Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid traffic ticket

Blog Entries

Oh oh, don't mess with a retired NYC Police officer (that would be BkCloud)

AND he is 100% right about trying to fight a speeding ticket if they have you dead to rights on radar or laser, you ARE NOT going to win. Your only chance is to hope that the States Attorney offers you a lower fine, if he/she does TAKE THE OFFER, DO NOT be beligerent and try to "have your day in court" because you will lose and probably wind up paying more because you ticked them off for wasting their time

In my carreer I too have also come across some liars in my Department, the vast majority are good guys, but the few liars make it bad for everybody.....

Now when I say "liars" I am referring to out-right criminal behavior... I got some good stories for a HERF one day.... would make your jaw hit the floor.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bkcloud114
    In my carreer I too have also come across some liars in my Department, the vast majority are good guys, but the few liars make it bad for everybody.....

Now when I say "liars" I am referring to out-right criminal behavior... I got some good stories for a HERF one day.... would make your jaw hit the floor.....
    Oh man, I can only imagine

As you and George mentioned BC, like anything else in life, it's only a few who are the exception whereas most people in every line of work are honest and good workers.

Default Need information on traffic ticket small town in Illinois

Barney Fife strikes again. Small town, cop sits and generates revenue to pay his salary. I'm tried of just sending in the money and am ready to fight. Have read previous posts and have question. Can a small town court put points on my license if I plead guilty or plead innocent and lose? A lawyer would cost me more than the $75 ticket, but this is extortion. Anyone familiar with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frustrated_driver
    Barney Fife strikes again. Small town, cop sits and generates revenue to pay his salary. I'm tried of just sending in the money and am ready to fight. Have read previous posts and have question. Can a small town court put points on my license if I plead guilty or plead innocent and lose? A lawyer would cost me more than the $75 ticket, but this is extortion. Anyone familiar with this?

Where at in Illinois? It depends on what town/county this ticket was issued... Give me a few more details...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    Where at in Illinois? It depends on what town/county this ticket was issued... Give me a few more details...
    LMAO, George is only asking that question to make sure "Frustrater_Driver" ain't talking about officer Giese
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryCat86
    LMAO, George is only asking that question to make sure "Frustrater_Driver" ain't talking about officer Giese

CC - if anyone EVER gets a ticket from me, they have REALLY screwed up!!! I haven't written a ticket in about - well - three weeks or so - but it was years before that....

Actually, three weeks ago I was asked to go out and supplement patrol because they were VERY busy (gridlocked rush-hour traffic, accidents, alarm calls, etc.). I was sitting in the gridlock and you'd be amazed at what some goofs do!!! No speeding ticket for me - improper merge (Cavalier cutting off a semi after trying to race ahead of it), passing a long line of cars flying down the median (2X), and a blatant blowing of a red light and damn hear taking out cars trying to clear the intersection, to name a few... All within about a 1/2 hour time span... You know, all those things you see and say, "where's the cops when you need him!!!"

But, conversely, there are jurisdictions in the Illinois area where the ONLY source of revenue is writing speeding tickets. I hate those bastids!!! We've got one nearby that FINALLY was taken down by a new village board - THANKFULLY... It was a pain in the A$$ every time you drive through the town, getting stopped... So I sympathize with Frustrated Motorist - believe me!!!

Don't get me wrong - if there's a speed limit sign - you should be doing the posted speed limit. They are generally there for good reason!!! Otherwise, I get paid well to investigate the crashes that are a result of ignoring speed laws!!!

CC - I can see you would have trouble with that - Speed Limits are contrary to Jaguar ownership!!!

Blog Entries

LMAO!! Actually the Jags (well at least the sedans I drive) aren't really that fast, nor are they quick off the line. The little econoboxes can out do me when we both take off side by side from a green light They ride pretty nice at highway crusing speeds but it's NOT like you find yourself all of a sudden doing 80 mph without knowing it. The speedo if way off in the '92 so I have no idea how fast I'm going. It says 90 when I'm barely keeping up with traffic which means when it says 90, I'm really doing 65 to 70. I gotta REALLY push the '86 to go over 75 so I hardly ever do. The old BMW cruises nicely on the highway and even though it's one of those big old 7-series, it's faster off the line than the Jags. Now my ole Buick Park Ave, well that thing like to fly It's got one of those digital speedometers that only goes up to 85 then starts flashing Good thing I don't cross paths with you when I'm in that situation
    Last edited by CoventryCat86; 06-05-2005 at 04:11 AM.
    TBSCigars - "On Holiday"
    Grammar - It's the difference between knowing your crap and knowing you're crap.

9. Default

I'm with George on the ticket thing. You really have to piss me off to get one. Since I made Sergeant...about four years ago, I haven't written a ticket. I have a crew that I look after that takes most of my time. I do have a few guys that do their share and mine of writing them.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Frustrated_driver

Hey Fustrated_driver... I have an answer to your problem!!!

SLOW DOWN ASSHOLE

SFG75 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    Hey Fustrated_driver... I have an answer to your problem!!!

