Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a Coolidor Finally

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Pottery Barn has a very nice vintage wood oval tray. I'm not sure if it's Spanish cedar (it says "mango-wood", whatever that is). I think it would look great in your coolidor - and you can also use it while entertaining guests. It's a win-win!
    Oh, thank YOU too very much for your most excellent help! With all the help I'm getting from the newbies, I should have a fiesta of cigar flavors in my....oh, you were joking with me, weren't you gg?? I am SO slow to pick up on things......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post

illilli

I've been looking at this guys stuff to get some ideas for my wineador design that I plan on building myself. Looks like some nice work from what I can tell online. The slats are diagonal, but I'm pretty sure he'd make them to your desired style and specs.

http://wineadors.com/coolidors.html
    Thanks for the link, but I saw it already. He seems pretty busy, it's not guaranteed that he would make them with vertical slots and I hate sending money and waiting forever. I'd rather just wait until the 100% Cedar ones get back in stock from China. It's not that big of a deal, but I just hate it when things don't go the way I want them to. (WHINE, WHINE, WHINE....I am SO scared of kevin7 now!)

Blog Entries

This might be a dumb question, but do you have any equipment or ability to make them yourself? I mean, you're making a Koolidor, so it doesn't have to be Astor's pet pony, right?

ETA: Nevermind, I missed your last post on the first page while you were busy triple posting... Who does that?
    Last edited by badwhale; 01-30-2014 at 09:00 PM.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Quote Originally Posted by illilli View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I saw it already. He seems pretty busy, it's not guaranteed that he would make them with vertical slots and I hate sending money and waiting forever. I'd rather just wait until the 100% Cedar ones get back in stock from China. It's not that big of a deal, but I just hate it when things don't go the way I want them to. (WHINE, WHINE, WHINE....I am SO scared of kevin7 now!)
    Wait, wait, wait... You're saying you're waiting for the Chinese to knock off Spanish cedar trays???

...oh this oughta be good...

Does Spain actually produce Spanish cedar? Inquiring minds wanna know...

I may have to do that, but I'm not exactly handy. I AM building my own Spanish Cedar shelves, but they will be very basic. A tray looks a lot harder. I built a gun rack in shop, but that was quite a while ago and I had the SHOP to use, not to mention a plan.

You got any plans for cedar tray? (By the way, I don't care about the separator...THAT I could build!)
    I didn't use any plans and the trays show it but I have a wood shop so it was pretty easy once I sourced the cedar. If you use 1/4" stock you can glue the sides with just butt joints and the slots with a keyhole saw and a drill. There must be something on the web but a quick Google search came up with mostly desk top humi plans...

Blog Entries

I was pleasantly surprised this evening by the delivery of my 8 Spanish Cedar trays! They were in perfect condition and all the dividers fit perfectly. This really works out so well, because now I have everything I need to set up my Coolerdor. I have to put the shelves together, which may take me several weeks to get around to because I don't have that much free time and I don't really have anywhere to do it except in a small space in my garage. If the weather stays warm, that would be a bonus and would probably motivate me. I guess I'm kind of treating this thread as a blog, but it doesn't really matter does it?

I may go Quad-Post on here pretty soon, though....so watch out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Wait, wait, wait... You're saying you're waiting for the Chinese to knock off Spanish cedar trays???

...oh this oughta be good...

Does Spain actually produce Spanish cedar? Inquiring minds wanna know...
    Despite its name, Spanish Cedar is not only a hardwood (and therefore not a Cedar at all), but it is also not Spanish. Spanish Cedar actually comes from the Meliaceae family, along with Mahogany; Spanish Cedar is similar to Genuine Mahogany in its beautiful coloration, attractive grain pattern, and great workability. The wood’s grain is usually quite straight and works well with both hand and power tools.

Spanish Cedar is also known as Cigar-box Cedar, as this was one of its traditional uses. The wood’s natural aroma repels insects, and the high resin count makes it very weather and rot resistant. Due to its low density, the lumber is quite lightweight, which makes this wood highly sought after as a high quality exterior grade species.

http://www.mcilvain.com/hardwoods/spanish-cedar/

As for where these trays are made.....definitely China. China makes everything. We bought some high-end furniture from Ethan Allen and it was all made in China. The materials were sent there and then the end product was shipped back. THAT is still cheaper than doing it here in America apparently. It's one of the sad stories.... another one is when puppies get hurt because Clydesdales step on them. I don't know if that's actually happened, but it would be sad too. Go Broncos!

Blog Entries

Despite its name, Spanish Cedar is not only a hardwood (and therefore not a Cedar at all), but it is also not Spanish. Spanish Cedar actually comes from the Meliaceae family, along with Mahogany; Spanish Cedar is similar to Genuine Mahogany in its beautiful coloration, attractive grain pattern, and great workability. The wood’s grain is usually quite straight and works well with both hand and power tools.

Spanish Cedar is also known as Cigar-box Cedar, as this was one of its traditional uses. The wood’s natural aroma repels insects, and the high resin count makes it very weather and rot resistant. Due to its low density, the lumber is quite lightweight, which makes this wood highly sought after as a high quality exterior grade species.

http://www.mcilvain.com/hardwoods/spanish-cedar/

As for where these trays are made.....definitely China. China makes everything. We bought some high-end furniture from Ethan Allen and it was all made in China. The materials were sent there and then the end product was shipped back. THAT is still cheaper than doing it here in America apparently. It's one of the sad stories.... another one is when puppies get hurt because Clydesdales step on them. I don't know if that's actually happened, but it would be sad too. Go Broncos!
    This isn't true. I just got a cyclone dust collector that even most of the hardware, was made in USA.

Also, babies are made...in VaChina.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Also, babies are made...in VaChina.
    Wow

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    Wow
    Was that it? Was that the line, and I burst across it like a sprinter?

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

You crossed no lines with this dude. That wasn't typed with an offended tone, but with a tone of awestruck wonderment. That is just a fantastic line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kingbeefy View Post
    You crossed no lines with this dude. That wasn't typed with an offended tone, but with a tone of awestruck wonderment. That is just a fantastic line.

And with that, I'll stop threadjacking this thread.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Name:  humidor2.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  3.2 KB

Here is the completed project. I'm seasoning the insides for a while and I'll post in appropriate thread with cigars.

I apologize for the quality of these stupid images. My phone and I are not ONE. How am I supposed to know it orients the picture according to the damn phone orientation?? Thank you automation for thinking for me....if computers become self-aware, we are in trouble because they will do things like slam our breaks on because we bought a "large" soda to make us spill it, because they have to protect our health. That happens and I'm going all "I Robot" on something!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	3638   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	315 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	3637  
    Last edited by illilli; 02-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Looking good! Go Koolidor!!!

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

That actually is a real good looking Kool (and the Gang) idor.

I didn't even think to stand it up and make shelves and what not. I just threw boxes and ziploc bags of cigars in it with no real plan.

I like yours better.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback. I ordered two more Cedar planks to make two more shelves. I'll post the measurements of the cuts to make it fit snugly. I was going to put a couple of connectors to the planks, but honestly they turned out fitting so securely that I decided against it.

The humidity is slowly going up...it's at 46% today and going up about 2% a day. I'm OK with that because I prefer this technique over wetting/damping the cedar. Of course, when I add the other planks, the humidity will go down some. I'm actually curious about how much it will drop.

Thread Information