Thread: An unusual humidor idea!

Default An unusual humidor idea!

This is just an idle thought, so forgive me if it sounds kind of stupid.

I also brew beer, and though I don't have one yet, a mini-keg system eventually comes to all homebrewers. Along with this comes compressed CO2. Carbon Dioxide is a wondrous gas! Plants need it. It dissolves in water and gives carbonated beverages their unique taste. It also preserves things very well. It's heavier than most of the gases in the air, so it settles and pools in the bottom of airtight containers. It displaces the oxygen containing air, preventing oxidation. It also effectively kills any animals and microbes that require oxygen to survive. It's an effective natural preservative.

My idea is, in an igloodor, fill it with CO2 and seal it. The CO2 should displace and settle out the air to the top. This should completely prevent and kill mold or beetles, regardless of temperature or humidity. My thought here is for safe long term storage of cigars, and killing infections without hurting your cigars.

Very interesting idea... the only thing I can think of that would cause a problem is the role (if any) oxygen plays in the aging of tocacco... may not be a concern at all but it is something you may want to look into before trying it out on your stash.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

I would say try it out on some dog rockets. Make sure you monitor the humidity, I'm not sure how C02 affects it. But it wouldnt hurt to give it a shot.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Thread Information