing. All the way it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it.

My son (he's 24) isn't into cigars but he doesn't mind hanging out on the deck with me while I smoke one so whenever we have the chance, it's great to sit and visit with him while I smoke one. It's not quite the same thing, but it's close
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Awesome story! Thanks for sharing it.

My son (he's 24) isn't into cigars but he doesn't mind hanging out on the deck with me while I smoke one so whenever we have the chance, it's great to sit and visit with him while I smoke one. It's not quite the same thing, but it's close
    My 26 year old daughter and her 3 yr old son LOVE to sit with me and taunt with "cigar smoking makes your lungs black..." I somehow still enjoy their presence...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    My 26 year old daughter and her 3 yr old son LOVE to sit with me and taunt with "cigar smoking makes your lungs black..." I somehow still enjoy their presence...
    LOL - I totally understand why! What do you want to bet your grandson will always associate the smell of cigars with grandpa! And, it'll be great, and favorite memory of his. In fact, I'd not be surprised if you find yourself one day sitting smoking a cigar with him too!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Thread Information