Quote Originally Posted by MikePach View Post
Hey Guys,

So I've got myself a vintage Goyard steamer trunk, and I've been trying to get someone to turn it into, basically, a giant desktop preferably with both active humidification and temp control. Does anyone know of any custom shops or craftsmen who'd be willing/able to do this kind of work? I understand it won't be cheap, and it will probably take a while to complete.

Thanks,
Mike
I looked into doing something similar with a Crown Royal box a while back. It is going to cost (why I never bothered) but most any fine carpenter/cabinet maker could do the job for you. You would want the entire inside lined with spanish cedar and some shelves made I'm thinking. I would use no less than 1/8" thick wood.

As for humidifying, I would probably go with Heartfelt brand humidity beads but if you want to use an electric humidifier, run electrical into the humidor with an outlet inside. Beads would be better I'm thinking and you could buy enough to do the job and have half in the bottom, half in the top. If you need/want a hygrometer, I'd look into one with a remote sensor. You could then mount the sensor inside and have the display on top/side of the outside of the humidor so you'd never have to open it to check your RH level.

I love the idea btw and think it would make a very cool humidor.

If I had the money to afford the cigars required to make it worth my while, there's a cedar sauna in my house that we never use. I wouldn't mind turning that into a walk-in humidor but in all honesty, I can't afford to fill it with cigars......LOL