Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutter preference

Don't believe the "self-sharpening" hype. You'd be surprised how quickly a blade dulls cutting anything. You don't find many people to sharpen them either. There's the inherent problem with expensive cutters. You'll have to buy two and send them back to the factory for sharpening. The disposability of the single blade cheapies is what draws me to them, not the performance.

2. Default

Most DBGs I've come across were easily sharpened by myself after they got dull.......but I'm also a knife guy and I like to keep all my blades sharp.
    The heat around the corner....

Quote Originally Posted by 55Kingpin
    Most DBGs I've come across were easily sharpened by myself after they got dull.......but I'm also a knife guy and I like to keep all my blades sharp.

how do you go about sharpening them? i have a Colibri guillotine with curved blades. haven't figured out how to sharpen them yet.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

What kind of stone do you use on the curved blades? A ceramic rod?

I have one of those UNO Italia combination lock knife and cigar cutter things. useless at cutting cigars but quite good for opening oysters (yum). Impresses the ladies too (I wish).
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Quote Originally Posted by stjohnroe
    Impresses the ladies too (I wish).
    Nobody quote that please, the wife might get upset.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

I use my punch for almost everything... if its a bigger cigar i'll i'll use it twice side by side overlapping a bit so i get more of an oval...

i have a DBG but i just dont seem to get very good cuts with it... I prolly should use it more and get more practice.... but its bigger and not as easy to carry around with me...
    and I always worry i'll chop a finger tip off on accident with it in my pocket
    -=JStrider=-
    ~a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke. -- Rudyard Kipling

~Clatto Verata Nicto

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    What kind of stone do you use on the curved blades? A ceramic rod?
    Eventually the blades take on a true flat grind. Like that of a chisel. It is very easy to get a flat grind sharp, but it is also a delicate edge, so I usually just make a "working" edge instead of a "scary sharp" edge. It is more durable.

I have a Spyderco 204 (I think that is the model) and you can use the triangular shaped stones that come with it. You have to do it by hand (without a guide) but it works. A crude way of doing it would be to use a bastard file.....YMMV.

An even cruder way of doing it would be to wrap sandpaper around a pencil.

BTW, a cheap way to convex the edge of a knife blade (and keep it "scary" sharp) is to strop it on the back of the cardboard on a paper notebook. Victorinox Swiss Army blades can easily become shaving tools with this method.

Hope this info. helps. If you're new to knives and sharpening, please be safe and practice on your crappy blades until you get the techniques down.

I always wondered if and how you can get blades sharp enough to shave... You say rub it on cardboard??? Explain that a bit more if you could
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    I always wondered if and how you can get blades sharp enough to shave... You say rub it on cardboard??? Explain that a bit more if you could
    This method is known as stropping or convexing the edge. Instead of having a v-grind or hollow grind you strop the blade on leather to convex the edge (like an ax or hatchet). I know you've seen barbers do this. You can also use the "textured" cardboard that is usually found on the backs of most school notebooks. This method is crude but I recommend it for cheap blades. I'm not gonna strop a $300 Microtech on cardboard but you get the idea.

I've also used the back of my belt as a "field" sharpener for my Victorinox SAKs. I have shaved with a Vic SAK before. I wouldn't trade it for a traditional razor but it works.

There is a plethora of sharpening info. on the interweb. Like I said before, buy a Spyderco 204 and practice on some cheap blades. When you get good you can move up to other methods.

If you want some more info check out the boards at Knife Forums

Thread Information