Thread: Re-Introduction

Default Re-Introduction

Hi all,

It's been a while since I was here so I thought I'd reintroduce myself for the newer members and give a rundown of what's been going on with me for the old timers.

I've totally retired. No part time jobs, no start-ups, no nothing! I'm enjoying the hell out of it this time. Pauline still has a while to go, but we're looking forward to traveling a bit when she retires.

I was involved in the India operations part of a start-up pharma company (some of you may remember.) My duties moved from the US to India and it presented an opportunity for me to leave. I'm still invested in the company and occasionally helpout with some of the historical aspects, but I've handed off everything I was doing to folks in India.

Sold the Shelby and bought an Aston Martin Vantage a little over a year ago. It was a great car and I loved driving it, but totally impractical for road trips because of the lack of trunk space. So after our last road trip I traded it for a 2013 Jaguar XJ. I have to say it is a wonderful car.

For a long time I was smoking mostly CC's, but at the risk of getting a bit political I made a decision a few months ago to stop because of the shipment of military weapons discovered going from Russia to Cuba to N. Korea. Just kind of hit a hot button for me. So now I'm exploring new NC's and hoping I can find some things that I enjoy. I have so far liked the Julius Caesar and the Jose Suijas, but I'm not having much luck finding anything new that impresses me much. I went to a cigar festival in Boulder last month where I was able to get about 30 different faces that I hadn't tried. I'm working my way through them but so far I haven't found anything that I would buy. Hopefully I'll find something that I will want to try a second time. Of course, there's still some old favorites that I never gave up on. I was in Las Vegas a while back and tried a Davidoff from their store in the MGM Grand. I enjoyed the hell out of it, but unfortunately I was in no shape to remember exactly which one it was, so I'll probably pick up a sampler pretty soon. Any suggestions?

My current concern is centered around my dog, Rocky. I've had him over 14 years and I don't know how much longer he will be around. There have been a few times when I was convinced it was time to put him down, but then he rallies (in the sense that he doesn't seem to hurt so much) and seems to get around ok, although slow. I know he hurts because his legs will give out a few times a day when he is walking around the house and he just hits the floor. He gets back up, but slowly. He hesitates going up and down stairs and doesn't like to play or even be petted around his back hips. He's on pain killers and the vet says she'll help me whenever I think it's time. In truth, it's probably time, but I can't bring myself to put him down just yet. I keep hoping that he will just go to sleep some night and not wake up.

So that's a quick rundown. I'll be searching through the forum to try to catch up a bit, but let me know what's been going on with you guys. And to all of the new guys who came on in the past 3 years or so, a belated welcome!

Cheers!
    Mark

2. Default

Aston Martin???????????????? you suck Mark. Welcome back :)
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

I am fairly new here so it seems odd to welcome you back, but welcome back anyway. I hope you are able to stay active again for a while so I can get to know you a bit.

BTW, all cars mentioned are out of my league, but I would love to have an Aston Martin someday.

Sorry to hear about the dog, I am in a similar boat there. I have a 12 year old Saint Bernard and her legs are starting to give out on her a lot. It's tough to think about having to let go at some point.

Blog Entries

Welcome back!

x2 on the dog. Had to put my girl down a few years ago. I got the green light from wifey to get a new dog, maybe even as soon as this weekend.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Hey MARK! Great to see you back around these parts. I gotta say, great call on the Jaguar XJ and I do love Aston Martins too.

I smoke very few Cuban cigars these days as well. Unfortunately, I got hooked on Davidoffs about three years ago... crazy expensive but I think they're great cigars and worth the money. I also still smoke Añejos, Opus X (when you can find them which these days is harder than it used to be) and Padron 1926s maduros.

As far as the Davidoffs, the Classics are a little too mild for me, the Thousand Series I smoke occasionally, my favorites are the Gran Crus (the #2) and the Specials (Special R & Double R). The Anniversarios are third on my favorite list (the #3). The new Puro d'Oros are good and so are the brand new Nicaraguans.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Do I know you?

