"Absinthe makes you crazy and criminal, provokes epilepsy and tuberculosis, and has killed thousands of French people. It makes a ferocious beast of man, a martyr of woman, and a degenerate of the infant, it disorganizes and ruins the family and menaces the future of the country." - Absinthe Critic from "back in the day"

Absinthe that is said to have caused the cutting off of van Gogh's ear came from a different era. There are a ton of claims as to what caused hallucinations from the drink, but I believe most attribute the hallucinations to excessive drinking in general...

I have a bottle of Le Fee Absinthe "Parisienne" that was "spirited" (pun intended) out of France in the days before the ban on Absinthe was lifted in the US. This (my understanding) is about the best representative if Absinthe you'll find. My understanding is that it also has the maximum amount of wormwood that is called for in the original recipe. I agree with others - while I did not drink a LOT of it (enough to invoke a desire to drink a case of Molson), I did enjoy both the taste (unusual herbal taste) and the experience (e.g. mellow feeling). I am not compelled to drink it to excess, and only drink from the bottle on rare occasion.

To this day I would like to have Absinthe in the "traditional" method - with the special drinking glass, slotted spoon, sugar cube and ice water fountain. If anything - not unlike smoking a cigar it would be interesting to just sit around with others, follow the ritual and contemplate the process...