Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stupid traffic ticket

1. Default

[QUOTE=opie]
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    QUOTE]

He is a 24 year veteran of the Virginia State Police and has received about every award given bt VSP. His feeling is that he is out there to make the highways safer and KNOWS that speed is not the big problem out there.
    If traffic is flowing at 65 mph a person driving 50 is driving recklessly.

Enlighten us on the real problem. What does he think is the problem? Any cop on the road KNOWS speed is a REAL problem. DUI is a real problem. Lots of speeders are DUI. You are full of crap.

Default Congeniality Award

CigarSarge gets my vote.
    Remember to breathe

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Porthos
    CigarSarge gets my vote.

Thank You

[QUOTE=cigarsarge]
    Quote Originally Posted by opie

Enlighten us on the real problem. What does he think is the problem? Any cop on the road KNOWS speed is a REAL problem. DUI is a real problem. Lots of speeders are DUI. You are full of crap.
    As you said, drunk driving is the major problem with talkin on cell phones running a close second.
    When is the LAST time that you saw an accident caused strictly by speed, where alcohol or other outside influences were not a factor??? Of all accidents that you have seen, what percentage could be put into that category (speed with no other influence)??

I have been a high speed driver for over 50 years and the only accident that I have had is being hit in the rear end by an idiot talking on a cell phone!

[QUOTE=opie]
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarsarge
    As you said, drunk driving is the major problem with talkin on cell phones running a close second.
    When is the LAST time that you saw an accident caused strictly by speed, where alcohol or other outside influences were not a factor??? Of all accidents that you have seen, what percentage could be put into that category (speed with no other influence)??

I have been a high speed driver for over 50 years and the only accident that I have had is being hit in the rear end by an idiot talking on a cell phone!
    What I find interesting is people arguing their cause based upon their own experience and understanding of the world. This seems to be especially true when they don't study accidents for a living. I see more armchair cops and accident experts than just about anything else.

I have seen quite a few accidents that were the direct result of speed alone (of course, I do accident reconstruction and it wouldn't be fair to include me in your argument). Every time you have someone who loses control due to conditions (fog, rain, snow, etc.), that is the DIRECT result of speed. Further, everytime you have someone overdriving a curve (sideslipping) is the DIRECT result of speed.

Speed (velocity) also creates predictable amounts energy in a given circumstance. This is the primary reason for engineering roadways for certain speed limits. You notice residential side streets are engineered differently than interstate highways no doubt (crash barrels, jersey barriers, chainlink fencing, etc.). That would be the reason for it...

Also, speed has a VERY significant part in the severity of the crash. And it's not just that the faster you go, the worst the crash is. The reality is the faster you go, the EXPONENTIALLY worse the crash is. In other words, crash forces act in an exponential way with the increase in velocity.

You also might want to consider how speed affects time and distance in a crash sequence. Many times speed alone creates a situation where a crash is going to occur under the right set of circumstances. If someone is traveling 50 feet per second, for example (about 30 miles per hour), they are capable of making a stop in a certain distance given the friction of the road surface. Increase that velocity to 100 feet per second (roughly 70 mph) and that all changes - stopping distances, perception/reaction distances, etc. A guy driving around with a cell phone to his ear, shaving in the car, reading the newspaper, driving under the influence, etc. adds precious time to the perception/reaction sequence. If you add increased speed to that, the likelihood of an accident increases dramatically.

As far as speed enfocement - it is a very necessary part of the law enforcement function. Not because the law enforcement agency needs to generate revenue - that's a senseless argument. Law enforcement needs to protect society from high speed drivers who think they are safe when driving at high speeds - especially given the arguments I've made above. If you don't believe me - let me put you into a test car and have someone stike that car at 25 MPH. Then we'll repeat the exercise at 35 MPH. You'll definitely feel the difference that 10 mph makes.

Bottom line - speed does cause accidents and speed does make the crash far worse than it would have been if it were not a component of the crash event.

Also, the excuse that I've been a high speed driver for the last 50 years and not been involved in an accident is the weakest part of your argument. That's just like saying I haven't won the lottery in 50 years, so my number is going to come up next. Bottom line - if you have driving behaviors that are contrary to what you SHOULD be doing, it's just a matter of time before the crash will involve you!!!

BTW - just a piece of advice - I wouldn't be publically posting your excessive speed driving habits. If, God forbid, you are involved in an accident where you are the primary cause or a contributing factor in the crash and speed was an issue - those words will come back to haunt you in a deposition... You'll dearly pay for them - believe me...
    Last edited by ggiese; 08-04-2005 at 09:44 AM.

Exclamation The game....

I live in south Florida where we get to play "the good-ole-boy" game...you get a ticket...you give it to an attorney...you pay the attorney about $75...he goes to court and gets the ticket dismissed...you pay the court costs...depending on the ticket abouot $125 to $200 for speeding, stop signs, turns and the like...dunno if they'd be so lenient with DUI/DWI...anyway, no muss, no fuss, no points, no raised insurance rates...everyone makes out...the courts/system makes their money, the attornies make their money (don't forget that judges usta be attornies )...everyone makes out...you're out a few c-notes but wotthehell, no muss, no fuss...

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=ggiese]
    Quote Originally Posted by opie

A guy driving around with a cell phone to his ear, shaving in the car, reading the newspaper, driving under the influence, etc. adds precious time to the perception/reaction sequence.
    I say if you're caught shaving while driving that you lose your license for a year. Same for reading a newspaper. Sheesh. How stupid can you be? Shaving, driving and reading all require concentration. I can't even read the paper while I'm shaving!!!

-Gerald
    --Gerald

Thread Information