Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking Music. Jazz or....

Default Smoking Music. Jazz or....

Who likes jazz?? And who are your favorites? What albums? Or something that has some good saxophone riffs? Any suggestions?? I need some good smoking music!

I've been listening to a lot of Johnny Cash. I also bought Lovin' Spoonful and Lou Reed. It's a change from my usual style of music, but a welcome one. The end saxophone riff on "Take a Walk on the Wild Side" is deadly! Way too short though Anyways, that leads me to this post
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

i like jazz, but i'm usually pretty picky about it, i like Bud Powell and Thelonious Monk, any jazz song with singing i hate.

I don't know much about jazz, but my smoke shop has DirectTV and they have it on the jazz music channel often, and I likes what I hears.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Afro-cuban jazz

5. Default

Never did figure out jazz. I like the blues.

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    Never did figure out jazz. I like the blues.

That's fine, WHAT blues
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Quote Originally Posted by joshua
    Afro-cuban jazz
    Never heard of it. Got some names I can do a search on and download some samples?

My favorites are John Coltrane and Charlie Parker. I agree with QuietC, something about jazz with vocals just bothers me.

Second the Coltrane and Parker. Also, any Miles Davis or Thelonious Monk! And if you want to toss some swing/big band stuff in, Louis Armstrong, Glenn Miller and Duke Elington are all great!

Raisins: + 12 1/2
    Termites: 5.56

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    That's fine, WHAT blues
    The Real sonny Boy Williamson...from Jackson, Tennessee, John Lee Hooker...haw, haw... haw, Robert Johnson, Led Belly, Muddy Waters.

Best enjoyed with really cold beer and Whole Hog Pit Bar-B-Q.

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    That's fine, WHAT blues
    The Real Sonny Boy Williamson...from Jackson, Tennessee, John Lee Hooker...haw, haw... haw, Robert Johnson, Led Belly, Muddy Waters.

reaganyouth84 Guest

I dig some blues, some Johnny Cash, and then there is the old stand by.....PUNK ROCK. Yeah, I'm a loser, haha. I usually don't listen to a whole lot of punk rock when I smoke though.
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    The Real Sonny Boy Williamson...from Jackson, Tennessee, John Lee Hooker...haw, haw... haw, Robert Johnson, Led Belly, Muddy Waters.

I've got a Sirius satelite radio and listen to mostly blues or classic country. Add R.L. Burnside to that list and you hit most of my favorites.

I love cold beer, cigars and smoked pig. My smokers not big enough to do whole hogs though . I found a bunch of marked down pork chops the other day and bought a freezer full. Chops are pretty good off the smoker as long as you don't dry them out real bad.

Do you have digital cable or satellite? They generally have a lot of channels dedicated to certain music tastes. Run your speaker "out" lines to your stereo and you've got CD quality, 100% music channels to enjoy!

Since cigar smoking is an art of relaxation, relaxing music would be best. Classic Jazz, Classical, etc. Frankly, I mostly listen to rock because I'm a rock kind of guy.

I have Sirius radio on my satellite dish. The Metal channel gets a bit of use when my dad isn't home

The Elvis station gets a lot of use when he is, so I hide upstairs in my room.

Jazz lover here too. Nothing better than listening to live jazz in a small club while smoking a fine cigar. Life does not get better than that, IMO.

For home listening, Miles Davis is a favorite. "Kind of Blue" is a classic and a great introduction to jazz.
    A woman is a woman, but a cigar is a smoke...

Miles Davis really does it for me, especially Kind Of Blue (So What and Freddie Freeloader are the best on that album). Just some awesome relaxed, funky, laid back kind of stuff. I also like a few of Diana Krall's and Ella Fitzgerald's Ballads. Again, relaxed, laid back.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

18. Default

I'm a Jazz lover too. Ben Webster, Miles, Billie Holyday, to name a few, are always welcome in my house during smoking time.

Quote Originally Posted by thepyrofish
    I have Sirius radio on my satellite dish. The Metal channel gets a bit of use when my dad isn't home

The Elvis station gets a lot of use when he is, so I hide upstairs in my room.
    Ohhh, Pyrofish. You need to embrace Elvis. Elvis, who I still love (headed to Memphis in October) taught me about guys like BB King, Big Boy Crudup, Muddy, Sonny Boy, T-Bone Walker, Son House.

THOSE guys are who really stared it all. Look back a ways: the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton, all started out as blues players. The English kids in the 50s and 60s recognized these great artists way before Americans did.

The blues, cold beer, bbq-ed pig, and a tasty stogie--it just don't get any better!

Moo
    "Chicks dig me cuz I rarely wear underwear, and when I do, it's usually something unusual"--Bill Murray, "Stripes"

i enjoy listening to big band/rat pack era jazz.

a newer guy named matt dusk... has some great tunes.. on his older album..

Thread Information