Thread: Any Palm Pilot Users?

Default Any Palm Pilot Users?

Anyone have a Palm Pilot?

I just came across a Palm App called Cigar Master that lets you catalog your favorite smokes with several different perameters and tasting notes.

http://www.poohbah.com/public_html/pbcigar/pbcigar.htm

If interested let me know, I have a copy that has been patched if you want to try it out first.

it's a really good program, and i highly recommend it.

Blog Entries

That's pretty neat. I've wanted to get a handheld for a while now. I was leaning towards a pocketpc/cell phone combo. Mainly because as much as I love gadgets, I like consolidation too. I'm just waiting for a pocketpc/cellphone/~ipod combo to come out ;-)

Actually, I know all the new palm pilots offer mp3 playback. And you can get 1 gig sd cards for about $150 (can). A couple of SD cards full of tunes and your set.... Plus I am sure palm offers a cellphone/palm combo.

When entering the cigar info, how do i know what to enter??? How do I find out the ring gauge? Is there a tool? Or do I use a tape measure?

ANd how do I know if a cigar is a Coronoa or Figurado or maduro or whatever? I mean there is a whole list! And what is "Len:" ?

Sorry for the questions... I really want to use the program, I think it would help me organize all my thoughts about all the cigars I am going to be trying.... I mean there are over 5000 different cigars right?? And I already have tried a handful over the last few weeks. I know what make they where. But I don't know the style or ring guage etc... So I guess I have to enter the cigar before I smoke it, eh?
    Last edited by hex1848; 03-08-2005 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Didn't mean to edit

Blog Entries

http://www.cigarhandbook.com/RingGuide.asp That should give you an idea about the gauge. I need to work on a guide for the names of the different cigar sizes. I just haven’t had the time to work on new content in a while. Len: should just be the length (in inches) of the cigar.

Corona and Figurado are names given to the cigar based on its dimensions. A Corona for example is a cigar that is 5.5" long and has a 42-44 ring gauge.

Maduro refers to the cigar's wrapper. It's a dark wrapper. Other common wrappers are Natural and Claro.

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    When entering the cigar info, how do i know what to enter??? How do I find out the ring gauge? Is there a tool? Or do I use a tape measure?

ANd how do I know if a cigar is a Coronoa or Figurado or maduro or whatever? I mean there is a whole list! And what is "Len:" ?

Sorry for the questions... I really want to use the program, I think it would help me organize all my thoughts about all the cigars I am going to be trying.... I mean there are over 5000 different cigars right?? And I already have tried a handful over the last few weeks. I know what make they where. But I don't know the style or ring guage etc... So I guess I have to enter the cigar before I smoke it, eh?

I have the same problem. len is the length in inches as hex said, annd you can either measure it yourself, or what I have done since a lot of times i enter the info after i have smoked a stick that I have only bought a single, is go to the cigar makers website or to a site such as Cigar World ( http://www.cigarworld.com/ ) that shows size charts and measurements of the different styles. A lot of the cigar manufacturers now have that info online.

if you buy at a local tobaconist, all the info such as length, ring guage etc. is usually listed on the tag above the singles boxes (at least it is in most of my local stores). I usually don't enter it directly into the database then and there, i just jot a quick note down until i have more time later.

for that matter you can just guestimate and put a note in the notes section til you try another one and get the exact info the next time you try one.

also, under "style" you can edit catagories to add a name for those manufacturers that have different names for their sizes. All of the drop down menus are pretty configurable to your own use....just take our time and make it usable...as long as it helps you remember your cigars.

lab
    Last edited by labmonkey; 03-08-2005 at 09:58 AM.

Default Cigar dossier and method of research

I use one of my favorite books....

"Perelmans Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars, 2004 Edition."

Additionally, I purchased a Cigar Dossier, a while back. It is like a diary, where you record and paste your labels inside of it. You can also record food eaten and what you drank. It is excellent.

Default Just Checkin'

So you still using this software Roham? Just checking to see if you had gotten any use out of it. I have gotten quit a few sticks cataloged in it now...it helps me remember what I've tried. Plus I put some entries in that I want to try and i can just pull them up by looking to see which ones are not rated yet.

anyway...just checkin'

lab

About a week after my last post on this subject my palm started making *clicking* noises as if I was pushing a button, whenever I would turn it on, even though I wasn't pushing a button.... A couple of days later I inspected the palm pilot closer and noticed two of the screws on one side were missing! Well I tracked down the receipt and packed it up for the warranty work on it. Had to ship it accross the country! Haven't gotten it back yet:( I just thank god the one year warranty was still in effect cause i didn't get the extended one....

Thread Information