Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie - How Do I Puff Cigars?

1. Default Newbie - How Do I Puff Cigars?

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cigars. So much so that I've never smoked one. I am interested in smoking cigars, but there's one thing which I'm worried about.

This is going to be a completely ridiculous question, but how exactly do I puff cigars? Do I inhale at all, or do I just blow on the end of them? Or do I something completely different?

Blog Entries

cut one end

light the other (suck in to get other side lit)

and smoke, enjoy the taste and DON'T inhale

The rest will come natural.

Some Cigar shops let you smoke in them, you can ask about Cigar, recommendations and then buy one and smoke there. Just a thought.

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by King100
    I'm a complete newbie when it comes to cigars. So much so that I've never smoked one. I am interested in smoking cigars, but there's one thing which I'm worried about.

This is going to be a completely ridiculous question, but how exactly do I puff cigars? Do I inhale at all, or do I just blow on the end of them? Or do I something completely different?
    DO NOT inhale, take a page out of the Bill Clinton playbook. I'll leave the rest up to the experts on here.
    -Mike

It's like using listerine, you take a sip into your mouth but don't swallow. Take the smoke into your mouth by breathing in, but don't inhale (like Clinton).
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

I guess the best way to describe it is to suck with your cheeks, not with your lungs. I find I block my throat with my tongue and puff on the cigar with my lips and cheeks and jaw, once I have smoke in my mouth I slowly let it roll out of my mouth or I just exhale it out quick.

Either way, the other guys are right, N E V E R inhale
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

6. Default

I do, sometimes, exhale the smoke, or part of it, through my nose. Letting it bathe the back of my pallet. This accentuates the flavor, on my better smokes. Still not letting it hit the lungs, as that would turn me green I am afraid.
    Bitte geehrter Herr, stoppen das Spinnen der Welt, ich möchte weg erhalten.

Yeah inhaling can get you in trouble. Mr. Clinton had the right idea. Even though he did say that if given the chance he would try it again LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by RealPurobrat
    I do, sometimes, exhale the smoke, or part of it, through my nose. Letting it bathe the back of my pallet. This accentuates the flavor, on my better smokes. Still not letting it hit the lungs, as that would turn me green I am afraid.

I can't seem to let the cigar smoke out of my nose unless I inhale.... *shrug* I guess I just need more practice.... Any tips to doing this?
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

All I do is kinda push the smoke to the back of my mouth with my tongue and then exhale through my nose, and it seems to just happen.. Not all of it goes out however, and I still blow the rest through my lips. It feels really weird at first, depending on the cigar, but I find it does wonders for the taste of some.
    Last edited by thepyrofish; 08-01-2005 at 11:06 PM. Reason: I can't spell!

Quote Originally Posted by thepyrofish
    All I do is kinda push the smoke to the back of my mouth with my tongue and then exhale through my nose, and it seems to just happen.. Not all of it goes out however, and I still blow the rest through my lips. It feels really weird at first, depending on the cigar, but I find it does wonders for the taste of some.

I did it, I did it Thanks for the help Pyro

Default An important "puffing" tip....

Don't puff the cigar too quickly. Allow a short time between puffs. At least a minute. Two is better.

Puffing too much will cause the cigar to really heat up and become bitter or harsh.

As the others have said, it will come natural to you in a short time.

Enjoy.

And the exhaling through your nose thing isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    And the exhaling through your nose thing isn't necessary.

No, but it IS cool

jk

13. Default

Just Done Inhale and the rest will come natural....
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

Here is a great site to learn about smoking cigars: Cigar 101. Some of the articles are pretty lengthy, but, it should answer any and all questions you do have.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    I did it, I did it Thanks for the help Pyro

16. Default

Oh Yeah, Dont Feel Bad about asking dumb questions here. We all have to start somewhere. Hey, even Zino Davidoff once wondered how to puff a cigar! We all have to start somewhere.
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

Everyone has ther own opinion, but here's how I light and smoke.

Cut the cigar and clean up the end. If necessary, wet the end and let dry to reseat a loose wrapper or cap.

Roll the cigar through the lighter flame until the outside edge is lit all around (grey ash), then gently puf to get the center lit. Let it rest a moment. Make sure the foot is evenly lit before smoking or you increase the chance of an uneven burn.

Gently pull a mouthfull of smoke. With your mouth slightly open, let the smoke drift out of your mouth and wreathe your head. You can use this opportunity to gently sniff the smoke and appreciate it's aroma. Blow out the remaining smoke and appreciate the flavor on your palate.

Rest it a moment, have a sip of your drink, then repeat.

You can sneak in a double pull every once in a while if you want, blow a few smoke rings, whatever makes you happy!

I had to teach my wife the same thing. She was used to smoking cigarettes from her younger days and was trying to inhale the cigars and almost puked \

The way I got her to understand was (I think this was mentioned above) is to suck with your cheeks. I also told her it is like drinking from a straw. When you drink with a straw you do not immediately swallow the drink. You draw the drink (or in this case smoke) into your mouth very similar to sucking on a straw. Allow the smoke to linger in you mouth for a bit then blow it out.

Also . . . the advice above about smoking s l o w l y is also key. You will enjoy the cigar and it will taste much better if you smoke slowly.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by jaewing
    I had to teach my wife the same thing. She was used to smoking cigarettes from her younger days and was trying to inhale the cigars and almost puked \

The way I got her to understand was (I think this was mentioned above) is to suck with your cheeks. I also told her it is like drinking from a straw. When you drink with a straw you do not immediately swallow the drink. You draw the drink (or in this case smoke) into your mouth very similar to sucking on a straw. Allow the smoke to linger in you mouth for a bit then blow it out.

Also . . . the advice above about smoking s l o w l y is also key. You will enjoy the cigar and it will taste much better if you smoke slowly.

- Jason
    My wife did the same thing....she coughed for about 5 minutes, then got pissed at me for not telling her not to inhale.

I actually used the same explanation as Jason (the straw analogy) to tell her how to smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey
    My wife did the same thing....she coughed for about 5 minutes, then got pissed at me for not telling her not to inhale.

I actually used the same explanation as Jason (the straw analogy) to tell her how to smoke.

That's a good analo gy!!!

Thread Information