Thread: wanting to start pipe smoking

Default wanting to start pipe smoking

Now i've seen a few people on here smoke pipes and figured i may give it a try, because i would think pipe smoking could be a quick thing when i don't have the time for a cigar. Does pipe tobacco taste like cigar tobacco? And what accesories would i need in order to get started.

Default Its ok

I inherited my grandpa's pipes.
    I have smoked them all.
    Cigars are better.

I tried different blends and so forth but not as good as a cigar.

I just realized this fact when i discovered cigars afew months ago.
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

There are some great pipe tobacco's out there. The key is you have to keep the pipe clean. However they are quite different from cigars.

You will need

A pipe (of course)
    Pipe Cleaners
    A bic type lighter *they work better for pipes than the super hot butanes used for cigars
    And a pipe tool. Has a poker, scraper and a tamper (to tamp the loose tobacco down) - on this don't get suckered by some over priced piece get the El cheapo ones for less than a buck.

If you want any suggestions on tobacco, just state what your looking for and I would be happy to help. I view my pipe like dessert. I like dark cavandish tobaccos that are sweet and heavy.

do you use screens? or are those just for other "pipes"

Blog Entries

nhcigarfan is right on except I'd recommend a Zippo "pipe" lighter. It's deisgned differently from regular Zippos so that when you hold it horizontally over the bowl, and when you draw on the pipe, the flame comes down through that hole in the middle to light your pipe:

Oh and NO, you don't need any "screens"
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

i see, i'll have to do a lil more research to see if i actually want to try this hobby. I found a sort of a starter pack for i think it was $45, came with the pipe, pipe stand, tobacco pouch (don't know if i'd really need that) and the pipe tool

there are some really nice wooden pipes (just the stem, the bowl is ceramic i think) at my local renfaire that i want. they are 75 bucks though. i don't like the style of the traditional pipes. i might buy one at the end of the summer if i can save enough money.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

reaganyouth84 Guest

You can get a decent "starter" pipe for around 30 bucks or so. I still use the one I started out on. Tobacco for your pipe is fairly inexpensive, I can get enough to last me around a month for 5-10 bucks. Cigar tobacco and pipe tobacco are fairly different I think. The pipe tobacco has different flavors(vanilla, choclate, etc) It does take some time to learn how to pack the bowl right so that the tobacco burns cool and entirely. If you don't burn all the tobacco out you will build up tar resin. What I do is if I don't smoke the whole bowl, I tap ou the ashes, and leave the remaining tobacco in the bowl until I smoke it again. If I decide to take it all out, what I do is burn the resin out with a butan lighter, works pretty well. I will give you an idea of the cost of getting this started...

Pipe: anywhere from $30-$150(there are more expensive ones)
    Tobacco: $1.89 oz. (at my local shop)
    Pipe Tool: No more than $2.00
    Pipe Cleaners: You can buy at WalMart for less than a $1.00
    Bic Style lighter or Matches: dirt cheap

Really, that's all you need. Also, I've found some REALLY good deals on ebay for pipes. Some are used, but you can sterilize the mouthpiece or buy new ones. You should P/M me, and I will answer any questions, and give you as much information as I can.

Ya, I really want to get a pipe, especially a church ward meerschaum. They're pretty rare though, very few meerschaums are made in church warden style. Waiting on my smoke shop to find one and I told them I would buy it immediately, for about $80-$100 bucks.

Plus, I want to get traditional Japanese pipe, they're called kisure, made of metal.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    There are some great pipe tobacco's out there. The key is you have to keep the pipe clean. However they are quite different from cigars.

You will need

A pipe (of course)
    Pipe Cleaners
    A bic type lighter *they work better for pipes than the super hot butanes used for cigars
    And a pipe tool. Has a poker, scraper and a tamper (to tamp the loose tobacco down) - on this don't get suckered by some over priced piece get the El cheapo ones for less than a buck.

If you want any suggestions on tobacco, just state what your looking for and I would be happy to help. I view my pipe like dessert. I like dark cavandish tobaccos that are sweet and heavy.
    Dark cavandish tobaccos are awesome!

know of any quality sites?

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    know of any quality sites?
    Hmmm, I am not that framiliar with any online sites for tobacco smoking. I'm sure there are some, just do a google search or something. I'll do one as well and we will see what we come up with.
    -Mike

reaganyouth84 Guest

http://www.paylesspipes.com/ <pipe products
    http://www.justforhim.com/pipes/articles/art4.html <tips
    http://www.arrowhead-tobacco.com/pip...smokeapipe.htm <tips
    http://www.arrowhead-tobacco.com/pipes/savinelli.htm <some good deals there
    http://vegassmokes.com/pipe-smoking-tips.htm <tips

Those are some good ones to get going on. The reason I gave you so man sites about packing pipes is because it is MAJORLY important. Anyways, give those a look and give me a shout with any questions or advice.
    -Mike

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    That does look good. Just be sure the pipe is made of wood. I got dooped on ebay one time, the guy told me it was a wooden pipe, then I got it and it was plastic with a metal bowl. It sucked, wood is the way to go.
    -Mike

reaganyouth84 Guest

This is my primary pipe. It's a bit blury, but you get the idea.
    -Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	53   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pipe2.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	54  
    Last edited by reaganyouth84; 07-31-2005 at 01:14 AM.

17. Default

I would start out on a Dr Grabow. They are cheap and are PRE SMOKED meaning there is a cake already built up in the bowl and there is no breaking in period. They stick the bowls up to a machine and suck burning tobacco smoke through them until a cake is built up. I still smoke my grabows every once in a while. Premium more expensive pipes are great but you have to break them in. And I would get a pipe you can put pipe filters in while you smoke until you get used to it because it is completely different from cigar smoking. you have a really loose draw, And from time to time alot of relights but with the right tobacco smoking a pipe can be a great experience.

My great grandpa used to smoke pipes...I may check this out.

Thread Information