Thread: HELP for a cigar smoker rookie?

1. Default HELP for a cigar smoker rookie?

First, thank you for reading this posting. My humidor is about 5 years old...and for the first time, my cigars are all oily. Any advice? Are they bad? Is it time for a new humidor? Did I do something wrong?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you again!

RetiredMP1SG

Blog Entries

What do you mean by oily? Wet, or actual oil? You're going to have to elaborate on your situation more.

How are they smoking? Do the burn correct, and taste good, or the opposite?

Welcome.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

3. Default They're oily, not wet

Thank you for the welcome!
    All of the cigars in the humidor are oily to the touch, leaving an oily residue on the fingertips. I haven't smoked any of them since I didn't know if this was a bad situation or not. The last smoke I had was September 24, and as I continued to check the humidity level, I noticed them starting to turn oily. I rotated them, and noticed that rotating them hadn't helped. I'll smoke one today so I will be able to answer the other questions you had.

Thanks again.
    RetiredMP1SG

Blog Entries

I've never heard of something like you're describing. What kind of cigars are they? Maybe they have painted wrappers that is lifting due to high humidity?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

What do you use for humidity control? PG solution?

I was thinking the same thing as badwhale. Sometimes cigar makers will spray the wrapper with a dye to make them darker or make the shade more consistent. This might be what you are seeing. I've had these cigars appear oily and at times the dye would actually come off on my fingers.

Do some research into the cigars you have. You should be able to find out if this is the case. If this is what you are seeing, don't worry about it. They are ok to smoke.

Good luck.

Blog Entries

I remember the Cusano 18 maduro's being like that - but IIRC it wasn't due to dye though. Will, I think you suggested at the time that it might have been because the filler/binder was some sort of old maduro wrapper (making it the 18 year stock) and the maduro wrapper was just very oily. Since then, I've had some Camacho triple maduro's that were more oily (oilier?) than normal and I've thought that maybe it was the same reason. Love those triple maddies though - they burn bad most times but their taste makes up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

It is natural for the oils inherent in the leaf to come out after long storage.

The OP says the humidor is 5 years old - how long have the cigars been in it?

"Oily" is a quality much cited with premium cigar wrappers isn't it?

Blog Entries

Yes, "oily" is a descriptor often used to describe the appearance of some premium cigar wrappers. At least that's the way I've always used and understood it. I've never experienced any of my cigars being "oily to the touch" or "leaving an oily residue on the fingertips."

When oils "leech" from the wrapper, doesn't it usually crystallize and form the mystical "plume" often discussed on forums? I also understood this to take many, many years, but perhaps 5 is enough.

Blog Entries

When painted on cigars, diluted petroleum jelly is "oily to the touch" and can "leaving an oily residue on the fingertips." Some 'vintage' cigars were infamous for leeching oils (not plume) when stored for a few years. Coincidence?

Note that I am not saying that using a bethune or painting cigars is a bad thing. Sometimes a cheap cigar that smokes great gets a little help - sometimes a lot of help. Sometimes a great cigar gets a little help - Opus X wrappers get stored in sherry or port barrels IIRC.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby07 View Post
    I was thinking the same thing as badwhale. Sometimes cigar makers will spray the wrapper with a dye to make them darker or make the shade more consistent. This might be what you are seeing. I've had these cigars appear oily and at times the dye would actually come off on my fingers.
    Ugghhhhh! Yep, I believe it was a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve maduro that does this. Absolutely horrible, got a deal so bought 10. I found out why it was a deal, threw 6 out.

Quote Originally Posted by BurninMaduro View Post
    Ugghhhhh! Yep, I believe it was a Rocky Patel Olde World Reserve maduro that does this. Absolutely horrible, got a deal so bought 10. I found out why it was a deal, threw 6 out.
    Oh, no... Say it ain't so!!!

There's a member up in Canada (Maxipad, I think his name was...) that was looking to trade Koobans for NC's. You coulda perhaps had better crap than you threw away if you would have just held out for his trades!

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Oh, no... Say it ain't so!!!

There's a member up in Canada (Maxipad, I think his name was...) that was looking to trade Koobans for NC's. You coulda perhaps had better crap than you threw away if you would have just held out for his trades!
    haha setting the man up for failure. good thing maxipad disappeared when he realized we didnt want his terd sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by SailorJoe View Post
    haha setting the man up for failure. good thing maxipad disappeared when he realized we didnt want his terd sticks.
    That's "turd" to you!

haha touche

Thread Information