So im pretty new to cigars smoking. Only months into it and enjoying myself quite a bit. I bought a humidor and all from the local cigar shop to get a set up at home to store my stogies. I guess the guy selling me the humidor is new at this as well.

I was not sold a humidor I was sold a cigar box with a humidity regulator inside of it. The box has a felt lined top which holds moisture quite well until it got to wet and fell off lol. The box isnt even the right type of wood. The box held a humidity of 80% which of course is not gonna be good. So I live and learn. I wonder if this kinda thing happens to other cigar neophytes.

So gonna have to have a talk with the cigar shop owners about this fella and also get a new set up. I ordered the correct stuff from amazon. A nice spanish cedar box and 65 beads with a digital hygrometer.

I do have a question tho about humidity. A humidor is supposed to present a good environment for cigars to live in. This is done by a humidity regulator or beads or whatever the device is that admits moisture into the box to raise the humidity. What happens when its 80% humidity outside? How does a moisture device lower the humidity? I know that the box is sealed but once opened wouldnt the humidity be the same as it is in the house? In florida its very hard to maintain a low humidity inside. The humidity in my house is 75 right now and I have two air conditioning units.

Im just hoping that I set it up and it works which it will but I kinda like understanding why as well. Do these devices actually regulate or just add moisture to an environment ?