SLOW DOWN ASSHOLE

toooo tired to read this thread.. but howd the guy make out with that ticket? I woulda fought it, just show up and most of the time it gets thrown out and you win, around here at least.. I skimmed through and it looked like there are a bunch of cops on these forums? god, a little different community then the local car forums I goto :-x the two prolly wouldn't get along too well haha

SFG75 Guest

In a light-hearted manner- there is a group caled the National Motorist Association. They proclaim themselves as an organization of drivers who advocate for "driver's rights" or whatever that is(nevermind that driving is a privilege, not a right) Anyways, if you join, you can buy some deluxe kit that will help you represent yourself in court when you go and fight the "powers that be" that gave you a ticket. Supposedly, if you use it and lose, they will refund money to you-though I'm sure there's lots of fine print about that.

http://www.motorists.org/issues/tick...trategies.html

**For those following my earlier uncalled for remarks, please check out the politics thread**

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hex1848
    Well, I had my court date today. My lawyer talked to the police officer lady and got it worked out so I could plead no contest and get a judication withheld. No Points, I just paid the $117.50 fine. It seemed like I could have just gone up there my self and done it, but lawyers are always worth their weight in gold when you don’t know what you’re doing.

Congrats- smart move too

But, conversely, there are jurisdictions in the Illinois area where the ONLY source of revenue is writing speeding tickets. I hate those bastids!!! We've got one nearby that FINALLY was taken down by a new village board - THANKFULLY... It was a pain in the A$$ every time you drive through the town, getting stopped... So I sympathize with Frustrated Motorist - believe me!!!
    Any ideas where some of these areas are. Giese? Down in the southeast corner around me I know a few cops that anytime I see them on duty they are always setting there clocking other drivers with the radar gun. Of course, I guess I would be more likely to notice them when they are stationary as opposed to driving around.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmitri
    Any ideas where some of these areas are. Giese? Down in the southeast corner around me I know a few cops that anytime I see them on duty they are always setting there clocking other drivers with the radar gun. Of course, I guess I would be more likely to notice them when they are stationary as opposed to driving around.

I'm up here at the north end of the state - you speak a different language down by you!!!

Sorry - I can't tell ya what those guys do down there. Wouldn't surprise me they are sitting stationary - not much else to do usually (I envy the quiet times....)

I'm up here at the north end of the state - you speak a different language down by you!!!

Sorry - I can't tell ya what those guys do down there. Wouldn't surprise me they are sitting stationary - not much else to do usually (I envy the quiet times....)

It's not my fault that the majority of kentucky's landmass is geographically north of me. And of course, east as well.

I

Best advice here is to avoid getting the traffic tickets to begin with. Contrary to popular belief, the general idea of receiving a ticket is not to generate income, but to correct poor driving behaviors. This is crucial for reducing the number and severity of crashes.

My state trooper friend told me that he has become a "profit center" for the state. Another friend got a ticket from jim and when she went to court the judge came out and said "if anyone is here with a ticket from anyone other than officer blank, they are in the wrong courtroom.
    Jim tells me that he is required to go into a traffic flow and pick out a car to ticket, even though all the cars are running the same speed. He gets his butt put on the carpet if he doesn't keep his ticket level up.

In many states you can ask a judge to "plead guilty with a prayer for mercy". Most judges will grant this if you haven't had a lot of tickets. With this plea the case is deferred for a year, if you don't get another ticket it is dismissed after a year. You still pay the fine but get no points.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by opie
    My state trooper friend told me that he has become a "profit center" for the state. Another friend got a ticket from jim and when she went to court the judge came out and said "if anyone is here with a ticket from anyone other than officer blank, they are in the wrong courtroom.
    Jim tells me that he is required to go into a traffic flow and pick out a car to ticket, even though all the cars are running the same speed. He gets his butt put on the carpet if he doesn't keep his ticket level up.

In many states you can ask a judge to "plead guilty with a prayer for mercy". Most judges will grant this if you haven't had a lot of tickets. With this plea the case is deferred for a year, if you don't get another ticket it is dismissed after a year. You still pay the fine but get no points.

Troopers in Tennessee set all their tickets for the same day each month. This keeps overtime down and Troppers on the street. Not unusual to see one Trooper have most of a Court Docket.

Going into a flow and picking out a car is not unusual. If the car is speeding what is the problem with stopping it. If the other drivers in the flow take notice and slow down so they don't get into a high speed crash the cop has done his job. Traffic enforcement is ment to be visable...So folks see what is going on and slow down. Quotas are good for cops dowin traffic enforcement. It keeps them working and insures public visiability.

You tell me what is wrong with a plea for mercy. It gets you to be aware of your speeding and hopefully slow down. Might even save your life or some one elses.

Either your "Trooper Friend" is non-existant or he totally missed out on his training at the academy. I choose to think he is non existant and you are a Troll. Either way you look like an idiot.

[QUOTE=cigarsarge]
    QUOTE]

He is a 24 year veteran of the Virginia State Police and has received about every award given bt VSP. His feeling is that he is out there to make the highways safer and KNOWS that speed is not the big problem out there.
    If traffic is flowing at 65 mph a person driving 50 is driving recklessly.

Thread Information