Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: El Titan & WOAM split October 2013

Blog Entries

Default El Titan de Bronze Redemption split October 2013

Assuming I can get those lanceros, and that's the preference. I'll check on the WOAMs too (WOAMs were subsequently eliminated from the split)

Rules:(Subject to change as needed.)
    1. No asshats.
    2. First come first serviced.(Not the way some of you might want.)
    3. Since you have to pay before you get anything as long as you pass rule 1 you can play even if you're a newbie.
    4. Shipping will be USPS Priority Mail with DC. I can be flexible on this if absolutely necessary.

Advice:(Subject to change as needed.)
    1. Communication is everything.
    2. If you don't think you can swing it this month then pass. Wait to play until you know you can do it within the rules. Your character is defined on how you act and follow through with your commitments. They're is always next time.

Will

Participant ETdB Lancero Total Shipping Grand Total Paid / Change / DC
    Available
    badwhale 5
    $22.49
    $0 $22.49
    craig 10
    $44.98
    $0 $44.98 PAID / NC / Shipped 10-22, LC199886524US / REC'D
    sailor71 10
    $44.98
    $6 $50.98 PAID / .02 / Shipped 10-22, LC199886538US / REC'D
    kevin7 10
    $44.98
    $5.15 $50.13 PAID / NC / 9405 5036 9930 0110 0934 96 / REC'D
    thegreektitan 5 $22.49 $5.15 $27.64 PAID / NC / 9405 5036 9930 0097 2897 52 / REC'D
    mizikie 5 $22.49 $5.15 $27.64 PAID / NC / 9405 5036 9930 0099 0714 23 / REC'D
    fordraptor 5 $22.49 $5.15 $27.64 PAID / NC / 9114 9011 5981 8391 8888 75 / REC'D
    bowhoosier 10
    $44.98
    $5.15 $50.13 PAID / .87 /9405 5036 9930 0097 2897 38 / REC'D
    Last edited by badwhale; 11-04-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Updating information
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Ok, who's in?

Assuming I can get those lanceros, and that's the preference. I'll check on the WOAMs too.

Me
    Craig
    I'd be in for at least 10 if your Northern brethren are allowed.

Russell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor71 View Post
    I'd be in for at least 10 if your Northern brethren are allowed.

Russell
    NP. Canada shipments are at your risk!

Uncle Tupelo

4. Default

I would take 5-10 lanceros
    The older I get ,the better I was

I'm in for a handful or two.

ETA I've never had an El Titan, but they gotta be great.

I would so like to join in on this Will but I just blew my budget on a rather expensive scope for my hunting rifle *sigh*

Sailor, just an FYI. I've done several splits with Will and every one has been smooth as silk with no problems. The cigars have always arrived in excellent shape.

Just a heads-up for you in case you hadn't looked into the whole Canada Custom's issues involved in this. I have extensively. Whenever I do a split with Will, or get any cigars shipped to me from the US, I have the shipper put the correct description and number on the Customs form. This is because if you get caught sneaking cigars (or likely any product) into Canada in an attempt to avoid paying duty, they'll put your name on a watch list. The consequences to that would be of course every thing you ever order from abroad being opened and checked by CC. Worse, if you were to drive to the US, you can pretty much expect to have your vehicle (and trailer if you're pulling one) emptied out for you by the CC guys at the border.

Since my wife is from the US, I travel there a lot. The last thing on earth I need is CC emptying our truck and travel trailer on the roadside because I got caught trying to avoid paying duty on some cigars. She wouldn't divorce me, or kill me quickly. She'd make me suffer for years and years and years! LOL

Out of the 10+ packages of cigars I've had sent, only once have I paid duty.

Just FYI, (as per my many conversations with CC), duty is assessed on the number of items and declared value. So I always get whomever is sending me cigars to mark a value of about $2 per cigar on the custom form. This keeps the duty low.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I'd like to jump in on the lanceros, 5-10 sound good.
    Yay! Cigars!

I'm in

Blog Entries

I'll drop the WOAM from the mix, as I'm not seeing a lot of hits on that.

