Thread: Hello from a new member in Long Island, New York

Default Hello from a new member in Long Island, New York

Hello, All
    I'm a life long pipe smoker (English and Balkan blends) who has recently become obsessed with cigars. As I grow older, the pipe just hasn't been giving me the big taste that it did when I was younger. So, I've set aside the Dunhill 965 and immersed myself in those big, beautiful sticks that I've always admired. Weather is so rotten here this Winter that I've plenty of time to explore (and spend way too much money) cigars. Hope to make new friends and learn from all of you.
    Best regards
    Joe

Hello.

Blog Entries

Hello
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Blog Entries

Well, hi.

Blog Entries

Greetings and Welcome!

http://www.cmt.com/videos/eric-churc...le-smoke.jhtml?

"Do this...go to Google and type in "Dumbass that can't take a hint"...notice the picture of a big feller in his Moms kitchen with a can of Wannabe RockStar on his man boob...Hey, that's you!" TheGreekTitan

May God grant us the wisdom to discover right, the will to

choose it, and the strength

to make it endure

Hello and welcome from IN. Lots of great info here. The search tool is wonderful to use.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2
    May your ashes be long and your smoke be plentiful...

Blog Entries

Welcome!

Welcome Joe!

Blog Entries

Hi Joe and welcome.

Wow, you're way out in Suffolk County. Do you ever get into Manhattan at all? I used to frequent the Cigar Inn on 2nd Avenue quite a bit in 2012. I'm a big Davidoff and Fuente fan and they carry both. There used to be a great cigar lounge on the Nassau/Suffolk county border (right off exit 48) about ten years ago. It was in a pretty cool looking older art deco style building that I think has a Nassau OTB parlor in it. I think at the time, the restaurant/cigar lounge was called "Churchills" or something like, they had some cigars for sale, a very nice lounge and a bar/restaurant was part of the whole deal. I think they got rid of the cigar lounge a while back.

Any good cigar shops out your way?
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 02-24-2014 at 01:55 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

We have a couple of brick and mortars in the Port Jefferson area. Jimmy's is big into Davidoff and just added a clubby smoking lounge and humidors. Trouble is, New York taxes are doing everything possible to make it impossible to support a local tobacco merchant. I can't afford to buy something that's twice what I can get it from an internet provider. If I could, I'd stick with the locals, but the wife insists on eating three meals a day, and I must budget accordingly!
    Back in the 70's-80's I lived and worked in Manhattan not too far from where Madison Square Garden is located. Had some great years there. Shoreham is close to 100 miles from there, so we're lucky to go once a year to see the tree or watch a Broadway show. Oh well, at least the deer out here don't complain about my cigar and pipe smoke.
    Joe

Hi from Alberta, Canada!
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

Blog Entries

Joe, you said the place in Port Jeff is called Jimmy's? That sounds kind of familiar. I knew a bunch of guys on a cigar board that has since long vanished who were from that area and used to get together at a big shop/lounge in Port Jefferson but I can't remember the name of the place.

Yeah, I figured you were about an hour and a half from Manhattan. I really do love the city, not sure I'd want to actually live there but I really enjoy going there for shows, visits, ball games, smoking cigars, etc.

You're also right about the taxes, yes they are higher but at least the NY tobacco/cigar taxes aren't as bad as other places like Washington State. I find I pay about 10% more than in Connecticut which does add up but if I only smoke in NYC cigar shops every once in a while, I just eat the extra couple of bucks and enjoy the atmosphere and talking to New Yorkers which is priceless! I've met some pretty cool people just striking up conversations at places like the Cigar Inn and the Velvet Lounge on the lower east side (right down the street from McSorley's).
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 02-24-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Sorry, I had a senility moment. The name is actually Jim's, but it is most probably the same place. There are two. The other , smaller one is in Patchogue near Islip Airport.
    I'm actually much closer to Conn. than to the City. A ferry ride from Orient point gets me there pretty quick.
    Yes, Manhattan is very special. I have lived in Florida, Arizona Long Island and Upstate New York, enjoyed living in all those places, but my heart belongs to Manhattan.
    Joe

Blog Entries

Welcome from Ottawa, Canada, where the surest sign that spring is coming will happen March 3, 2014
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    Welcome from Ottawa, Canada, where the surest sign that spring is coming will happen March 3, 2014
    Ok, I'll bite...........

What happens in Ontario on March 3'd ???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Ok, I'll bite...........

What happens in Ontario on March 3'd ???
    The same thing that will happen everywhere in Canada on March 3, 2014 .

(last day for RRSP contributions for the 2013 tax year - for Americans who are bored, RRSP = 401(K), except that we don't go through our employers and payroll deduction, we go through a financial institution, and we can buy in lump sums, or whatever, at anytime during the year - and the first 60 or so days of the next year. The date is March 3, 2014 for last year's taxes, so people will be lining up at banks, etc., this week, this weekend, and on Monday to get their contributions in. I went in and made mine today, actually.)
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Welcome from Florida
    Sunny and 70 over here.

Lived down there in Hollywood for nine warm years during the construction boom. Deep sigh..................... I kinda miss all that humidity. A cigar store on practically every corner, although back then I primarily smoked a pipe, so I don't know much about them.

Quote Originally Posted by craig View Post
    The same thing that will happen everywhere in Canada on March 3, 2014 .

(last day for RRSP contributions for the 2013 tax year - for Americans who are bored, RRSP = 401(K), except that we don't go through our employers and payroll deduction, we go through a financial institution, and we can buy in lump sums, or whatever, at anytime during the year - and the first 60 or so days of the next year. The date is March 3, 2014 for last year's taxes, so people will be lining up at banks, etc., this week, this weekend, and on Monday to get their contributions in. I went in and made mine today, actually.)
    Ahhh...........gotchya!

I have a pension fund through work so I don't bother with RRSP's. My wife's work deposits into RRSP's rather than a pension so she would have known that............lol

But you've reminded me that my T4 should arrive this week and we'll have to get our taxes done ASAP. That's always a hassle since my wife works from a home office and is a US Citizen. So she has to file first in Canada, then in the US.

On the plus side, Canada takes more of our income than the US does so we never end up owing the IRS a penny. On the negative side, getting them all done isn't cheap. But we found a place in Edmonton that will do both the Canada and US so it's not as bad as it could be....

Thread Information