Quote Originally Posted by Kenyth View Post
As if to make my point. I was just informed that there is a reorganization of IT in the county. All the PD (me) and prosecutor IT employees are being pulled into the County IT department as of next year to provide consolidated support. We will still have jobs, just not the same jobs. Exactly what that means is unclear, but I'm probably going to have less for it in the end. Even if my salary isn't cut, I will probably lose my personal car, mobile aircard, and mobile phone. The car is a significant part of my compensation. The nice new computer workstation, MS Surface pro tablet I just got is probably not following me either. Job title will likely change for the worse as well. I will wait until I get solid details, but at this point it looks like a downgrade. They already have an IT Manager and System Administrator at that level, so I'm not sure there is room for more.
I've been on the private side for about 10 years now. The one thing I can say I've learned is a constant - CHANGE... I've been through a very significant merger and multiple department reorgs. It is definitely not the way it was when I started - some good, some not so good... The best piece of advice I can give you - ALWAYS evolve - don't stay static - and "know yourself!" A VERY good read - "What Color is Your Parachute" by Dick Bolles.

Good luck!