Feels like 3 boxes of the lances should cover the mix, so I'll get on that maybe, Saturday and fill out all the other R&R etc. for the thread.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

I don't see a difference between reporting a low value - that is still misrepresenting the goods - by the exporter (not you). And if you want to get all correct about it, you are legally bound to send your province's treasury the tax that they would have collected if the product was purchased in your province. (This is the opposite of the situation between US states.) The same is true for federal excise, duties, and taxes. You are still responsible for remitting even if the package cleared the border. (I am sure that you'll get right on that. ) The only exception is products that you have personally imported when you were outside Canada and you declared them as part of your 'duty-free' allowance.

Speaking of declarations, you are the importer. It is the exporter's responsibility to make the proper declaration. You are not liable for the actions of others, unless they were doing so under your direction.

If you are in Canada, you just have to accept in advance that you may have to write things off for various reasons - kind of like lending money to friends/relatives. Over the years, I have only had that happen with a couple of members here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    I don't see a difference between reporting a low value - that is still misrepresenting the goods - by the exporter (not you). And if you want to get all correct about it, you are legally bound to send your province's treasury the tax that they would have collected if the product was purchased in your province. (This is the opposite of the situation between US states.) The same is true for federal excise, duties, and taxes. You are still responsible for remitting even if the package cleared the border. (I am sure that you'll get right on that. ) The only exception is products that you have personally imported when you were outside Canada and you declared them as part of your 'duty-free' allowance.

Speaking of declarations, you are the importer. It is the exporter's responsibility to make the proper declaration. You are not liable for the actions of others, unless they were doing so under your direction.

If you are in Canada, you just have to accept in advance that you may have to write things off for various reasons - kind of like lending money to friends/relatives. Over the years, I have only had that happen with a couple of members here.
    I won't put anything other than cigars on the customs form when shipping that direction. I will, however, place the value at my own personal value...not MSRP. I figure I'm not a retailer, so I can sell/trade/gift the cigars at whatever value I want to.

Blog Entries

That is reasonable, but that isn't how tax treaties are worded - they use fair market value. If you send an item with a price tag (or I send such an item to the USA with a price tag), and the item is opened for inspection, then excise, duty, and taxes are based on the price tag, not your (or my) valuation.

In reality, the importance of such consumer or hobbyist transactions is very, very low relative to more pressing border-related matters or business transactions (which is why shipping from a commercial address is more likely to lead to inspection). However, the flag must still be flown every once in a while, and people made an example of.

If possible I would love to join the split. What exactly are the details?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    If possible I would love to join the split. What exactly are the details?

Just tell me how many you want, and I don't ship until I get the $$. It's that simple!!!

Uncle Tupelo

Whats the price of a fiver?

Blog Entries

about 30 bucks.

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    about 30 bucks.
    Put me in for 2 fivers please. Please PM me your addy. Is a money order ok? Thanks

Blog Entries

MO is ok. Let me update the OP tomorrow.

I ordered 3 boxes tonight, so we should have it all covered.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    That is reasonable, but that isn't how tax treaties are worded - they use fair market value. If you send an item with a price tag (or I send such an item to the USA with a price tag), and the item is opened for inspection, then excise, duty, and taxes are based on the price tag, not your (or my) valuation.

In reality, the importance of such consumer or hobbyist transactions is very, very low relative to more pressing border-related matters or business transactions (which is why shipping from a commercial address is more likely to lead to inspection). However, the flag must still be flown every once in a while, and people made an example of.
    Makes total sense and explains why out of over 10 packages of cigars shipped to me, I've only once had to pay duty. Even with the duty added, I still paid about 1/3 less than buying the same cigars at my local B&M here in Canada. Actually, the ones I paid duty on were from my buddy that runs the cigar store in Coeur d'Alene. He used his personal (home) address for the return and no mention of his shop because I knew about the commercial address thing. Likely from you Craig....lol

I think it makes a difference when it's less than a box too. I suspect if you ordered say, 5 boxes of cigars, you'd find yourself paying duty on them. For 10 or so, I don't think they worry about it too much at the border. I'ts not really worth their time to figure out the duty on 10 cigars.....considering it's only about $1 per cigar if memory serves me from the one time I did pay it.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Alright, the info is up. If it all looks ok, you can send the $$. Send me a PM if you need my address.

I don't know why some of the amounts have boxes in the boxes. Formatting issue that I'm just going to let go.

Thanks,
    Will

Uncle Tupelo

Thread Information