Thread: Any Horseshoe Pitchers?

Default Any Horseshoe Pitchers?

Wondering if there are others on this board and would love to read about your preferences and experiences.

I discovered horseshoes about 2 years ago and have not looked back. Being OCD, I have amassed over 70 pairs of solid steel sets (Mostly from the 20's through the 70's)- replacing cigars as my #1 recreational expense.

Part of my hiatus from the community here is due to this new addiction. I play pretty much every day rain or shine. The winters here can be a drag- so thank goodness for Poker I guess I like to get in at least 300 throws per day and through the summer have averaged 48% ringer results. Aiming for the state title next year.

Favorite shoes are Alan Francis Signatures, M&M Specials & the Wave.
    Last edited by slcraiders; 09-16-2014 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add on...
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

2. Default

I play sometimes. It's fun .

Now a tater cannon ,I can make some cool ones
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7 View Post
    I play sometimes. It's fun .

Now a tater cannon ,I can make some cool ones
    I'm more in this boat here ^
    I might play twice a year, if I'm lucky, however we like to also play quates around here, which is similar, but the pits are closer, clay, and the shoes are round donuts.
    The powers that be might take it all away
    Together we burn, together we burn away

Uncle Tupelo

Admittedly, I have both pitched my share of horseshoes, and launched my share of taters (even had the tater cannon blow up on me once, and catch my shirt on fire), but sadly, have not done either in quite some time... Think I'll drag out the ol' tater cannon and horseshoe sets for the next family gathering!

I'm more of a cornhole kinda guy. But, I do enjoy horseshoes on rare occasion.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreekTitan View Post
    I'm more of a cornhole kinda guy. But, I do enjoy horseshoes on rare occasion.
    Snicker

Snicker
    +1

Snicker
    Oh, come on. You trying to tell me you never got into some good cornhole? Ice cold beer, a good smoke and some tight cornhole play......man, not much better.

Horseshoes and cigars certainly go well together.

I too like to partake in some of the other backyard classics such as cornhole toss and ringer washer toss. All good stuff! Have not tried the tator cannon thing but it sounds up my alley
    Mama said a lot of things and be thankful was the one she never minded saying twice

--Drive-By Truckers

10. Default

I wish we all lived closer together, a tater cannon herf would be so cool.

Blog Entries

I enjoy horseshoes but rarely play. I've always thrown them in what I would consider the standard way with the opening towards the peg (U) but I've seen guys turn the shoe 90 degrees (C) and they were more into horseshoes than I. Seems like it would be harder in the "C" mode, but they beat me anyway -- is that a more "advanced" method or were they just messing around?

I wish we all lived closer together, a tater cannon herf would be so cool.
    Jamie's house is sorta central to all of us -- I'm sure his wife would be fine with us all showing up and crashing there.
    Quote Originally Posted by badwhale View Post
    Buzz is smoking our cigars. This probably is his triumphant scam.

I've got 2 tater cannons, and 2 sets of horseshoes, but sadly, not enough smokes to go very far... Slowly but surely working on the latter though! If we decide on a venue for our redneck tea party, I'll bring the beer and entertainment if somebody else brings the cigars. Anybody got any overgrown turnips in their garden? They make the best tater cannon ammunition!

Quote Originally Posted by buzz View Post
    I enjoy horseshoes but rarely play. I've always thrown them in what I would consider the standard way with the opening towards the peg (U) but I've seen guys turn the shoe 90 degrees (C) and they were more into horseshoes than I. Seems like it would be harder in the "C" mode, but they beat me anyway -- is that a more "advanced" method or were they just messing around?
    Nah, Buzz- they weren't messing around with you. The "C" throwers, as you call them, are "Turn" pitchers. They throw either a 1 1/4 or 1 3/4 style and make up about 75% of the top pros. The "U" is thrown by "Flip" pitchers (flip, double flip, or overhand flip). The Turn style is more "sexy" and takes more discipline/true technique, imho. Unfortunately, I am a Flip style pitcher, but it is really working for me.

--Drive-By Truckers

Thread Information