Thread: Help me figure out what's going on

1. Default Help me figure out what's going on

Here is the deal. I'm having an issue with tasting. Some days cigars taste great other days really bad. Same brand sticks that I know taste great to me. They are name brand like pradrons and stuff so it's not the sticks. I do keep about a half stopped up nose but I've been spraying a decongestant before smoking and it clears it and that doesn't help. So I guess it's my palate? Not sure why some days they taste great other days not?

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board. I'm going to follow my Mom's advice and just say nuttin' else.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammerjammer24 View Post
    Here is the deal. I'm having an issue with tasting. Some days cigars taste great other days really bad. Same brand sticks that I know taste great to me. They are name brand like pradrons and stuff so it's not the sticks. I do keep about a half stopped up nose but I've been spraying a decongestant before smoking and it clears it and that doesn't help. So I guess it's my palate? Not sure why some days they taste great other days not?
    Welcome to the board.

I would suggest you're right about it being you and not the cigars. If memory serves me, decongestants will leave a rather lousy taste in the back of your throat and your mouth which could definitely cause a cigar (or food or drink etc) taste different than it should. Maybe keep track on a sheet of paper or an excel file and make note of whether or not your sinus' were bothering you and whether or not you used a decongestant and how the cigar tasted each time you have one.

After a few cigars you should start building up enough info to know if that's the problem. Other than that, are you eating or drinking anything specific before or during your cigar? Food and beverages can also affect flavor.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

***William Ernest Henley***

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
    Welcome to the board.

I would suggest you're right about it being you and not the cigars. If memory serves me, decongestants will leave a rather lousy taste in the back of your throat and your mouth which could definitely cause a cigar (or food or drink etc) taste different than it should. Maybe keep track on a sheet of paper or an excel file and make note of whether or not your sinus' were bothering you and whether or not you used a decongestant and how the cigar tasted each time you have one.

After a few cigars you should start building up enough info to know if that's the problem. Other than that, are you eating or drinking anything specific before or during your cigar? Food and beverages can also affect flavor.
    I've not sprayed decongestant and they taste bad and then sprayed decongestant and there was no change really. One day when they tasted great I had drank a hoppy beer before so I thought that might be the trick but tried it again one day and it was more of the same. I thought since I drink coffee maybe that was it but can't really see a correlation

Quote Originally Posted by Rammerjammer24 View Post
    Really hard question to answer because I can't possibly understand what's going on in your mouth. But - I will say - some days I'm in the mood for a cigar, and other days I'm not. Obviously on the days I'm not - the cigars don't taste as appealing. I've noticed it with wine and beer too - some days I'm really into it. But if I'm not I just don't enjoy it at all and wonder why I wasted my money....

Blog Entries

When I'm sick with a head cold, cigars generally taste terrible. Wait until you feel that you're over your cold/flu/whatever then see what you think.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Thread Information