Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
I have never understood the generic hatred for certain tech companies. As George mentioned he disliked Apple for years, won an iPad and realized Apple wasn't all that bad.

I'm not speaking for George here, I don't know what his reasoning was, but I have a friend that hates Apple juat to be contrary. The truth is Apple isn't as popular as it is just because a bunch of black rimmed, no lense glasses wearing hipsters decided they were going to jump on that bandwagon and make it popular. It's also not just because it was marketed so well or that Steve Jobs was an evil genius that has convinced the world to eat from this new forbidden fruit. It's mostly because it's as user friendly as anything else on the market, and it just works, very well. Also, the fact that so much of their software is so controlled seems to be a major reason why it does work so very well.

Bottom line is we still operate in a free market. In most places you can still get just phone service alone relatively cheap. If you want greater access to the greater world via the internet you will need to pay the additional $ for the additional services, but you don't have to. If you want the additional entertainment value offered by XBOX you will need to pay the additional $ for it, but you don't have to. You could buy that TurboGraphix 16 from Mangy and just and be done with all the "expensive, money grabbing" additional services the new consoles offer. But I bet you'll still pay a lot more for a new console and then you will then pay more $ for any additional services you WANT.

If they are charging for it and people in a free market are paying for it then there absolutely has to be some value there. It's as simple as that regardless of which tech team you have decided you love or which one you have decided you hate.

If you don't like it don't choose to participate. It's still your choice.
I started to write this long dissertation about why I disliked Apple so much. Suffice it to say - my aversion to Apple is rooted in what would be considered ancient history... I don't want to admit I'm an old fart, but let's just say I have damned good reasons that would not be understood unless you were back riding dinosaurs with me.

But (as I type this on my iPad Air) some things do change...