Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Timer

Brenham, TX.....home of BlueBell Ice Cream!

Default First Timer

This is my first time on the board and I thought I'd introduce myself. Name's David, I'm a newbie out of Brenham, Texas. I recently had myself a cigar at a little get together with some friends. It was nothing special just a 4 or 5 dollar smoke we picked up at the grocery store while we were getting some food for a BBQ. I was intrirqued right off the bat at the taste and superiorty to the cheap brand stuff(swisher sweets, black and milds etc.). So I hopped on the internet and did some searching and reading and ultimately ended up over at CI. I figured since I didnt know what I liked or what was a good cigar I would try one of their samplers. I ended up with the sampler that includes 1 each of:
    - 5 Vegas Corona (5.5"x44)
    - CAO Gold Robusto (5.0"x50)
    - Felipe Dominicana 'C' (5.8"x46)
    - Fonseca Connecticut 5-50 (5.0"x50)
    - Gurkha Expedition Toro (6.0"x50)
    - Indian Tabac SF Toro Maduro (6.0"x52)
    - Perdomo Reserve La Tradicion Cameroon 'V' (6.7"x56)
    - Reserva Maxima Corona by Puros Indios (6.5"x46)

The package looked like it had a wide variety of cigars with a varrying tastes. While I was at it I went ahead and picked up a cheap $20 humidor. I believe it was the cigar jar humidor that holds something like 25 cigars. I figured the price and size was good enough since I'm just getting into the scene.

My package should arrive next week on the 22nd. I was wondering what I should do from there. I know from reading the humidor will need to be "prepped" for the cigars. What do yal recomend I use to get the humidor up to the correct humidity, and how long should I wait til I put the cigars into the container. And my final question, while the humidor is being setup, what should I keep the cigars in so they do not dry out. Since I live in Texas, the AC is always on, if it wasnt we'd all be dead from the heat so, my house is always between the temperatures of 73-76 degrees F.

Comments and suggestions for this newbie are greatly appreciated and I hope my stay on the board will be a long one!

I don't think a cigar jar needs much prepping. I would just add some distilled water to the humidification device that it comes with then throw your cigars in along with it and you should be good to go

There's a couple cigars in that list I have tried, and enjoyed. I think it was a great choice to get you started, you can experience a few different brands. One thing I hear is that if you smoke a stick and dislike it, always allow the company another chance before you just decide you don't like their cigars, the flavors can change from batch to batch, or you could of just gotten a badly rolled or bunched cigar.

Oh, and welcome to the board!!! I know you will enjoy the humor this bunch has to offer, as well as the information!
    "smoking is one of the greatest and cheapest enjoyments in life,
    and if you decide in advance not to smoke, I can only feel sorry for you."-Sigmund Freud

"The problem with the world is that we draw the circle of our family too small" - Mother Teresa

“The basic difference between an ordinary man and a warrior is that a warrior takes everything as a challenge while an ordinary man takes everything either as a blessing or a curse” – Carlos Casteneda

Listen to Roham, buy Distilled Water and fill the humidifier. The temp. inside your house sounds just about right to store cigars. You don't want to store them somewhere any hotter than that. Also, make sure and let the cigars sit in the humidor a few days before smoking them. Because they were out of a humidor for a few days when they were being shipped, you will need to bring the humidity back up in them. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Roham
    I don't think a cigar jar needs much prepping. I would just add some distilled water to the humidification device that it comes with then throw your cigars in along with it and you should be good to go

There's a couple cigars in that list I have tried, and enjoyed. I think it was a great choice to get you started, you can experience a few different brands. One thing I hear is that if you smoke a stick and dislike it, always allow the company another chance before you just decide you don't like their cigars, the flavors can change from batch to batch, or you could of just gotten a badly rolled or bunched cigar.

Oh, and welcome to the board!!! I know you will enjoy the humor this bunch has to offer, as well as the information!

DITTO that. All good advice.

Welcome to CS.
    Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. - - Mark Twain

Another Texas boy! welcome to the group.

Brenham, Texas....isn't that home of Bluebell Icecream?

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey

Yes.....yes it is. Only thing this town is known for lol. Thank god I was born and raised in Houston!

