Thread: How far have non Cuban cigars progressed in 50 years?

Default How far have non Cuban cigars progressed in 50 years?

Uh oh, someone gave me a book to read. Published in 1997, it's called The complete Idiot's guide to cigars 2nd edition. (I guess this sums up how my friends and family feel about my intelligence) This takes place during the cigar boom when every A list actor and actress was on a magazine cover with a cigar, and apparently, as cigars were "hot", there was a shortage of good smokes out there. The Author also felt that for the sake of revenue, the Cuban Government pushed out many smokes that were not properly aged, and although the top brands were still wonderful, many were disappointing, to say the least.
    Makers of many of Cuba's premier cigar makers, after fleeing to South America with pocketful's of seeds have spent decades improving their product. So, now, in 2014, how do the new Punch, Cohiba, et all stack up against today's Cubans? Living here in the States, I rarely, if ever come across a real Cuban, but I'm sure many of you who live or visit other places have access to them, and some may still fondly remember the pre embargo smokes. Has the quality evened out, or are Cubans still the pinnacle of cigars?

Blog Entries

I cannot personally think of any good Atladis comparison between the stolen brand names, like Partagas, Ramon Allones, Cohiba or ErDM. The NC versions aren't all "bad" but they're not as good as the legit CC counterparts.

I'm also not saying that CC are the pinnacle of cigars. There's A LOT of great NC cigars on the market. This is my personal experience, and obviously there's guys on here that have been smoking decades longer than myself that I'm sure will have some great input.

Will
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

It would be almost impossible to compare pre embargo smokes to anything unless you were absaloute certan that the sticks were cared for properly the entire time. That's not to say that there aren't some out there. I would be willing to bet that the Fuente family has a stock of pre embargo for personal smoke. If you haven't read that story your missing out on "in my opinion" an important part of cigar history.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3aQ8mEISrU

Blog Entries

Depending on how one defines quality, then yes, it has evened out. One could certainly argue that in terms of manufacturing quality, non-Cubans are better at every price point.

For tobacco quality, in the past few years, natural disasters and the 'special period' have played havoc with tobacco crops in Cuba (and their coffee crops as well). Tobacco itself is being used where it shouldn't be. Running (big) leaf veins are showing up in filler, even in excessive-premiums like Behike. (This could also have been a result of the scandal that rocked Habanos, SA, a few years ago - it is great having bar-code seals to guarantee the origin of every (unopened) box, but if what went into the ('grey market') box was substandard, then it doesn't matter.

Comparing the "same" brand names is useless, though. "Same" brands may not be at the same price point - and taste is subjective. Whether the difference is better or worse for one region or another is (now) a matter of taste and personal preference, not quality.

As an aside, cigar-boom era books are often poor resources. The book is perhaps idiotic, as "aging" is not the same as "curing." Essentially there were no aged Cubans produced until about three years ago (the Gran Reserva-labelled cigars). Poorly-cured, a.k.a., "green" tobacco, was found in the latter part of the cigar boom - in Cuban cigars and elsewhere.
    Craig
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Cigar Jesus just wept - kevin7
    A cigar storage primer | Basic Cuban cigar info

Blog Entries

I thought he was asking "Is a DR Cohiba finally comparable to a Cuban Cohiba" Not comparing pre-embargo cubans to boom cubans, to current cubans.

Will

Uncle Tupelo

A poor description on my part. I'm sure, after reading your post, that "cured" was the word used in the book, not aged. My mistake.
    Joe

Actually, Will, that was my rather long winded question. I should have been more concise. Are DR and other countries cigars comparable with today's Cuban counterparts?
    Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joetattoo View Post
    Actually, Will, that was my rather long winded question. I should have been more concise. Are DR and other countries cigars comparable with today's Cuban counterparts?
    Joe
    Ah, its ok.

To answer concisely: In my opinion, no.

To expand: I have had some non-cuban cigars that remind me of cuban cigars, such as a Don Pepin Black label 1977 (its a corona size.) Of course, YMMV.

Uncle Tupelo

Cuban tobacco is unique. It's not the tobacco plant that makes it unique - it's the soil the tobacco plant comes from. There are those that argue this - but the best place to grow tobacco is the Vuelta Abajo region of the extreme western part of Cuba. That's where tobacco is grown for Partagas and Cohiba. I personally am not a big fan of Cohiba, but I love the Vegas Robaina Famosos (from that region).

There are quite a few cigars produced throughout the world that are very nice. The same as Cuban? I don't think so. Very similar? I believe so. Blends are created that have a very similar profile.

It seems things have changed pretty dramatically since the cigar boom. I don't see the same emphasis on trying to compare NC's to Cuban's. I think cigar smokers have become much more pin tune with NC cigars. I still believe there is a faction of staunch Cuban cigar smokers, but I'm not sure Cuban cigars have the luster they did a while back. And - there are so many fake Cuban's floating around - it's sickening...

My journey with cigars has taken me many places. I've had some wonderful Cuban cigars - but I've had equally wonderful NC's. I say - don't get hung up on seeking out Cuban cigars. They're not necessarily overrated - but they're also not necessarily the best you can get.

The best way I can illustrate this for you - get a hold of a Davidoff. ,I'd recommend their Grand Cru line. In my view - consistently one of the best cigars you'll smoke. Beautifully made - incredibly blended. I've never been disappointed.

Thank you for really interesting and informative lessons. I took the plunge and ordered a few different cigars in 5 packs.

Davidoff Grand Cru #2

Davidoff Nicaragua Toro

Don Pepin Garcia Black Toro Gordo 2001

Hope I get to the mail box before the wife.

Joe

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    Cuban tobacco is unique. It's not the tobacco plant that makes it unique - it's the soil the tobacco plant comes from. There are those that argue this - but the best place to grow tobacco is the Vuelta Abajo region of the extreme western part of Cuba. That's where tobacco is grown for Partagas and Cohiba. I personally am not a big fan of Cohiba, but I love the Vegas Robaina Famosos (from that region).
    snip......
    And a lengthy discussion (argument) it would be.

Thread Information