Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutter preference

Default Cutter preference

How do you cut your cigar
    I like the punch cutters the best. I have tried double guillotine and scissors. both seem to pinch. Never tried the single blade or notch cutter. Thsnks
    ps the RYJ Reserve Maduro from JR was good.
    Remember to breathe

reaganyouth84 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Porthos
    How do you cut your cigar
    I like the punch cutters the best. I have tried double guillotine and scissors. both seem to pinch. Never tried the single blade or notch cutter. Thsnks
    ps the RYJ Reserve Maduro from JR was good.
    I prefer the punch, but I am becoming more skilled with the cutters...so right now it's a toss up.
    -Mike

i like the double guillotines

I own a punch cutter, double guillotine and a V cutter, and all three come in handy, depending on the type of cigar I am going to smoke.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

I have never used a punch cutter but would like to look into it. Usually I'll stick with a guillotine.

Quote Originally Posted by cigar no baka
    I own a punch cutter, double guillotine and a V cutter, and all three come in handy, depending on the type of cigar I am going to smoke.

I agree. As a DBL Guillotine I use my Xikar, and I'm impressed with it
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

I really like to use my punch cutter...but some cigars you have to use a DBG cutter. I don't have a v cutter or scissors, so I can't comment on those, but a single blade guillotine SUCKS! I have a couple that I keep around in case of emergencies, because I sometimes misplace the others, but if you are going to use a guillotine, it should to be a double blade in my opinion.

I have one nice DBG and a few punch cutters and they keep me happy.

I like the V cutter the best at the moment.

I prefer the Double gullitine cutter. I tried a single blade cutter and I did not care for it all. I have to say though I have never tried a punch.

10. Default

Punches work well for me when I have a small ring gauge cigar or one with a very minimalistic head.......other times I use a DBG. The trick to a DBG is to get the blades right up to where they touch the cigar, and then give a quick, yet powerful close of the handles. If the DBG is worth anything at all, and sharp, this method should leave you with a nice clean cut.

Whatever you do, stay away from single bladed guillotines......
    The heat around the corner....

Double blade guillotine, sometimes the single ones will make an uneven cut or even tear the wrapper.
    I thought it was a tampon joke!

Yep, single blades suck. I should know, I'm using one right now. A punch or V cutter won't work on torpedos, pyramids, etc. For a universal cutter, the dbl. blade is the way to go.

13. Default

I have tried the single bladed guillotines and hate em'. The doubles are okay but I seem to tear the wrapper or just get crooked cuts with it, maybe its just lack of skill who knows. I have the Xikar Multi-tool on the way and it has the scissors on it, ill let you know hwo it comes out. over all though I love the punch unless the ring gauge is too big than I go with the DG.

K&P

14. Default

I prefer a good double blade cutter. I just got a new rose wood Double blade Xkiar and I absolutely love it!
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

i have a double guillotine and a single blade. i don't use the single blade anymore. i have only tried the punch once because i forgot my cutter once and that was the only cutter my friend had at the moment.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

I like the double blade best
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth
    Yep, single blades suck. I should know, I'm using one right now. A punch or V cutter won't work on torpedos, pyramids, etc. For a universal cutter, the dbl. blade is the way to go.

Hmm, well I use my V cutter on torpedos all the time and so far it has worked well for me. Why do you say they don't , what problems have you had?
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

18. Default

Scissors or double guillotine for me. I don't like v-shape cutters.

19. Cool

I use a double bladed guillotine on most of my smokes. It cost about $15 in a cigar store. It requires a bit of care and attention and a steady hand to get the best cut. The more practice I get, the better it works. Sometimes I'll use a punch cutter on the fatter vitolas.

I have a backup single bladed guillotine I'll use while travelling or when I can't find my double. I think it cost me four or five buck. It works ok. Once I received a freebie cigar branded single bladed guillotine which would cut ragged and jam up every time I used it. A real piece of crap.

I've never used scissors, they look like they'd pinch.

Sometimes I wonder how old I have to be before I can wear a waistcoat (that would be a "vest" to you guys) and a gold chain with a pocket watch on one end of the chain and my cigar cutter on the other. Sixty? Fifty-five, maybe?
    Last edited by Corona Gigante; 08-05-2005 at 10:07 AM.

The last cigar I had, I used my DG. I squeezed it like normal, and nothing was happening, so i squeezed pretty damn hard, and it finally penetrated the cigar. Thought maybe I need to work out more, but do you think it's becoming dull? Or maybe it was just that cigar, I'll have to see on the next one I use it on. If it's dull already, I'm going to have to go with a Xikar next.

Thread Information