Thread: Churchill 'N Downs

Default Churchill 'N Downs

For those in the Chicagoland area (esp. the North Suburbs), may I suggest Churchill 'N Downs as a smoke shop. The place has a great selection and one of the kindest owners I have ever seen or interacted with. I've only been twice, but the first time, he gifted me one of his shops local cigars, and the 2nd time (today), he gifted my friend and I (we stopped in after the game at Wrigley, GO CUBS!!!!) beers, microbrews. I insisted on paying and he said, "I don't have a liquor license and I don't hand out beer " Needless to say, my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our cigars (Romeo y Julieta Robusto and Toraņo Exodus 1959) with our beers.

The shop is right off Lake-Cook Rd. before Waukegen next to the Secretary of State/DMV office. Please stop in and support Harry's shop.

Sidestory: a bunch of kids came in looking like they were looking for their 18th birthday 1st cigar. Well, nope, Harry knew them and they came in and Harry conversed with them, made suggestions, and helped them out on their choices. I asked him if he got a lot of young customers and he said, "Yeah, two kids came in a while back because another local shop treated them like kids (read punks), and they came in here and now they send all their friends here."

So, anyway, great experience there and hope you LOL types can share in it at some point.
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

2. Default

Cool story ,we have a local like that in Charlotte NC .Gotta love a nice cigar shop that is actually run by cigar smokers

K7
    The older I get ,the better I was

I never go to local store in my town (Kirkland, WA). They sell the cigars at almost triple price of onlie store. They sell the Griffin's Robusto for $ 14 and CAO L'Anniversarie Cameroon Tubo 2 for $15. Is this normal price on every local store or only one in my town? I'm a newbie on cigar so I didn't have chance to look around other cigar stores.

4. Default

WA taxes are All Phucked UP sorry to hear those prices bro,
    The older I get ,the better I was

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kevin7
    WA taxes are All Phucked UP sorry to hear those prices bro,
    Thats one of the things that supprised me about New Orleans. The tobacco tax was rediculous. I stopped into a shop on the Rue Royal and was just blown away at the prices. I asked the guy if it was because of the real estate market in the Quarter, and he said nope, the taxes kill us.
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    For those in the Chicagoland area (esp. the North Suburbs), may I suggest Churchill 'N Downs as a smoke shop. The place has a great selection and one of the kindest owners I have ever seen or interacted with. I've only been twice, but the first time, he gifted me one of his shops local cigars, and the 2nd time (today), he gifted my friend and I (we stopped in after the game at Wrigley, GO CUBS!!!!) beers, microbrews. I insisted on paying and he said, "I don't have a liquor license and I don't hand out beer " Needless to say, my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our cigars (Romeo y Julieta Robusto and Toraņo Exodus 1959) with our beers.

The shop is right off Lake-Cook Rd. before Waukegen next to the Secretary of State/DMV office. Please stop in and support Harry's shop.

Sidestory: a bunch of kids came in looking like they were looking for their 18th birthday 1st cigar. Well, nope, Harry knew them and they came in and Harry conversed with them, made suggestions, and helped them out on their choices. I asked him if he got a lot of young customers and he said, "Yeah, two kids came in a while back because another local shop treated them like kids (read punks), and they came in here and now they send all their friends here."

So, anyway, great experience there and hope you LOL types can share in it at some point.
    I work in Wauconda, IL right up Hwy 12 from Lake Cook Rd. Next time you are going there, let me know and we should plan to meet up. Sounds like a great place.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonsey5484
    I work in Wauconda, IL right up Hwy 12 from Lake Cook Rd. Next time you are going there, let me know and we should plan to meet up. Sounds like a great place.
    Sunday we're planning on getting together - either at Cigars 'n More in Libertyville, or a Churchill n's Downs in Deerfield... If you're available....

what time are you going? i might try to pop in.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Right around 12 or 1 pm. Jonesy, where do you work in wauconda, I'm a roofer in the summers and I was just at Wilsons today.

We'll keep this updated as to our sunday rendevous.

Best,
    Sean
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

/me sighs loudly.

Why can't there be someplace like this where I live. Or even someplace half as decent? One store we have is run by a real nice lady who seems to know what she's talking about fairly well, and is very helpful, but their selection is very limited. Like one little cabinet humidor. I NEED to find a decent shop.

We're spoiled around here - there are about 5 or 6 really nice shops with smoking lounges fairly close to us. The tollway oasis by us even has a cigar shop in it with a decent selection (found a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Limitada - and the guy gave me 20% off of my total purchase!!). I think it would suck if I moved out of my area.....

Quote Originally Posted by BigMacFU
    Right around 12 or 1 pm. Jonesy, where do you work in wauconda, I'm a roofer in the summers and I was just at Wilsons today.

We'll keep this updated as to our sunday rendevous.

Best,
    Sean
    I work off Bonner Road and Hwy 12. The first industrial park past the light on Old Rand Rd. All in the back. AA Thread Seal Tape, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by ggiese
    We're spoiled around here - there are about 5 or 6 really nice shops with smoking lounges fairly close to us. The tollway oasis by us even has a cigar shop in it with a decent selection (found a La Gloria Cubana Serie R Limitada - and the guy gave me 20% off of my total purchase!!). I think it would suck if I moved out of my area.....
    which oasis is that? i haven't been in them since they remodeled them.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mithril
    which oasis is that? i haven't been in them since they remodeled them.
    The Lake Forest Oasis - right smack dab in the middle of the "mall" (that's what it looks like). Nice selection of Torano's, Montecristo's, RP's, etc. Pretty decent prices as well!!!

Thread Information