Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: D & S Cigar reviews

Default D & S Cigar reviews

Zemis Torpedo(6x56) $1.84 a cigar comes in a box of 6 for $11 at this size.

When I first took the cello off and had a whiff it reminded me of hay from a barn which I enjoyed. I made the cut using a V cut. On a draw before lighting I found it very easy like sucking air through a straw. I don't like it this loose. Taste was mild. This cigar didn't have a bad tasting tobacco just not a yum one. It was plain. Didn't make me want to spit so it wasn't cheap tobacco. Just mild. The ash lasted until an inch and half and when it finally fell off it broke apart easy when it landed. I was able to see into the cigar and it's a loose pack making for the easy draw. To me this would be a cigar to leave out for people who don't smoke but they just want a big cigar or to have a cigar which you aren't worried about throwing away unfinished. But at the price listed it's over priced. I would say it's more of a dollar or under cigar.

Colita Premium Box cigar Jibarito(6x48) $1.08 a cigar and comes in a box of 50 for $54 at this size.

This cigar had a nice tobacco smell to it and I made the standard V cut. The first draw was nice not loose like the Zemis. Once lit it had a mild taste and was nice. The ash lasted a little over an inch. The only problem I had with this cigar was that it didn't burn even up to an inch uneven. But all in all this is a decent value cigar. To me this cigar is a good one to hand to a mooching friend who not into cigars but grabs one from you at times or again when you only have a certain amount a time and don't want to worry about putting it out unfinished. My only recommendation would be to change the name and packaging. As you seen Rick it's real close to Cohiba cigars.

Fuma Dominicana Especial Churchill(7x50) $1.16 each and comes in a bundle of 25 for $29 at this size.

The cigar looked good construction wise but after a whiff I had a flashback to my first days with cigars at gas stations and drug stores. I gave it my V cut and took a test pull. It was loose but not as loose as the Zemis. This cigar burned the most even of the 3 so far but the ash wouldn't make it to an inch. When the ash hit the ground it turn to dust showing the loose pack. It did put off a lot of smoke but was mild in taste and burn a little hot. I didn't really care for this cigar as my taste have changed from my first days and it wasn't for me.

Cubanito Churchill(7x50)$1.08 each and comes in a bundle of 25 for $27 at this size.

This was cracked but still looked smoke able. Smelled like the Fuma and I gave it the V cut. First draw was good. It wasn't loose but not tight either. Burn was close to being even but ash wouldn't last much more that a 3/4 inch. The ash didn't break apart on landing but while attached to the cigar the ash was split and didn't look nice and firm. Now on to taste. I didn't like the first inch and half at all. The middle became ok and then at the end it was back to being bad. I had a hard time finishing this cigar. I didn't like it.

Of the 4 cigars that I tried that aren't flavored the Colita Premium Box cigar is the only one I would consider. But I am on my way to become a cigar snob. On average my cigars last an hour and half maybe a longer. I like to sit back and relax so I tend not to smoke unless I'm going to have time to enjoy the cigar. This make me like a better cigar. If you have a tight budget and are looking for a "budget" smoke then you might want to try these.

Rich I would like to thank you for allowing me to do the taste testing and find your willingness to send out samples great. I wish the results where better but this was my opnion of them. The blends need work. Once again Thank you. I will smoked the flavored one next week and give my final review then.

Default Cubanito

Now that I have returned fom vacation and the D&S smokes have had time to sit in the humi I thought I would put one to the torch . . .

The prelight aroma was nothing special, smelled mild and not very aromatic. Construction appeared firm with some small veins. I gave with a punch cut and attempted a pre-light draw and found it to be tight so I went to the traditional cutter - no help. However I venture on. Though tight it still lit and I got a bit of a draw on it. WARNING TO D&S: Do not read any farther if you want to reamin happy. The flavor reminded me of the late Fall and piles of burning leaves and grass clippings. However I venture on to give a fair review out of gratitute for receiving the free samples. Things did not improve and I coupld only get about half way through before I had to chuck this "thing" in the ashtray.

Needless to say I went running to my humi to get a better smoke to reward my pallate for enduring such abuse.

