Thread: Weird Problem

Default Weird Problem

I was smoking a Kahlua corona tonight. (yes a D.E. sin, I know.) The problem is that even though the Kahlua crackled a little bit when I rolled it in my fingers, it started hissing and spitting at me about 1/2 inch into the stick. Basically it was dry outside, and way too wet on the inside. I noticed that the flavor was way off as well. I had smoked a Punch R.C. Rothschild earlier that night, noticed that the flavor was worse than a gas station stick, but I didn't get any spitting. Is my humidity to high in the Humi? How can I get my cigars back to normal, and how do I get them oily on the outside?
    Last edited by TheVitaleMob; 08-15-2005 at 01:40 AM.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheVitaleMob
    I was smoking a Kahlua corona tonight. (yes a D.E. sin, I know.) The problem is that even though the Kahlua crackled a little bit when I rolled it in my fingers, it started hissing and spitting at me about 1/2 inch into the stick. Basically it was dry outside, and way too wet on the inside. I noticed that the flavor was way off as well. I had smoked a Punch R.C. Rothschild earlier that night, noticed that the flavor was worse than a gas station stick, but I didn't get any spitting. Is my humidity to high in the Humi? How can I get my cigars back to normal, and how do I get them oily on the outside?

First of all - if you're storing flavored cigars with your others, you're going to have a bit of a problem. I'd suggest you separate the two (put the flavored stuff in a tupperware container - if you leave it in a cedar humidor, the flavors will infuse in the wood).

Second, check your humidity level - you may be over humidifying your cigars. I've found its best to be in the 65% range (and sometimes lower) for optimum smokeability - othterwise you get weird burns, tunneling, off-flavor, etc.

3. Default

Your Humidity could be the problem, As already said, try to keep around 65%. This is definitly a weird problem though.....
    "I Smoke in Moderation.... Just One Cigar at a Time." Mark Twain

Default This can be a difficult time of year...

controlling humidity.

I have a cabinet humidor that runs a bit too high in the summer months, even with the AC on all day.

Humidity will go higher as the temp rises also. I struggle to keep my cabinet around 72% in late summer. Now yes, that is higher than I would like, but it seems to be as low as I can get it when the mercury rises. Sometimes it reaches 74%!!!

As the weather cools, I like to maintain about 66 to 68% rh. But that's a personal preference.

Some have suggested adding Damp-Rid to my humidor. I don't like the sound of that. God knows what's in the stuff so I'm not too keen on putting it near my cigars.

As summer goes on and it gets hotter. my smokes always taste a bit off due to the higher rh%.

I also believe that if you smoke a cigar on a really humid day or a rainy day, that in itself can throw a cigar's flavor off.

My two cents.

65% beads. PLEASE!!

also never ever store flavored cigars with your normal cigars.

sounds like you are having problems in your humidor keeping rh%

what are using for humidification. what are you using to see what your rh% is at? also what type of humidor are you using?

The cigar was over humidified when you got it. It has since started drying, but things dry from the outside in. Give them more time to equalize.

Alex, I'm using a Thompson Humidor with an analog hygrometer and one of those standard hockey puck looking himidifiers. Since buying my "sampler" of singles, I have moved all of the Kahluas back into the cedar lined, wood box that they came in to seperate them from the rest of the stock. I am thinking of buying beads to keep in the Kahlua box.

Thompson Humidor
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pomegranates: 0
    Funky Chickens: 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheVitaleMob
    Alex, I'm using a Thompson Humidor with an analog hygrometer and one of those standard hockey puck looking himidifiers. Since buying my "sampler" of singles, I have moved all of the Kahluas back into the cedar lined, wood box that they came in to seperate them from the rest of the stock. I am thinking of buying beads to keep in the Kahlua box.

Thompson Humidor

While your at it go ahead and buy beads for your humi too. It'll pay off.

Thread Information