From one newbie to another welcome brother. Welcome !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by labmonkey

mmmm Homemade Vanilla... I cant get enough of the stuff.. granted it does nothing for my girlish figure....
    Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. -- Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Welcome to the board!

Welcme to the board! From here, I'd just enjoy your smokes, start posting, and read even more. If you end up staying in the hobby, you'll soon be rid of the jar and onto a cooledor (search threads for cooledor info) and humidification beads. You'll also be spending a lot more money than you had ever intended

If you ever have any questions ask us, and if we've answered it before we'll say search if we're feeling tired. Otherwise you'll have about thirty answers in a matter of a couple hours.

Again, welcome, and just for you GO CUBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair." -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Welcome to Cigarsmokers.com

One last bit of advice. Since jars store cigars upright and they can move around more, the wrappers are prone to a little more stress. Keep the cellophane on to protect your cigars from minor wrapper damage.

just wanted to welcome you to Cigarsmokers.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
    and I'm not sure about the former." -
    Albert Einstein

Default And what's WRONG about Bluebell Ice Cream!!!!!??????

There's nothing wrong with a small town. AND THERE"S NOTHING WRONG OR SHAMEFUL ABOUT BLUEBELL ICECREAM!!!!!!!

http://www.bluebell.com/Default.htm

Oh God! Poor Bessie! She works SO hard. Day and night at the milking machine. Sucking and sucking her teats! Draing her bone dry just so that you can enjoy THE INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE OF BLUEBELL ICE CREAM!!!!

YOU BASTARDS! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HER!!!????

No, but seriously. There are millions who would probably love to live there if they only could. But then it wouldn't be a small town anymore. Would it?

Hell, my town is known for the jet engine, shoes, drugs and prostitution. Oh.... I forgot to mention drive by shootings and murder.

I'd prefer Ice Cream any day.

Default By the way....

welcome to the board!

haha thanks guys for the welcome! after i figure what brand i like ill go ahead and read up on a coolidor lol. they look cheap and seem to function well.

and btw......go astros.....

Tomorrow........well actually today, considering its 2:30 a.m, I'm going to stop by a cigar shop here in Houston and pick me up a few sticks for the week. Im helping move my girlfriend into her dorm last this week, and I figured since I was in town why not pick me up a few sticks at the a shop in town. So, that being said; anyone have any suggestions on what I should pick up? I dont want to smoke any $12 cigars the next couple days but maybe a few $4-6 ones. Appreciate yals opinions yet again!

P.S. - Leave me a list of about 3-4 cigars that vary diversly in flavor.(Remember I'm still in the taste testing stage of my life)

Default Some good $5 smokes......

Arturo Fuente Double Chateau SUNGROWN wrapper

Romeo y Julieta Clemenceau en Tubo (en tubo = in tube)

Indian Tabac Classic Tomahawk

Carlos Torano Exodus Silver Gran Churchill

Bauza Fabuloso

Punch Deluxe Corona Gorda

well....a couple might be around $6.00...what the hell....splurge!

19. Default

Hey dHutch--if you can find Padrons, these are excellent and usually cost 2-4 bucks apiece. Not the Anniversary varieties, but the regular Padrons--great smokes for just a few bucks. My favs.

Quote Originally Posted by MMAB
    There's nothing wrong with a small town. AND THERE"S NOTHING WRONG OR SHAMEFUL ABOUT BLUEBELL ICECREAM!!!!!!!

http://www.bluebell.com/Default.htm

Oh God! Poor Bessie! She works SO hard. Day and night at the milking machine. Sucking and sucking her teats! Draing her bone dry just so that you can enjoy THE INCREDIBLE EXPERIENCE OF BLUEBELL ICE CREAM!!!!

YOU BASTARDS! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HER!!!????

No, but seriously. There are millions who would probably love to live there if they only could. But then it wouldn't be a small town anymore. Would it?

Hell, my town is known for the jet engine, shoes, drugs and prostitution. Oh.... I forgot to mention drive by shootings and murder.

I'd prefer Ice Cream any day.
    Just listen to the theme song, it will calm you down:

Blue Bell homemade ice cream
    It's the perfect way to saaaay
    Have yourself a Blue Bell country daaaaay.
    There's only two kinds of cigars, the kind you like and the kind you don't.

Thread Information