I have to give the Cubanito Sorry D&S this one gets a failing grade. Not even worth "Yard Gar" status.

- Jason
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Thumbs up New Here

Hey Ya'll,
    I'm new here but I'm a long time reader. I actually placed an order from D&S Cigars a few weeks ago(I actually placed another one last week too). I actually have to disagree with ya'll. I was actually quite suprised from these cigars. I've been a smoker for over 8 years and I've kinda gotten bored from the same old cigars. I was blow away by there 'mojo' line. I really enjoyed this strong flavored cigar(I'm actually not a fan of flavored cigars so I was a bit suprised) I also purcahsed their 'Fuma Dominicana Especial' and 'Cubanito'. I actually fell in love with the 'Cubanito's' smoothness. I really liked this smoke. It was smooth and long lasting. I tried a 'Fuma' yesterday. It wasn't bad. It actually has the best construction out of all them. However it was a bit too strong for me. If you're into strong cigars I suggest you try them out. Ohh, D&S sent me a free 'colita' chocolate tin box with the first order. I must admit I'm not a fan of flavored cigars, but this one got to me. I went ahead and purchased their "SweeTeez" last week and a Mojo Incense Pack, I tried a stick yesterday of the sweeteez.....let me just say I was not disapointed. I'm really intreaged by their flavor cigars, they seem to have gotten it right. Ohh one last thing, I really think you guys should take a look at their 'Mojo' Incense pack. It's actually a great idea. It comes in a really nice bamboo pack with incense and an incense holder. It's great to light up while your smokeing(keeps the wife from yelling at me ) Well hope this helped, I look forward to beeing a member of this board.

8. Default

Zemis - This was a Torp, and was a nice looking cigar with a nice prelight aroma. The draw was a bit tight on first cut but I again snipped slightly lower and it opened up nicely. The flavor was what I might expect from a $1 - $2 smoke and at $9 for a pack of 6 they would be worth the money. Slightly nutty with a floral hint. The finish was short with a note of overly roasted coffee bean. I will be ordering some of these soon as I rather liked them

Cubanito - This was more of a churchill size I think, and the draw was tight, so I cut further and never actually got a good draw. There was very little smoke volume due to a draw that made my cheeks ache. I tossed it after about an inch or two. I would never say no to a cigar after trying only one as I can see how there could be duds from time to time and I do have the Luck of my Irish Ancestry. So if I see them in a local shop, I may try another to see, as the flavor did seam to have some potential.

Fuma Dominicana Especial - This one certainly surprised me, at about $1 a piece I expected a $1 cigar, but found this one quite enjoyable, to the nub no less. I will also be ordering some of these. I detected floral and citrus, with a long finish that tasted of Walnut.

Ciboney - Sweet tipped, Medium filler with a taste that was too much like Road Tar for me to get any enjoyment out of it. And sweetened tips turn me off anyway.

Mojo - Acid, nuff said, no thanks

I was hoping to find in this line a rash of passable cigars that I could use in a capacity to resell on my local Gas Station counter (to compete with Swisher and White Owl). I only found however, 2 of the bunch that I want to smoke and neither of which I would try to sell for more than what the manufacturer charges. So I am back to drawing board on the Business end of it.

Rick, I certain;y appreciate you letting me try the cigars, the Colita Tin with the chocolates, while not something I would normally have chosen, are giving me a nice little smoke for a quickie. My wife has already claimed the tin when it is empty. The Punch cutter is nice as well. I look forward to ordering some of the Zemis and FDEs from you in the near future.
    Bitte geehrter Herr, stoppen das Spinnen der Welt, ich möchte weg erhalten.

Quote Originally Posted by RealPurobrat
    Zemis - This was a Torp, and was a nice looking cigar with a nice prelight aroma. The draw was a bit tight on first cut but I again snipped slightly lower and it opened up nicely. The flavor was what I might expect from a $1 - $2 smoke and at $9 for a pack of 6 they would be worth the money. Slightly nutty with a floral hint. The finish was short with a note of overly roasted coffee bean. I will be ordering some of these soon as I rather liked them

Cubanito - This was more of a churchill size I think, and the draw was tight, so I cut further and never actually got a good draw. There was very little smoke volume due to a draw that made my cheeks ache. I tossed it after about an inch or two. I would never say no to a cigar after trying only one as I can see how there could be duds from time to time and I do have the Luck of my Irish Ancestry. So if I see them in a local shop, I may try another to see, as the flavor did seam to have some potential.

