Thread: New smoker with some questions

Default New smoker with some questions

OK so i just started smoking cigars last year at school, i don't know a whole lot about it all but i definitely enjoy hangin with friends and relaxing with a nice smoke
    ok now to the questions
    - so i was cleaning out a closet back at home and i found what i think is a humidor, do any of you know anything about an Alfred Dunhill and if they make humidors?
    - if this is a humidor what do i do to make it work?
    - i got a box of Romeo y Julietas that come in aluminum tubes, if i put them in a humidor do i need to take them out of the tubes?
    - i also have a few miscelaneous cigars that have plastic or celophane wrappers on them, do i need to take them out of those when i put them in a humidor too?
    OK sorry if thats too many questions but i don't really know what i'm doing so thanks in advance for the help

It sounds like a humidor. Can you post a picture? Any ways, if it is fairly air tight it can be used as a humidor. You just need to add a humidifier. It can be as simple as a florist sponge in a bag with some distilled water on it, or you can order some humidity beads from www.heartfeltindustries.com . As for leaving your cigars in the cello or tubes, that's personal preference. I usually keep mine on. Some people take them out. If they are already properly humidified then I would just leave them as such and throw them in your humidifier with some distilled water. Either way, let us know what you decide to do, and welcome to the best 'gar page on the web
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Blog Entries

First, welcome to the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by Lowerider
    - so i was cleaning out a closet back at home and i found what i think is a humidor, do any of you know anything about an Alfred Dunhill and if they make humidors?
    If you could post a picture of the box, we can tell you if it's a humi or a really nice Cigar Box. Even if it's a Cigar Box, if it's got a good seal you can use it as a temp Humi.

- if this is a humidor what do i do to make it work?
    If it is a Humi, you'll need a humidifier. Which, as mentioned earlier can be as simple as a sponge (unscented, none bacterial) in a cup, a humidifier from a Cigar shop, or beads. Some Cigar shops also have temp humidifiers that are cheap that you could use also. Just be sure to use distilled water if you get a humidifier from a shop. Or you can take your Cigars, put them in a large plastic zip lock bag with a damn sponge and store in a dark place (closet) until you find something better.

- i got a box of Romeo y Julietas that come in aluminum tubes, if i put them in a humidor do i need to take them out of the tubes?
    - i also have a few miscelaneous cigars that have plastic or celophane wrappers on them, do i need to take them out of those when i put them in a humidor too?

You can store them with the tubes or without and the same with the wrapper. That's a personal preference. Don't worry about the questions. Most of us ask many questions and many of us are still learning this hobby. I am one of them.

Again, welcome to the boards.

go here http://cheaphumidors.com/

they offer a free e-book on how to set up a humidor. It should be helpful.

As for the tubes, once your humidor properly set up, which could take a couple of weeks, I recommend taking the end cap off. Personal preference.

Welcome to the boards.
    You have already received good advice from the others
    Don't worry about the mule, just load the wagon.

Blog Entries

Lowrider,

I hope this can help...

Along with my 23 Cigar Humi I have a Opux S Double Corona box that I use as a Temp/Overflow Humi.

Inside I have a temp humidifier that I got from my Cigar Shop for $1.00.

If you box looks like that, then it could be a Cigar Box. Just keep in mind that Opus X boxes are build as temp Humi's. But some other Cigar boxes can be used as nice Humi's.
    Last edited by Lopaka; 08-21-2005 at 01:59 PM.

Thanks everyone for the good advice, i took my box to the local smoke shop, he set me up with a gauge and a humidifier and helped me get it all ready for my smokes
    i will try and post some pic's of how it looks now soon

Thread Information