Thread: wanting to start pipe smoking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default wanting to start pipe smoking

Now i've seen a few people on here smoke pipes and figured i may give it a try, because i would think pipe smoking could be a quick thing when i don't have the time for a cigar. Does pipe tobacco taste like cigar tobacco? And what accesories would i need in order to get started.

Default Its ok

I inherited my grandpa's pipes.
    I have smoked them all.
    Cigars are better.

I tried different blends and so forth but not as good as a cigar.

I just realized this fact when i discovered cigars afew months ago.
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

There are some great pipe tobacco's out there. The key is you have to keep the pipe clean. However they are quite different from cigars.

You will need

A pipe (of course)
    Pipe Cleaners
    A bic type lighter *they work better for pipes than the super hot butanes used for cigars
    And a pipe tool. Has a poker, scraper and a tamper (to tamp the loose tobacco down) - on this don't get suckered by some over priced piece get the El cheapo ones for less than a buck.

If you want any suggestions on tobacco, just state what your looking for and I would be happy to help. I view my pipe like dessert. I like dark cavandish tobaccos that are sweet and heavy.

do you use screens? or are those just for other "pipes"

Blog Entries

nhcigarfan is right on except I'd recommend a Zippo "pipe" lighter. It's deisgned differently from regular Zippos so that when you hold it horizontally over the bowl, and when you draw on the pipe, the flame comes down through that hole in the middle to light your pipe:

Oh and NO, you don't need any "screens"
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

i see, i'll have to do a lil more research to see if i actually want to try this hobby. I found a sort of a starter pack for i think it was $45, came with the pipe, pipe stand, tobacco pouch (don't know if i'd really need that) and the pipe tool

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nhcigarfan
    There are some great pipe tobacco's out there. The key is you have to keep the pipe clean. However they are quite different from cigars.

You will need

A pipe (of course)
    Pipe Cleaners
    A bic type lighter *they work better for pipes than the super hot butanes used for cigars
    And a pipe tool. Has a poker, scraper and a tamper (to tamp the loose tobacco down) - on this don't get suckered by some over priced piece get the El cheapo ones for less than a buck.

If you want any suggestions on tobacco, just state what your looking for and I would be happy to help. I view my pipe like dessert. I like dark cavandish tobaccos that are sweet and heavy.
    Dark cavandish tobaccos are awesome!

know of any quality sites?

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by QuietC
    know of any quality sites?
    Hmmm, I am not that framiliar with any online sites for tobacco smoking. I'm sure there are some, just do a google search or something. I'll do one as well and we will see what we come up with.
    -Mike

My great grandpa used to smoke pipes...I may check this out.

Thread Information