Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
I was incredibly excited when Bobby left Boston and came to Chicago... I was completely devestated when the injuries he'd suffered over the years at Boston took their toll when he came to Chicago and he did not play with the 'fire' I'd seen in his Boston years. Still - I can't argue - he is one of the greatest!

I still remember the 60's era and a lot of the great players from that time. Guys like Phil Esposito, Bobby Hull, Henri Richard, Frank Mahovlich, "Red" Kelly, Stan Makita and Gordie Howe. Not sure I'd say they were "greater" than Wayne or Bobby, but DAMN! - I really loved watching hockey back then.
I think that's my favorite era too........and on into the early 70's. Back then I was a Hab's fan like most boys where I lived and in fact, Gordie Howe is from my home town.....sort of. He's actually from Floral, Saskatchewan which was about 15 miles out of Saskatoon (my home town) As a kid there was just a grain elevator there with "Floral" on it but I understand even that was demolished around 2003.

One of my favorite memories is watching Yvan Cournoyer streaking down the boards, switching hands on the fly, and scoring with a blazing wrist shot!

And who could forget Gary Cheevers with all the stiches on his mask!

Damn! That was hockey!