Holy crap Mark, welcome back, nice to see ya!! Sorry to hear about Rocky, brother. Stan is getting there too, his sight is going away and his hearing is just about gone already. He's still a good boy, and as much a smartass as always, but I fear his days are numbered. I have absolutely no idea what I'll do when he's gone. I'll have to change my avatar as I'm sure I won't be able to even look at it for quite some time.

Glad you finally gave up the daily grind, you deserve it. Been doing any flying when you're not driving those foreign cars?

Lost both my parents since you've been away, Pops in August of '11 and Mom in January of this year. Sigh, I miss them both very much.

If you need somewhere to dispose of all those heathen cigars you've amassed, I can send you an address!! Funny, you're exploring new NC's, and I've given up on them and gone to the dark side for exploration. All the limited release and boutique over-priced smokes soured me on even trying any new ones.

Like KingBeefy, I'm fairly new here but wish to say hi and tell you it's a pleasure to meet you.

But I have to tell you guys that you're all killing me this morning!

My dad just passed away on the 8th.

Two years ago we had to say goodbye to my wife's 14 year old dog who was one of the coolest dogs I've known.

So reading this has me all misty eyed and a little blue on this fine Friday morning.

Jamie, my sincere condolences on your recent losses.

With regard to letting old 4-legged friends go, I'd love to say something profound but the simple truth is, if your friend is in constant pain and their quality of life is such that they're no longer enjoying life, you need to ask yourself what's best for your beloved pet and put your own feelings aside. We did that with Ashes and I know in my heart it was the right decision......albeit a hard and painful one.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Good to see you back, Mark. Been awfully quiet since you been gone.

I had nearly the exact same situation with my German Shepherd Gretchen. She was quite the dog. Held out until she 17 and looked/acted like a pup for 16 of those years. I honestly thought she would outlive me, vets often thought I was lying when I told them her age. And it was as if one night something happened - all of a sudden she was senile and having a rough time getting around (exactly as you describe). On several days I'd gotten together the nerve to load her in the car for the "final" trip to the vet - and she would miraculously recover from her ailments - including the day when I actually made the final trip. I could not stay - it was way too painful for me to watch...

The pup we replaced Gretchen with was a Rottweiller-Boxer mix. Her name was Orion, but I called her "Doahhh". She was not the brightest dog I ever had. Love able as she could be, just not very bright. About 6 years in she developed Lupus. At first it was not bad - she just had a hot patch here and there. She developed some size able cancer rumors we had to have removed. Little by little it just ate away at her. We saw Orion every day, so we did not much notice the significant degradation. It did, though, finally get to the point that her skin was falling off in clumps. We kept bathing her with medicated shampoos, but it just keep getting worse and worse.

Orion never complained about any pain. We saw her with all of her fur missing and opened sore, but because she never complained we just kept treating her the best we could. There was finally a day where she showed she was having trouble getting around. And it came out of the clear blue. Within 2 weeks we realized her time was up.

My daughter (now an adult, but grew up with Orion)was very closely connected to Orion. This was her dog. She came to me a lot the last 2 weeks to talk about what we should do. I think we both knew it was time, but just did not want to let go. She finally asked me to take her and Orion to the vet. I was hoping I could just sit in the waiting room while doc did his thing. But, no - my daughter needed me to be with her with Orion while she went to sleep.

Mark - I'm with you on where you are at. In retrospect - I hated every second of Orion's final moments and hated to watch her slip away - but I am incredibly grateful I was there for it. It was a very spiritual moment.

To the King and the Captain, thanks for welcoming me in again. I look forward to getting to know you.

CptnBlues63, I am so sorry for your recent loss. And Jamie, that is sad news as well. I remember the last time we spoke on the phone your dad was not doing well. Losing our parents is something that most of us have gone or will go through, and although I lost my folks over 11 years ago, they are still in my thoughts every day. And I am grateful for that. Keep their memories close.

Jamie, nope. No flying. The thrill of flying for the hell of it faded long ago. My main mission was to visit family in Texas and NJ, but since they have all passed on and I'm not in the business anymore I have no reason to fly. Most of our trips are still to Ireland to see Pauline's family. Since she works for the airlines it's much more pleasant getting shit-faced for free in first class while somebody else does the flying.

