Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a Coolidor Finally

Blog Entries

Default Building a Coolidor Finally

I have been shopping around for a larger humidor, but I just couldn't see buying any of those Chinese-made things. While I am not opposed to them on the basis of they are TOTAL crap, they just didn't quite meet my expectations in size, color or operation. (For example, I have a HARD time believing that huge sheet of glass in a door with a 3 inch frame is going to seal.) My wife didn't like any of the sizes or colors, but she agreed to let me get one.

Well, I finally decided to go the Coolidor way. Today, I bought a 150 QT Coleman Cooler that has the slots in it. I ordered some Spanish cedar 3/8" planks to make the shelves. I bought a hygrometer from Walmart (snicker). I ordered 1.5 pounds of Heartfelt 65% humidity beads. I also checked on some 2" high density foam to set the cooler on. JoAnne Fabric sells it. (If anyone has a better idea, let me know.) Finally, I ordered 8 12.5 x 7.5 x 2.5 inch trays with dividers. I don't want to keep opening boxes to move cigars around. I just want them in the open so I can look at them.

I'll post pictures when I get the ingredients all at my house and when I get it together and loaded. I'm pretty excited about it, even though it's a simple thing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illilli View Post
    I have been shopping around for a larger humidor, but I just couldn't see buying any of those Chinese-made things. While I am not opposed to them on the basis of they are TOTAL crap, they just didn't quite meet my expectations in size, color or operation. (For example, I have a HARD time believing that huge sheet of glass in a door with a 3 inch frame is going to seal.) My wife didn't like any of the sizes or colors, but she agreed to let me get one.

Well, I finally decided to go the Coolidor way. Today, I bought a 150 QT Coleman Cooler that has the slots in it. I ordered some Spanish cedar 3/8" planks to make the shelves. I bought a hygrometer from Walmart (snicker). I ordered 1.5 pounds of Heartfelt 65% humidity beads. I also checked on some 2" high density foam to set the cooler on. JoAnne Fabric sells it. (If anyone has a better idea, let me know.) Finally, I ordered 8 12.5 x 7.5 x 2.5 inch trays with dividers. I don't want to keep opening boxes to move cigars around. I just want them in the open so I can look at them.

I'll post pictures when I get the ingredients all at my house and when I get it together and loaded. I'm pretty excited about it, even though it's a simple thing.
    Your Anejos survived in this...

Nice job on the coolerdor! wait. coolidor? Koolidore?
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Your Anejos survived in this...
    That doesn't look like it was made in China... I like it!

Agreed!

Ok Will 'fess up.........where'd you get that nice humidor??
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

I say you do the "Pirate Chest" conversion of that coolidor...

http://www.incrediblethings.com/art-...-chest-cooler/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post

Ok, maybe I'm easily amused, but that is pretty cool. Scrap lumber is one thing I have no shortage of as well.

I had the same setup until I built the cabinet and loved it!

Quote Originally Posted by ashauler View Post
    Ok, maybe I'm easily amused, but that is pretty cool. Scrap lumber is one thing I have no shortage of as well.
    I'm heavily tempted...

Blog Entries

ARRRRRRRR....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Agreed!

Ok Will 'fess up.........where'd you get that nice humidor??
    Oh you guys. It's outlined in the "let's see your humidor thread"

Cliffnotes: I had a local carpenter, and friend, make it for me. Wild cherry & lots of spanish cedar. I am pleased. Thanks.

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

That, is genius!

Uncle Tupelo

Oh you guys. It's outlined in the "let's see your humidor thread"

Cliffnotes: I had a local carpenter, and friend, make it for me. Wild cherry & lots of spanish cedar. I am pleased. Thanks.
    I had a feeling that was custom made. Very nice!

My wife keeps giving me grief about making a coolerador. She says, "Don't Alberta engineer it, we can afford to buy a real one" Mostly I just want something to store boxes. I'm getting close to having my 500 count filled with loose cigars and am hoping to go over the "it's full I need more storage" line soon. I thought a coolerador made good sense until I saw you pic Will.

It turns out there's a guy here in town who's an excellent carpenter. We renovated our basement bathroom this past summer and my wife loves the "country" look and we had this fellow custom make us a vanity, mirror frame and shelf out of barn wood. Now I'm thinking a barn wood humidor! Better start saving my pennies now.....
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

I had ordered 8 Spanish cedar trays from Amazon and the seller didn't come through for me. So, I went out looking for all-cedar trays. Apparently, there is only one company making them (The 100% cedar kind) in the style that I like; and they are out of them everywhere.

I did the second best thing and tore the lid off a cigar box. I only have one box with a nice cedar lining.

Anyway, if someone knows where I can get some that have the vertical slots -- not the diagonal slots, I don't like that kind, please send me the link.

Blog Entries

Nice job on the coolerdor! wait. coolidor? Koolidore?
    Yeah, it just dawned on me that it SHOULD be coolerdor versus coolidor. I'm not very quick on the up-take you know....

I ended up making my own trays but you could do the same for separators. Woodcraft & Rockler both sell spanish cedar in 1/8" & 1/4" thickness.

I had ordered 8 Spanish cedar trays from Amazon and the seller didn't come through for me. So, I went out looking for all-cedar trays. Apparently, there is only one company making them (The 100% cedar kind) in the style that I like; and they are out of them everywhere.

I did the second best thing and tore the lid off a cigar box. I only have one box with a nice cedar lining.

Anyway, if someone knows where I can get some that have the vertical slots -- not the diagonal slots, I don't like that kind, please send me the link.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-.../dp/B00B9234HE

Please let me know if I am off base.
    "Keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious.....And curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tc3driver View Post
    Please let me know if I am off base.
    "Solid Spanish Cedar w/Cedar veneered MDF base" or in other words, NOT 100% Cedar!

I am extremely well-versed in doing internet research, so very obviously, I have seen everything they have at Amazon, since I said I ordered from Amazon. However, thanks for thinking I'm not capable of navigating Amazon's site thoroughly -- I AM old and probably don't know anything about technology at all based on that.

I know, I know, it's like Christmas...it's the thought that counts, so thank you very much for trying to help.

Pottery Barn has a very nice vintage wood oval tray. I'm not sure if it's Spanish cedar (it says "mango-wood", whatever that is). I think it would look great in your coolidor - and you can also use it while entertaining guests. It's a win-win!

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...acet-_-Tray-_-

Pottery Barn has a very nice vintage wood oval tray. I'm not sure if it's Spanish cedar (it says "mango-wood", whatever that is). I think it would look great in your coolidor - and you can also use it while entertaining guests. It's a win-win!

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...acet-_-Tray-_-

illilli

I've been looking at this guys stuff to get some ideas for my wineador design that I plan on building myself. Looks like some nice work from what I can tell online. The slats are diagonal, but I'm pretty sure he'd make them to your desired style and specs.

http://wineadors.com/coolidors.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cigarbear View Post
    I ended up making my own trays but you could do the same for separators. Woodcraft & Rockler both sell spanish cedar in 1/8" & 1/4" thickness.
    I may have to do that, but I'm not exactly handy. I AM building my own Spanish Cedar shelves, but they will be very basic. A tray looks a lot harder. I built a gun rack in shop, but that was quite a while ago and I had the SHOP to use, not to mention a plan.

You got any plans for cedar tray? (By the way, I don't care about the separator...THAT I could build!)

Thread Information