Thread: Dry cigars

Default Dry cigars

A friend of mine handed me over a few good cigars that he has neglected for a bit since he stopped smoking months back. Now these were in a ziplock with a humidification device. The device was dry as were the cigars but I cannot say when the device dried up so not sure how long. The cigars themselves are not cracked but they are a bit hard and dry. I put them in a baggie with a hygrometer and after a few hours the RH read 57.

So I am starting to try and hydrate them. From experience can anyone tell me if these cigars will live? My plan is to introduce distilled water on a sponge in the bag in small measures until I can get the RH up to 70%. Then gonna put em in the humi for a few months

Blog Entries

If they were dry for a long period of time and all the oils have gone away, the flavor will likely be very muted. Raise the RH of the sticks very slowly, be patient, and give one a shot.
    Personally, I wouldn't bother with a separate baggie while they are re-hydrating; I'd just bury the bastards in the cooler and forget about 'em for 2-3 months.

So just checked em after going all night in the baggie. RH is raised to 62 which is hopeful. I may just do what your saying ash and throw em in the humi. I wasnt sure if that was a good idea

Blog Entries

Well, YMMV, but as long as there isn't any evidence of beetle activity that's what I'd do.

Blog Entries

Yep, what Jamie said. I'd put them in a separate ziplock (closed, which will help keep the re-humidification slow) in the bottom of the coolidor/humidor and forget about them. Some day you'll fire one up and wonder why it has little/no taste.

What kind of cigars are they?
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    Yep, what Jamie said. I'd put them in a separate ziplock (closed, which will help keep the re-humidification slow) in the bottom of the coolidor/humidor and forget about them. Some day you'll fire one up and wonder why it has little/no taste.

What kind of cigars are they?
    I wonder how dry a stick must be before it loses flavor. I guess Ill find out lol. They are cohiba

Quote Originally Posted by DanB6177 View Post
    I wonder how dry a stick must be before it loses flavor. I guess Ill find out lol. They are cohiba
    If they are "Cohiba" and your friend mishandled them (e.g. let them dry out) - forget about losing its flavor, chances are they are something that probably was not good to smoke even on its best day...

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese View Post
    If they are "Cohiba" and your friend mishandled them (e.g. let them dry out) - forget about losing its flavor, chances are they are something that probably was not good to smoke even on its best day...
    im gonna keep my fingers crossed for a few months. Left them in basically 68RH for a few days and now they are in the humi.

Thread Information