Kevin!! Still charming as ever! ;-) Thanks for the shout-out and the welcome.

Bill, thanks for the suggestions on the Davidoffs. I always enjoyed the same cigars that you do, so it gives me a starting point. Just wish I had a B&M around here that carried them. I guess its off to the internet. Also, I'm loving the "British motoring experience." The electrical systems actually work. (I had a '59 Bugeye years ago with a bumper sticker that read "Hail Lucas, Prince of Darkness") and they don't seem to leak oil like they used to. Are you still active in the Jaguar clubs? What are you driving these days?

Will, if you get a new pooch post some pictures. I think Rocky will be my last dog. I've had dogs all my life and have been through this too many times. Besides, when Pauline retires we want to be able to pack up and go on short notice. As you know, dogs are like having kids in that respect.

Thanks again for the welcome back.

Mark

Hey George, sorry I missed you the first time around. We were typing at the same time.

Your experience with Orion sounds a lot like what I'm experiencing with Rocky. Like Orion, Rocky has never shown pain, so it's hard to judge whether it's time or not. The hardest thing to resolve is whether I'm keeping him alive for him or for me. He has good moments here and there, but most of the time he sleeps and is slow to get up and down, but if he's comfortable I really don't mind. He's been my buddy for a long time and if he wants to sleep all day, then let him. I just wish I knew for sure whether or not he is in pain.

Just like your Gretchen, I had to put a mixed setter down several years ago and had the same experience as you. She was close to 17 also, and when she started to go she went downhill fast. One day she was fine and the next she was blind, deaf, senile and in pain. On the day I brought her in she was full of life. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that she loved riding in the car. Of course, I had to be with her when they gave her the shot. Never again!! I will go in and say goodbye when it's over, but I wont go into the room when they give him the shot.

Anyway. it's good to be back. Thanks for the welcome. I'll try to keep out of trouble.

Mark

Blog Entries

We had our two older cats die within a month of each other late in 2011, and we were in the room when they gave them the shots. it was rough. But my wife found a brother and sister from the same litter that were born on her birthday so needless to say, they're now part of the family along with a few more.

I still have a couple of British cars hanging around along with two older GM cars, the newest one being 17 years old, LOL! I kinda lost interest in the Jaguar clubs when the motor blew in the car I used to show seven years ago. I still have the car but not the motivation to fix it, hopefully one of these days.

Don't be a stranger Mark!
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Blog Entries

Welcome Back! Sorry to hear about your Rocky Many years ago my best friend had a similar situation with her family pet. All her kids were grown and the dog had ended up with her though all the good times and bad and she told me that her children even though grown really expected her to take care of their pet until his last breath. This dog was blind death and had to be carried out side to go to the bathroom. My friend had MS and she really was having a hard time getting the dog outside. I just told her give me the keys to your house and I am not going to tell you when but I will do what's best. So I waited about 8 days then took their pet to the vet. We never spoke about it. She told her kids the dog died it's his sleep. Anyhow I am glad to see you back. On a positive note any more ghost stories?

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
    We had our two older cats die within a month of each other late in 2011, and we were in the room when they gave them the shots. it was rough. But my wife found a brother and sister from the same litter that were born on her birthday so needless to say, they're now part of the family along with a few more.

I still have a couple of British cars hanging around along with two older GM cars, the newest one being 17 years old, LOL! I kinda lost interest in the Jaguar clubs when the motor blew in the car I used to show seven years ago. I still have the car but not the motivation to fix it, hopefully one of these days.

Don't be a stranger Mark!
    My wife and kids have gotten into cats - three of them to be exact. Each has a unique personalities - and the one who has the "lovable" personality way overdoes it (even my wife is bothered - and she loves animals way more than me). I will probably feel differently when the time comes, but I sure would not miss any of tag right now... Well... Maybe Faye, she's kinda sorta very sweet...