Fuma Dominicana Especial - This one certainly surprised me, at about $1 a piece I expected a $1 cigar, but found this one quite enjoyable, to the nub no less. I will also be ordering some of these. I detected floral and citrus, with a long finish that tasted of Walnut.

Ciboney - Sweet tipped, Medium filler with a taste that was too much like Road Tar for me to get any enjoyment out of it. And sweetened tips turn me off anyway.

Mojo - Acid, nuff said, no thanks

I was hoping to find in this line a rash of passable cigars that I could use in a capacity to resell on my local Gas Station counter (to compete with Swisher and White Owl). I only found however, 2 of the bunch that I want to smoke and neither of which I would try to sell for more than what the manufacturer charges. So I am back to drawing board on the Business end of it.

Rick, I certain;y appreciate you letting me try the cigars, the Colita Tin with the chocolates, while not something I would normally have chosen, are giving me a nice little smoke for a quickie. My wife has already claimed the tin when it is empty. The Punch cutter is nice as well. I look forward to ordering some of the Zemis and FDEs from you in the near future.
    Don't count on ever seeing an order from PuroMooch, D&S.

The verbal reach around given to your products was a nice touch though by PB.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

Default Colita

I picked this one up last night. I really wanted to like this one because it looked so good with a dark wrapper with few if any veins/flaws. The prelight aroma was nice but not the greatest. With a quick snip of the cutter I found that the draw was near perfect. This was however where the good part of this cigar ended. I lit this one up and the first few puffs were almost intollerable with a very bad taste. My wife even commented on the smell of the cigar once the smoke wafted her way. I tried to get through it thinking that it might get better but I had to chuck this after an inch or so.

I was really dissappointed with this one mainly because after looking at it, feeling it in my hand and the pleasant pre-light aroma I held out high hopes for this to be a cheap and good everyday smoke.

Another dud . . . sorry D&S.

I think I will try the Zemis next. More to come here.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by slick
    Hey Ya'll,
    I'm new here but I'm a long time reader. I actually placed an order from D&S Cigars a few weeks ago(I actually placed another one last week too). I actually have to disagree with ya'll. I was actually quite suprised from these cigars. I've been a smoker for over 8 years and I've kinda gotten bored from the same old cigars. I was blow away by there 'mojo' line. I really enjoyed this strong flavored cigar(I'm actually not a fan of flavored cigars so I was a bit suprised) I also purcahsed their 'Fuma Dominicana Especial' and 'Cubanito'. I actually fell in love with the 'Cubanito's' smoothness. I really liked this smoke. It was smooth and long lasting. I tried a 'Fuma' yesterday. It wasn't bad. It actually has the best construction out of all them. However it was a bit too strong for me. If you're into strong cigars I suggest you try them out. Ohh, D&S sent me a free 'colita' chocolate tin box with the first order. I must admit I'm not a fan of flavored cigars, but this one got to me. I went ahead and purchased their "SweeTeez" last week and a Mojo Incense Pack, I tried a stick yesterday of the sweeteez.....let me just say I was not disapointed. I'm really intreaged by their flavor cigars, they seem to have gotten it right. Ohh one last thing, I really think you guys should take a look at their 'Mojo' Incense pack. It's actually a great idea. It comes in a really nice bamboo pack with incense and an incense holder. It's great to light up while your smokeing(keeps the wife from yelling at me ) Well hope this helped, I look forward to beeing a member of this board.
    Sounds like you smoke a lot of Swisher Sweets! From what Diesel Grinch and Jaewing have said about them, it sounds like they are a short step ahead of SS's and other fine gas station, non-humidified cigars!

