IT jobs kind of suck right now compared to ten years back. My earnings are the lowest they've been in 10 years and the amount of work I do is more. Primarily because they staff less people on average. Less jobs that pay less since the bubble burst. I can't say I'd recommend IT work to my kids anymore. Everyone is trying to move their services to the cloud and get rid of their servers. Every guy who lost his factory job moved into computer work it seems. Flooded the market.

I should have tried to get that federal IT job some years back. I knew someone. It was just a tech position, but very secure and had scheduled raises. I'd be making more than I am now with less responsibility.

Luckily, my wife is a skilled worker in an Accounting and Finance type of career and she kept moving up. Working hard only gets you so far. You cant fight it when your job's market value declines. I should probably seriously think about a career change or finishing up a Masters degree. Everyone I know who makes what I used to make had to get their Masters degree.

Ah well, time to quit whining and get back to work!