We replaced Orion with Dug. We had sworn we were not going to replace Orion with another dog, but couldn't resist this little guy. Literally he looks like a Dug from the movie Up. A woman was disparate to find a home for him, having found Dug on the side of the road in Tennessee. We caved when we saw him. Cost us quite a bit to get him his shots, get rid of the fleas and worms, but it's really been worth it. He's sweet as can be and LOVES my grandson (they're thicker than thieves).

My desire lately has been to find a "project car" I can work on with my son. I keep looking, but not seriously - yet. Chasing Classic Cars has been highlighting some pretty cool British cars. And I saw a recent "What's My Car Worth" episode featuring a 50's vintage Jag. The sucker sold for some serious money, but the owner spent some serious money to restore it. What caught my attention - he and his son had made it their project car and clearly it was a labor of love.
    Last edited by ggiese; 09-29-2013 at 01:42 AM.

Hi Cinda.

I wouldn't say my experience was exactly "positive." It was actually scary as hell, and it happened during a time in my life when I was convinced I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof! It made me decide not to screw with that stuff anymore, so no, no more experiences.

Every once in a while I watch one of the plethora of ghost chasing shows on TV. They are pretty funny and rather stupid in my opinion and I'm convinced most, if not all of them are fake.

It's good to be back. Thanks for the welcome.

Mark

Hey George,

A project car with your son sounds like a great idea. My son and I used to work on my cars when he was a kid, and he turned into a real gear-head.

How old is your son? He will probably have a very different idea of what kind of car to restore. Most of the younger kids in the hobby are more concerned with tuners these days.

If you're looking for an old British car to work on, I'd suggest something like an old MGB. They are still pretty easy to find and fairly simple to work on. It'd be a good car to introduce the basics to your son.

But heed this warning. Once your son gets the bug, hide your tools or you'll never see them again,

Mark

16. Default

You had an Aston Martin and let it go...Off to the looney bin for you. I have been gone from here for a long while too. Made my return last nite. Good to have you around Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    Hey George,

A project car with your son sounds like a great idea. My son and I used to work on my cars when he was a kid, and he turned into a real gear-head.

How old is your son? He will probably have a very different idea of what kind of car to restore. Most of the younger kids in the hobby are more concerned with tuners these days.

If you're looking for an old British car to work on, I'd suggest something like an old MGB. They are still pretty easy to find and fairly simple to work on. It'd be a good car to introduce the basics to your son.

But heed this warning. Once your son gets the bug, hide your tools or you'll never see them again,

Mark
    Funny you mention the MG - it's on my short list after seeing a recent episode of Wheeler Dealer's. They redid a MG and it appeared to be as easy to work on as a VW Beetle...

My son is 24 - and he's definitely not a "tuner". He really wants to restore a late 60's vintage Lincoln with the suicide doors. I think we're going to cut our teeth on something a bit easier and less expensive...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Funny you mention the MG - it's on my short list after seeing a recent episode of Wheeler Dealer's. They redid a MG and it appeared to be as easy to work on as a VW Beetle...

My son is 24 - and he's definitely not a "tuner". He really wants to restore a late 60's vintage Lincoln with the suicide doors. I think we're going to cut our teeth on something a bit easier and less expensive...
    I learned to drive a stick shift on an MGB back in the '60s. Always had a soft spot for them. If you do start looking, beware of rust as they were one of the first monocoque cars to be produced. Everything else is pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge View Post
    You had an Aston Martin and let it go...Off to the looney bin for you. I have been gone from here for a long while too. Made my return last nite. Good to have you around Mark.
    I needed to update my daily driver so this was the best route for me right now. The Aston was hands-down the best handling, best sounding and most fun to drive car I have ever owned (or driven for that matter,) but it wasn't practical as an every day car. If I had a bigger garage I probably would have found a way to keep it. But I am confident that someday I'll have another one.

Welcome back!

Blog Entries

Hey Mark, nice to see you back :-).

Sorry to hear about Rocky's condition.

A few of my friends sometimes used to ask me when I would be getting a dog again - I didn't - and don't - know what to say to them. Some pets are just more than, well, pets.

Thread Information