Thumbs up

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I've always thought everyone has different tastes in cigars the same way everyone has tastes in food. Taste really differ. Honestly the only cigar I didn't like was the Fuma Especial I found it too strong. I enjoyed the rest, however, I don't expect everyone to have the same taste as I do, the same way I probly wouldn't enjoy certain cigars they enjoy.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I've always thought everyone has different tastes in cigars the same way everyone has tastes in food. Taste really differ. Honestly the only cigar I didn't like was the Fuma Especial I found it too strong. I enjoyed the rest, however, I don't expect everyone to have the same taste as I do, the same way I probly wouldn't enjoy certain cigars they enjoy.
    I think you stated that everyone has different tastes one too many times. But, you are right I guess some people like to smoke piles of burning leaves and grass clippings. As stated by Jaewing!

Hey Ya'll,

Welcome Slick!

I am curious Slick, how long have you been reading CigarSmokers.com ?

Also, what cigars have you been enjoying on a regular basis since you have been a cigar smoker?
    Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 08-15-2005 at 02:06 PM.

`
    `

Disclaimer: All views made on The Hugh Jorgan Show ® are the opinion of Hugh Jorgan Productions, Inc. ® and do not reflect the views of our sponsors.

I'm new here. These cigars were a bad first post i guess, this happend in another forum. I try to keep an open mind on cigars. I try to keep my taste as open as i can, this is why i purchased these. My personal favorites right would probably have to be Padron and probly Ashton cigars. I'm not really into flavored cigars but lately I've enjoyed Acid cigars. Ohh, and a few months back my buddy gave me an Opus X, I really enjoyed it.

Damage control from DandS Cigars in effect.
    Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 08-15-2005 at 02:43 PM.

`
    `

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    Damage control from the DandS Cigars in effect.
    ? I'm not understanding 'Hugh'

Interesting.

So I noticed that while "Slick" was logged in here at CigarSmokers, DandScigars was logged in at CigarPass.

I decided to watch the online log to see the activities of "Slick' and "Rick" of DandScigars.

(With the log, you can see when the last time a member chose or refreshed a thread.)

For a 45 minute period, when Slick was timed to refresh a thread, Rick's refresh time would mimic it, as if the same individual was checkiing back into recent updates on the two boards. This went on for a half dozen times.

Coincidence?

Slick's activity stopped at 3:57 and was dormant for a quite a while.

Coincidentally, Rick's activity at CigarPass was also dormant from the 3:57 marker....

At 4:12, Rick logged off at CigarPass.

Oddly enough, at the same time of 4:12, Slick logged off CigarSmokers.

My money says that Slick (aka SlickNYC at CigarPass) and Rick of DandScigars are the same person.
    Last edited by Hugh Jorgan; 08-15-2005 at 06:59 PM.

`
    `

And look, they both logged back on at the same time!

`
    `

wtf? Seriously dude I think you're a bit paranoid and have been watching to many James Bond movies. I don't know what I did to you for you to keep on going after me. I didn't think likeing a particular cigar would require me to receive so much sh*t from you. I honestly don't any relation to that cigar company. I read that you guy's were reviewing their cigars, so I shared mine. I thought this is what is suppose to be done in thie forum. I'm mean i'm new here and everything but I think your giving me a lot of crap for nothing, it's like your out to get me because I don't agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Jorgan
    Interesting.

So I noticed that while "Slick" was logged in here at CigarSmokers, DandScigars was logged in at CigarPass.

I decided to watch the online log to see the activities of "Slick' and "Rick" of DandScigars.

(With the log, you can see when the last time a member chose or refreshed a thread.)

For a 45 minute period, when Slick was timed to refresh a thread, Rick's refresh time would mimic it, as if the same individual was checkiing back into recent updates on the two boards. This went on for a half dozen times.

Coincidence?

Slick's activity stopped at 3:57 and was dormant for a quite a while.

Coincidentally, Rick's activity at CigarPass was also dormant from the 3:57 marker....

At 4:12, Rick logged off at CigarPass.

Oddly enough, at the same time of 4:12, Slick logged off CigarSmokers.

My money says that Slick (aka SlickNYC at CigarPass) and Rick of DandScigars is the same person.
    Last edited by slick; 08-15-2005 at 03:40 PM.

Thread Information