Thread: Re-Introduction

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re-Introduction

Hi all,

It's been a while since I was here so I thought I'd reintroduce myself for the newer members and give a rundown of what's been going on with me for the old timers.

I've totally retired. No part time jobs, no start-ups, no nothing! I'm enjoying the hell out of it this time. Pauline still has a while to go, but we're looking forward to traveling a bit when she retires.

I was involved in the India operations part of a start-up pharma company (some of you may remember.) My duties moved from the US to India and it presented an opportunity for me to leave. I'm still invested in the company and occasionally helpout with some of the historical aspects, but I've handed off everything I was doing to folks in India.

Sold the Shelby and bought an Aston Martin Vantage a little over a year ago. It was a great car and I loved driving it, but totally impractical for road trips because of the lack of trunk space. So after our last road trip I traded it for a 2013 Jaguar XJ. I have to say it is a wonderful car.

For a long time I was smoking mostly CC's, but at the risk of getting a bit political I made a decision a few months ago to stop because of the shipment of military weapons discovered going from Russia to Cuba to N. Korea. Just kind of hit a hot button for me. So now I'm exploring new NC's and hoping I can find some things that I enjoy. I have so far liked the Julius Caesar and the Jose Suijas, but I'm not having much luck finding anything new that impresses me much. I went to a cigar festival in Boulder last month where I was able to get about 30 different faces that I hadn't tried. I'm working my way through them but so far I haven't found anything that I would buy. Hopefully I'll find something that I will want to try a second time. Of course, there's still some old favorites that I never gave up on. I was in Las Vegas a while back and tried a Davidoff from their store in the MGM Grand. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but unfortunately I was in no shape to remember exactly which one it was, so I'll probably pick up a sampler pretty soon. Any suggestions?

My current concern is centered around my dog, Rocky. I've had him over 14 years and I don't know how much longer he will be around. There have been a few times when I was convinced it was time to put him down, but then he rallies (in the sense that he doesn't seem to hurt so much) and seems to get around ok, although slow. I know he hurts because his legs will give out a few times a day when he is walking around the house and he just hits the floor. He gets back up, but slowly. He hesitates going up and down stairs and doesn't like to play or even be petted around his back hips. He's on pain killers and the vet says she'll help me whenever I think it's time. In truth, it's probably time, but I can't bring myself to put him down just yet. I keep hoping that he will just go to sleep some night and not wake up.

So that's a quick rundown. I'll be searching through the forum to try to catch up a bit, but let me know what's been going on with you guys. And to all of the new guys who came on in the past 3 years or so, a belated welcome!

Cheers!
    Mark

2. Default

Aston Martin???????????????? you suck Mark. Welcome back :)
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

I am fairly new here so it seems odd to welcome you back, but welcome back anyway. I hope you are able to stay active again for a while so I can get to know you a bit.

BTW, all cars mentioned are out of my league, but I would love to have an Aston Martin someday.

Sorry to hear about the dog, I am in a similar boat there. I have a 12 year old Saint Bernard and her legs are starting to give out on her a lot. It's tough to think about having to let go at some point.

Blog Entries

Welcome back!

x2 on the dog. Had to put my girl down a few years ago. I got the green light from wifey to get a new dog, maybe even as soon as this weekend.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Hey MARK! Great to see you back around these parts. I gotta say, great call on the Jaguar XJ and I do love Aston Martins too.

I smoke very few Cuban cigars these days as well. Unfortunately, I got hooked on Davidoffs about three years ago... crazy expensive but I think they're great cigars and worth the money. I also still smoke Añejos, Opus X (when you can find them which these days is harder than it used to be) and Padron 1926s maduros.

As far as the Davidoffs, the Classics are a little too mild for me, the Thousand Series I smoke occasionally, my favorites are the Gran Crus (the #2) and the Specials (Special R & Double R). The Anniversarios are third on my favorite list (the #3). The new Puro d'Oros are good and so are the brand new Nicaraguans.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Do I know you?

Holy crap Mark, welcome back, nice to see ya!! Sorry to hear about Rocky, brother. Stan is getting there too, his sight is going away and his hearing is just about gone already. He's still a good boy, and as much a smartass as always, but I fear his days are numbered. I have absolutely no idea what I'll do when he's gone. I'll have to change my avatar as I'm sure I won't be able to even look at it for quite some time.

Glad you finally gave up the daily grind, you deserve it. Been doing any flying when you're not driving those foreign cars?

Lost both my parents since you've been away, Pops in August of '11 and Mom in January of this year. Sigh, I miss them both very much.

If you need somewhere to dispose of all those heathen cigars you've amassed, I can send you an address!! Funny, you're exploring new NC's, and I've given up on them and gone to the dark side for exploration. All the limited release and boutique over-priced smokes soured me on even trying any new ones.

Like KingBeefy, I'm fairly new here but wish to say hi and tell you it's a pleasure to meet you.

But I have to tell you guys that you're all killing me this morning!

My dad just passed away on the 8th.

Two years ago we had to say goodbye to my wife's 14 year old dog who was one of the coolest dogs I've known.

So reading this has me all misty eyed and a little blue on this fine Friday morning.

Jamie, my sincere condolences on your recent losses.

With regard to letting old 4-legged friends go, I'd love to say something profound but the simple truth is, if your friend is in constant pain and their quality of life is such that they're no longer enjoying life, you need to ask yourself what's best for your beloved pet and put your own feelings aside. We did that with Ashes and I know in my heart it was the right decision......albeit a hard and painful one.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Hey Mark, nice to see you back :-).

Sorry to hear about Rocky's condition.

A few of my friends sometimes used to ask me when I would be getting a dog again - I didn't - and don't - know what to say to them. Some pets are just more than, well, pets.

Thread Information