Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
That is reasonable, but that isn't how tax treaties are worded - they use fair market value. If you send an item with a price tag (or I send such an item to the USA with a price tag), and the item is opened for inspection, then excise, duty, and taxes are based on the price tag, not your (or my) valuation.

In reality, the importance of such consumer or hobbyist transactions is very, very low relative to more pressing border-related matters or business transactions (which is why shipping from a commercial address is more likely to lead to inspection). However, the flag must still be flown every once in a while, and people made an example of.
Makes total sense and explains why out of over 10 packages of cigars shipped to me, I've only once had to pay duty. Even with the duty added, I still paid about 1/3 less than buying the same cigars at my local B&M here in Canada. Actually, the ones I paid duty on were from my buddy that runs the cigar store in Coeur d'Alene. He used his personal (home) address for the return and no mention of his shop because I knew about the commercial address thing. Likely from you Craig....lol

I think it makes a difference when it's less than a box too. I suspect if you ordered say, 5 boxes of cigars, you'd find yourself paying duty on them. For 10 or so, I don't think they worry about it too much at the border. I'ts not really worth their time to figure out the duty on 10 cigars.....considering it's only about $1 per cigar if memory serves me from the one time I did pay it.